Marc Cary Showing The Rhodes Ahead In The New Music Adds To The Jazz 88.3 Music Library 2015.03.23
Jazz keyboardist and innovator Marc Cary's "Rhodes Ahead, Vol. 2" is once again "energizing" as he picks up 14 years later after the first volume in 2001 and leads the way in a list of great New Releases to San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Music Library for the week of March 23, 2015.
You can check out their debut each week on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday evenings 6-8pm PT
and then your favorite Jazz 88.3 Hosts will be adding them to their playlists for YOU to enjoy and learn!
- MARC CARY – “RHODES AHEAD, VOL.2”
- RACHEL CASWELL – “ALL I KNOW”
- ANDREW DiRUZZA QUINTET – “SHAPES AND ANALOGIES”
- KERI JOHNSRUD – “THIS SIDE OF MORNING”
- ROBERT KENNEDY TRIO – “BIG SHOES”
- DANA LANDRY QUARTET – “STANDARD ELEVATION”
- CHRIS LIGHTCAP'S BIGMOUTH - "EPICENTER"
- CHRIS McNULTY – “ETERNAL”
- CURTIS NOWOSAD – “DIALECTICS”
- PALTY, ADLER, PORTER, PRENÉ, PELLITERI – “ARTY FACTS”
- DAVE STRYKER – “MESSIN’ WITH MISTER T”
- REGGIE QUINERLY – “INVICTUS”
- MATTHEW SHIPP – “THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW AND MICHAEL”
- DOUG WEBB – “TRIPLE PLAY”
MARC CARY – “RHODES AHEAD, VOL.2”
RACHEL CASWELL – “ALL I KNOW”
- Joe: Female vocalist, with minimalist interpretations of old and new standards.
- Jeff Simon, Buffalo News:
- series of duets – most with superb guitarist Dave Stryker
- “Amid far too many singers who are forgettable in a variety of negligible ways, Caswell is a hugely memorable standout. She’s one worth a devoted following.”
ANDREW DiRUZZA QUINTET – “SHAPES AND ANALOGIES”
- Joe: Guitarist, leading a quintet, doing straight-ahead originals.
- Social: Facebook
- Susan Frances, AXS: “The Andrew DiRuzza Quintet plays with the knowledge of veteran professionals while incorporating original excursions into their music. A combination of improvised movements and structured motifs, Shapes and Analogies is art being made while living in the moment.”
ROBERT KENNEDY TRIO – “BIG SHOES”
- Joe: Organist, leading a classic organ/guitar trio, doing straight-ahead originals.
- Social: Facebook
DANA LANDRY QUARTET – “STANDARD ELEVATION”
- Joe: Pianist, leading a quartet, performing straight-ahead standards.
- Joe: Bassist/guitarist leading a creative ensemble through a program of all originals.
- Social: Twitter @LightcapBass
- Chris Lightcap's Bigmouth: Epicenter (2015) Marc Corroto, AllAboutJazz.com
- a sideman to leaders such as Regina Carter, Matt Wilson, Joe Morris, Marc Ribot, and Craig Taborn
- "As a leader and composer...He continues to display his ability to sculpt music utilizing a two-tenor saxophone lineup. with Tony Malaby and Chris Cheek. "
- Joe: Female vocalist, backed by a trio and chamber ensemble, performing straight-ahead jazz tunes, standards and originals).
- Social: Twitter @McNultyJazz, Linkedin
- Joe: Drummer, leading a quintet, performing straight-ahead originals and jazz tunes.
- Social: Facebook, Twitter @CurtisNowosad
- Curtis Nowosad: Dialectics (2015) (Dan Bilawsky, AllAboutJazz.com)
- “Kevin Sun's liner notes set the record straight: According to Sun, "neo-hard bop" is a more accurate term for this music.
- “ sophomore album from Curtis Nowosad”
- ”born out of the Winnipeg native's time spent studying at the University of Manitoba”
- ”The nine numbers on Dialectics seem to fly by. Tight arrangements, thrilling solos, and memorable melodies all help to make for a pleasant listening experience. “
- Kevin Sun, liner notes to "Dialectics": "Jazz is communities of artists with differing but related sensibilities from which streams of influence emanate and move through time concurrently." (hat tip to Mark S. Tucker for quoting Kevin)
- Dialectics review (Mark S. Tucker): "...Nowosad and ensemble are re-evoking a form from certain waves of jazz history always in danger of being lost, for the precise reason I referred to: Curtis is HEAVILY into a mode that made the day of Mingus, Kirk, Monk, Miles, and all the rest so damnably precedential, an era that has yet to be surmounted…but he's also up to the minute within that very disciplined motif..."
- Joe: Quintet, performing a nice collection of straight-ahead originals.
DAVE STRYKER – “MESSIN’ WITH MISTER T”
- Joe: Drummer, leading a quintet, performing straight-ahead originals.
MATTHEW SHIPP – “THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW AND MICHAEL”
- Joe: Pianist, leading a bass/viola trio, performing progressive originals.
- Joe: Saxophonist, joined by 2 other saxes, along with organ and drums, doing straight-ahead originals, standards and jazz tunes.
- Brent Black, Critical Jazz:
- “Doug Webb is joined with tenor titans Joel Frahm and Walt Weiskopf “
- “A hard bop visceral slap to the head has Triple Play virtually flawless.”
- “An old school blowing session that can touch your heart and set you're hair on fire at the same time!”
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE