This Is The New Jazz Thing Monday July 21 2014 - Sean Jones Antar Martin Aggregation
On tonight's show,
- Antar Martin previews his Aggregation's upcoming Eric Dolphy Tribute Concert. Check out the audio and video!
- We debut the 2014.07.14 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library with quotes from album reviews,
- Antar guests on the Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart for July 21, 2014,
- and lots more!
After the split, links to Jazz 88 Speakeasy for the show and interviews, links to tonight's playlist aon the Playlist Archive, a nice shot of Antar and I, and more...here's the playlist for tonight...
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, July 21, 2014 (1:53:32)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Antar Martin Eric Dolphy Tribute Concert Preview, Monday, July 21, 2014 (6:27)
- Members of the Antar Martin Aggregation, Bassist Antar Martin and San Diego Jazz Master Kamau Kenyatta, stop by The New Jazz Thing to preview their upcoming July 25th show at 98 Bottles featuring the music of Eric Dolphy, as well as compositions that featured Eric’s playing by Monk and Mingus. We’ll be chatting with them in Hour 1 (6-7 PM PT)
- Here's video of our interview....
- 2014.7.21 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: An abundance of New Jazz hits the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 21, 2014, including new releases by Jazz stalwarts like Anthony Branker, Robin Eubanks, Larry Goldings, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Warfield with Randy Brecker, and former TNJT Guest Walt Weiskopf and a fantastic never-before-issued live solo performance by pianist Jaki Byard. And lots of new jazz artists to explore too!
- Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart, Monday, July 21, 2014: The new No. 1 on the JazzWeek Jazz Chart this week, and the most reported release (59 stations), is Jimmy Cobb The Original Mob (Smoke Sessions). Most added (+24) and biggest gainer (+101) is Cyrus Chestnut Midnight Melodies (Smoke Sessions). The top debut (No. 15) is Sean Jones im.pro.vise (Mack Avenue).
- Check out TNJT Guest Antar Martin helping me out with the Top 10!
- The New Jazz Giveaways! This week during the show, we'll be giving way these new disc: DEE ALEXANDER – “SONGS MY MOTHER LOVES” and DIVA – “A SWINGIN’ LIFE”. Listen for your chance to win and then call 619-388-3162!
- Barbara Morrison Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, June 22, 2014: Barbara also has a new disc released last week on Jazz 88, "I Love You, Yes I Do", so we'll sample that in anticipation of the 18-piece Jazz orchestra she brings with her tomorrow!
- Coming Up on The New Jazz Thing Calendar (click to subscribe to TNJT Google Calendar)...
- Fred Hersch Monday 7/28/14
- Andy Waddell, Monday, July 28, 2014
- Dimitri Methany, Monday, August 11, 2014
- Last week on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, July 14, 2014...
- Previous Highlights on TNJT...
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Gabriel Sundy of The Applebrown Jazz Ensemble "The Way On Up" Interview, Monday, July 7, 2014 (19:23)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Charles McPherson on George Coleman, The New Jazz Thing, Monday, June 30, 2014 (16:16)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Marcus Robert "From Rags To Rhythm" Interview, Monday, June 23, 2014 (18:03) #49 Jazzweek 7/14/14
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: JC Stylles "Blakey Grease" Interview on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, June 16, 2014 (17:47) #11 Jazzweek 7/21/14
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Peter Sprague and Kevyn Lettau "Ocean In Your Eyes" Interview on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, June 16, 2014 (26:16)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Holly Hofmann "Low Life: The Alto Flute Project" Interview, Monday, June 2, 2014 (20:33) YEA...#18 Jazzweek 7/21/14
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Eric Reed "The Adventurous Monk" Interview, Monday, May 19, 2014 (14:44) #42 Jazzweek 7/14/14!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Alan Broadbent "America The Beautiful" Interview, Monday, May 5, 2014 (22:55) Jazzweek #43 7/14/14
- (Postponed) Trumpeter Sean Jones' new 2014 release “Im.Pro.Vise: Never Before Seen”, his 7th for Mack Avenue Records, is the first of his own recordings to be done completely live with his quartet, without the aid of post-production work such as overdubs. Critical Jazz calls it “...the finest recording of his career.” Sean is also former member of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra and is currently Associate Professor of Jazz at Duquesne University in his adopted hometown of Pittsburgh and Professor of Trumpet at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. He will be joining us in Hour 2 of The New!
- BE PART OF THE SHOW! Follow TNJT on Twitter, LikeThe New Jazz Thing on Facebook, and share something about The New @Jazz88 with the #TNJT or #Jazz88 hashtags! We may even be able to mention your name and comment during the Live show and you'll be part of the Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive!
- LIVE Monday, July 21, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!).
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE