Serena Geroe - Ernie Henry - John Abercrombie - Jazz in the Night Tuesday - August 29 2017
|On the Tuesday, August 29, 2017 installment of Jazz In The Night Tuesday (Weekly, Midnight to 2 AM PT), young lion Serena Geroe gets some airtime before her Friday Handlery Happy Hour, birthday boy Ernie Henry gets over his Brilliant Corner, and I share San Diego Jazz' thoughts on John Abercrombie's passing, plus I feature music from artists making their way to San Diego, celebrating birthday anniversaries, and more, plus a musical rundown of the upcoming week on the San Diego Jazz and Blues Scene and upcoming Jazz and Blues Birthdays and On This Day in Jazz Milestones! LISTEN LIVE or Replay Jazz In The Night Tuesday any day of the week from the Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy!|
Here's the replay of the August 29, 2017 show!
Or, you can always use this to listen live to Jazz 88.3!
READ ON for Music, Links, Birthdays, On This Day In Jazz and more...
08/29/17 00:00 AM Herbie Hancock Speak Like A Child [Wikipedia]Blue Note The Sorcerer
08/29/17 00:07 AM DeJohnette Genadier Medeski ScofieldHudson Motema Music Woodstock
08/29/17 00:13 AM John Beasley Monk'estra Vol. 2 Mack Avenue Criss Cross
BREAK: Blues Jam - Guest: Jacko Marcellino
08/29/17 00:24 AM Vinny Golia Lineage Hsaibde
“The quartet plays at a relaxed organized groove, outside enough to please adventurous fans, yet composed enough for casual listening.” (Vinny Golia: Lineage, Mark Corroto, AllAboutJazz.com)
Jazz Live- Reedman Vinny Golia • Tuesday, September 12th - Jazz Live welcomes acclaimed reedman, Vinny Golia, as he marks his debut at the Saville Theatre. This composer, bandleader and multi-woodwind performer will be fronting a quintet for an unforgettable night of music. If you are a current Jazz88 member you can reserve up to two free tickets in the Speakeasy. For the general public, you can call Ken Borgers at 619-388-3301 to become a member or to purchase tickets. Thanks to Big Front Door Sandwich Shop for providing food for the Jazz Live artists. Remember, that good ole' parking pass and come hungry, as we'll have food trucks on site before the show!
08/29/17 00:33 AM Gilbert CastellanosFederal Jazz Project N/A Leap Year
08/29/17 00:37 AM Rodney Jones The Undiscovered Few Blue Note Oliver & Thad
“You're going to exclaim a huge "wow!" upon hearing this one for the first time and with repeated listenings gain more enjoyment from this exciting recording. Clearly an extraordinary modern jazz effort, certainly the best of Jones' career, and a solid candidate for Jazz CD of 1999” (Review of “The Undiscovered Few”, Michael G. Nastos, AllMusic.com)
BREAK: San Diego Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights for Tuesday, August 29 through Monday, September 4
08/29/17 00:47 AM Ambassadors of Soul featuring Serena Geroe AoS AoS What's Going On
08/29/17 00:51 AM Flying Horse Big Band Big Man On Campus Flying Horse Records The One For You
08/29/17 00:58 AM Charlie Parker Charlie Parker With Strings: The Master Takes Verve Dancing In The Dark
08/29/17 01:01 AM Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners Riverside Records Brilliant Corners
08/29/17 01:13 AM John AbercrombieTimeless ECM Records Ralph's Piano Waltz
BREAK: Car Donation
08/29/17 01:20 AM Alan Broadbent Developing Story Eden River Records Developing Story (Movement 1)
08/29/17 01:30 AM John McLean / Clark Sommers Parts Unknown Origin Records Labor Day
BREAK: Jazz and Blues Birthdays and On This Day Milestones, August 29 through September 4
08/29/17 01:39 AM Louis Hayes Serenade For Horace Blue Note Records St. Vitus Dance
08/29/17 01:46 AM Miles Davis Bitches Brew CD 2Columbia Miles Runs The Voodoo Down
San Diego Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights for Tuesday, August 29 through Monday, September 4
- Wednesday, August 30
- LAST DAY TO PURCHASE TICKETS: Jazz 88.3 Night at Petco Park!
