READ THE FULL ARTICLE for additional links, coverage, and pictures of the winners and heroes...
The Jazz Journalists Association Jazz Awards are selected when Professional Journalist Members of the JJA made open nominations in a first selection round; those who received the most nominations advanced to the final ballot. Musical Achievement categories include Lifetime Achivement and awards for Musician,Up and Coming Artist, Composer, Arranger, Record, Historical Record, Record Label/Platform, Male and Female Singer, Large / Midsize / Trio-Duo Ensembles, and individual instruments. Each of the Musical Achievement award winners receive their award at one of their upcoming performances.
Winners in the Journalism and Media categories were awarded at the Jazz Award event on Tuesday, June 16, at the Blue Note Jazz Club in New York City. Nominees in most categories were chosen by the votes of the Professional Journalist Members of the Jazz Journalists Association. Nominations were made on the basis of work done in calendar year 2014, with the exception of Lifetime Achievement Awards categories, in which nominations are for a lifetime body of work. Members and others were able to submit their own work for consideration in the Photo of the Year and Best Shortform Video of the Year categories; committees of JJA Members chose the nominees in those categories from among the submissions.
From the Jazz Journalists Association website
: The Jazz Journalists Association is pleased to announce the 2015 Jazz Heroes: advocates, altruists, activists, aiders and abettors of jazz who have had significant impact in their local communities. The 'Jazz Hero' awards, made annually on the basis of nominations from community members, are presented in conjunction with the JJA's annual Jazz Awards honoring significant achievements in jazz music and journalism and with the month-long celebration of JazzApril. The Heroes will receive their awards at public events in their communities.
1. Ann Arbor MI: Don Chisholm
2. Baltimore: Charles Funn
3. (SF)Bay Area: Avotcja Jiltonilro
4. Bloomington IN:Monika Herzig
5. Boston: Mark Sumner Harvey
6. Chicago: Tatsu Aoki
7. Madison: Howard Landsman
8. Memphis: David C. Bradford, Sr.
9. Memphis: Jack N. Schaffer
10. New Brunswick NJ: Virginia DeBerry
11. New Orleans Dr. Michael White
12. NY Capital Region Lee Shaw
13. New York City: Kim A. Clarke
14. Philadelphia Mark Christman
15. Pittsburgh: Dr. Nelson Harrison
16. Portland OR: Mel Brown
17. Santa Cruz CA: Tim Jackson
18. Seattle: Mack Waldron
19. South Florida: Nicole Yarling
20. St. Louis: Don Wolff
21. Tallahassee FL: Carole & Stan Fiore
22. Washington D.C.: Charles Fishman
23. Woodstock NY: Dr. Bruce Milner