SAN DIEGO'S
San Diego's Jazz

Portrait in Jazz Comments

Portrait in Jazz Comments
Blog Name: CommentsAuthor: Joe Kocherhans , Music Director/OperationsPosted on: May 14, 2012

Login to add to your bookmarks.
COMMENTS:
Joe K:1/17/2013 11:20:54 AM
Cedar Walton is one of my favorite piano players. His expressiveness is always a constant surprise when he solos. He has also written many tunes that have become Jazz standards. He first came to notice as a member of one the many great Art Blakey Jazz Messenger bands, and has been creating wonderful Jazz ever since. Join me for an hour of his creativity on "Portrait in Jazz".
Joe K:12/6/2012 9:10:39 AM
I have met many Jazz luminaries in my broadcasting career. Sadly, I never personally met Dave Brubeck. I did talk to him briefly on the phone once, and found him to be friendly and unpretentious, very comfortable with who he was. I was lucky enough to see him perform, and he never lost his fire for performing. He was the rarest of cultural entities, a popular Jazz musician. I am of the age where "Take Five" was probably the first Jazz tune I knew. He could groove to the strangest time signatures, and he and Paul Desmond created some of the most sublime, creative interplay I've ever heard.
Joe K:10/3/2012 11:56:21 AM
Many of you have not heard of Niels Lan Doky. He lives and works in Europe for the most part. The son of a Vietnamese father and Danish mother, he is an exquisite pianist, and a brilliant composer of unique and original material. His brother Christian Minh Doky usually serves as his bass player. In recent years, he has produced films extolling the virtues of Jazz. Join me for an hour of music from this unique voice in Jazz.
Joe K:8/31/2012 10:52:02 AM
Although probably not the first name that comes in to your mind when you think of Jazz trumpeters, Kenny Dorham belongs with the elite in Jazz history. I never ceased to be amazed at the subtle complexity conveyed in his improvisations. He was a great writer, as well, having contributed numerous tunes to the great Jazz songbook, including "Blue Bossa", one of the most recognizable tunes in Jazz.
Joe K:8/30/2012 12:13:22 PM
Pat Martino is a quintessential jazz guitarist, admired by his peers as a true master. It's hard to believe, but a brain aneurysm gave him amnesia, which caused him to lose his ability to play. He rebounded by listening to his old recordings, and re-emerged to become one of the leading jazz musicians of our time.
Joe K:8/20/2012 12:12:31 PM
Quintessentially Jazz. He played straight ahead, always. First on the trumpet, then more often the flugelhorn, they finally came up with something in-bewteen, called a flumpet, designed just for him. The Jazztet, with Benny Golson, are some of the finest Jazz recordings ever-made, adding to his own legacy as a recording artist. I met him once, and introduced him on stage. A perfect gentleman, and a great night of Jazz.
Donate to Jazz 88.3
Listen to Jazz Radio
Click +1 if you like this song
Jazz 88.3 Wine Club City College Student Radio
KSDS HD2
Listen Live
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
Smartphone Apps
Jazz88 iPhone App
Click on the +1 button
if you like this page
KSDS Jazz 88.3 is a non-profit 501c3 organization, a part of the San Diego City College Foundation.
Playlist Archive is a service of NetChain Communications, Inc.
NetChain CommunicationsSearch Engine OptimizationSearch Engine PlacementHostingHSA ConstructionAccess My ComputerSan Diego Web Site DesignWeb FrameworkSharco TechnologyBiorhythm CalculatorAndrey ShamilovWeb Site Design - San DiegoAndrey PhotographyContent ManagementPhoto GalleryExcess InventoryDigital Photography NewsLev ShamilovObsolete, Hard-To-FindCross Reference SpecialistSan Diego Computer ServiceCarlsbad Computer RepairElectronic Parts ComponentsDr. Gundry's Diet EvolutionAvocado OilAuto Body Repair in PasadenaCreation vs. Evolution DVDBiorhythm WaveformsKenpo Connection by Herb PatusKarate and the ChristianKenpo Self DefenseFederal Jazz ProjectLaguna Canyon WineryMartin Ray and AngelineSan Joaquin WineManzanita CreekEmployee Performance ProgramsEmployee Safety Awareness ProgramsSales Awards Incentives RecognitionEmployee Service Award ProgramsEmployee Safety Awareness Stamp ProgramsEmployee Safety Performance Milestone ProgramsPositive Safety AwarenessJazz CatalogMother BellMother BelleEmployee RecognitionSana Designs