- Jazz 88.3 Night at Petco Park! When you purchase tickets to see our San Diego Padres battle it out against the St. Louis Cardinals, Thursday, September 7th at 6:10PM, you'll be supporting your favorite Jazz and Blues radio station, as $5 per ticket goes directly to Jazz 88.3. Come enjoy the game at beautiful Petco Park and sit with some of your favorite Jazz 88.3 hosts and staff in some of the best seats at the park! Seats are limited and are selling fast! To purchase tickets now, click HERE! *Last day to purchase tickets is 8/30
- Thursday, August 31
- Friday, September 1
- Tuesday, August 29
- Charlie"Bird"Parker08/29/1920100[Alto Saxophone]Alto SaxophonistKansas City, KS
- DinahWashington08/29/1924100[Vocals-Lead]VocalistTuscaloosa, AL
- BennieMaupin08/29/1946100[Saxophone]SaxophonistDetroit, MI
- Miles Davis's seminal fusion record, Bitches Brew.
- JerryDodgion08/29/1932100[Saxophone]SaxophonistRichmond, CA
- Benny Goodman recorded "Tiger Rag" and "Shine" for Columbia Records in 1945.
- Dexter Gordon recorded "A Swingin� Affair" for Blue Note in 1962.
- Wednesday, August 30
- KennyDorham08/30/1924100[Trumpet]TrumpeterFairfield, TX
- RodneyJones08/30/1956100[Guitar]GuitaristNew Haven, CT
- Herbie Hancock recorded "Inventions And Dimensions" on Blue Note in 1963.\
- Thursday, August 31
- PaulWinter08/31/1939100[Saxophone]SaxophonistAltoona, PA
- WiltonFelder08/31/1940100[Bass] [Tenor Saxophone]Bassist/SaxophonistHouston, TX
- HermanRiley08/31/1940100[Saxophone]SaxophonistNew Orleans, LA
- A young Frank Sinatra, at the age of 23, cut "All Or Nothing At All" with the Harry James Band in 1939 for Columbia Records.
- Friday, September 1
- ArtPepper09/01/1925100[Saxophone]SaxophonistGardena, CA
- GeneHarris09/01/1933100[Organ] [Piano]PianistBenton Harbor, Michigan
- WayneHorvitz09/01/1955100[Piano]New York City
- Trumpeter Cat Anderson joined Duke Ellington"s Orchestra at the Earle Theater in Philadelphia in 1944. And that started his 24 year association with Duke Ellington.
- Saturday, September 2
- HoraceSilver09/02/1928100[Piano]PianistNorwalk, Conn2014
- Vertical Voices - Music of Maria Schnieder
- LaurindoAlmeida09/02/1917100[Guitar]GuitaristSao Paulo ,Brazil
- Gerry Mulligan's Quartet recorded "My Funny Valentine" in Los Angeles in 1952. Chet Baker's solo brought him to center stage.
- saxophonist Dewey Redman died of liver failure on this day in 2006, in Brooklyn, New York. He was 75.
- Sunday, September 3
- ErnieHenry09/03/1926100[Saxophone]SaxophonistNew York City
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Corners - On October 15, Monk attempted to record the title track with the same band during a four-hour session. The complexity of the title track became a challenge for Monk's sidemen, who attempted twenty-five takes, and led to tension between him and Henry, who nearly broke down mentally, and Pettiford, who exchanged harsh words with Monk during the session. Monk tried to make it easier on Henry by not playing during his alto solo. During one of the takes, producer Orrin Keepnews and others in the control room could not hear Pettiford's playing and checked his bass microphone for a malfunction, but ultimately realized that he was pantomiming his playing. Without a completed single take, Keepnews ultimately pieced together the album version from multiple takes.
- PeterBernstein09/03/1967100[Guitar]New York City
- MickeyRoker09/03/1932100[Drums and Percussion]DrummerMiami, FL
- Artie Shaw recorded "Special Delivery Stomp," "Summit Ridge Drive," "Keepin' Myself For You" and "Cross Your Heart" on Bluebird Records in 1940.
- Billie Holiday recorded "The Lady Sings the Blues" in 1954 for Verve Records.
- Monday, September 4
- Meade LuxLewis09/04/1905100[Piano]Boogie Woogie PianistChicago, IL
- DavidLiebman09/04/1946100[Saxophone]SaxophonistBrooklyn, NY
- LonniePlaxico09/04/1960100[Bass]BassistChicago, IL
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE