The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
|I've got a couple of fun interviews queued up for The New Jazz Thing, Monday January 9, 2012 6-8 PM PT on Jazz 88.3 FM KSDS San Diego Webcast at Jazz 88...|
- Paul Keeling - Former San Diego pianist and member of Gilbert Castellanos' band in the 90's is playing at a Dizzy's San Diego show at 98 Bottles and has his 2011 release "The Farthest Reach" for us to listen to and chat about.
- Ian Tordella - San Diego saxophonist who is Kickstarting his latest CD "Tragic Comedy" with a Kickstarter.com project and a January 21 gig / art-showing at 98 Bottles (I'm sensing a rising Jazz venue here), so we'll be chatting with Ian about that and his other goings-on.
- First New Adds for 2012 (although some look mighty old to me)
- Jazz News: Kickstarter Music Project stats for 2011 (it was a good year for music projects), alternative ways of selling music such as Bandcamp, portfolio careers for musicians, and more New! Follow TNJT Jazz News on Facebook and Twitter.
|On The New Jazz Thing Monday, December 26, 2011 we'll be looking back at some of the best music, interviews, concerts we've had the pleasure of sharing in 2011. We made a big move to Monday night in 2011 (TNJT was on Thursdays for over 10 years) and we had some great times in studio, on the phone, at Jazz Live San Diego, and more. We'll also look at some of the Jazz critics picks across the net for best of 2011. |
|Why Jazz? A question a lot of us Jazzers get when asked about our passion for the music, it's history, and part in American and World Culture. NPR Jazz Critic and Author of the 2011 book "Why Jazz?" Kevin Whitehead will chat with us on The New Jazz Thing on Monday December 19, 2011 between 7:20 and 7:40 PM PT about that, the stories he covered and his favorites releases of 2011, and a look at what's coming up in for Jazz in 2012.|
- Oxford Press: Why Jazz? Includes a summary and some quotes from reviews of the book.
- BandDirector review of Why Jazz? including links to audio and video corresponding to parts of the book they are talking about.
- JazzTimes.com: Kevin Whitehead Jazz Answers and Questions. Lee Mergner does a cool interview with Kevin about the work and explaining Jazz to newer listeners.
- And here are some of Kevin's favorites for 2011...
- 2011 best (again & as ever, I’d rather list 10 good ones than try to rank them, so divide the points how you do. three are from the last century. in zedyxical order:)
Craig Taborn, Avenging Angel, ECM
Tyshawn Sorey, Oblique – I, Pi
São Paulo Underground, Três Cabeças Loucuras, Cuneiform
Michael Moore Quartet, Amsterdam, Ramboy
Roscoe Mitchell, Before There Was Sound, Nessa
Billy Hart, Sixty-Eight, SteepleChase
Gigi Gryce, Doin’ the Gigi, Uptown
Ran Blake/Dominique Eade, Whirlpool, Jazz Project
Tim Berne, Insomnia, Clean Feed
Ambrose Akinmusire, When the Heart Emerges Glistening, Blue Note
Bryan Hooten, Richmond Love Call (Solo Trombone), Bryan Hooten
Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Faith, 5Passion
Ran Blake/Dominique Eade, Whirlpool, Jazz Project
reissues (no particular order):
Julius Hemphill, Dogon A.D., International Phonograph
FMP Im Rückblick - In Retrospect, FMP
Modern Jazz Quartet, Atlantic Studio Recordings, Mosaic
|One of the inventors of Funk, Fred Wesley, will be chatting with me Monday, December 19, 2011 6:40 PM PT on The New Jazz Thing! He will be playing December 30, 2011 with the Greyboy Allstars at the Belly Up Tavern, so we'll chat about that, "The Lost Album" of never before released music from The JB's and Fred, his Jazzy history (and there is LOTS of that with Count Basie's Orch, George Benson...), and more...really looking forward to it! Here are some funky good licks to wet your appetite!|
- Where's Fred! It's all on his blog...and there are some great pictures there too!
- Fred's Allmusic.com Bio (by Jason Ankeny). And it's a short click away to his Discography, and Credits (where you see ALL the James Brown, Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, and lots more that Fred has played on). Wow!
- And you know that Fred Tweets @FunkyFredWesley!
|On The New Jazz Thing, Monday December 5, 2011 6-8 PM PT...|
- Do You Have A New Jazz Project in 2012? Share it on our Facebook page at http://Facebook.com/TheNewJazzThing or on Twitter @TNJT and we'll share it on the show tonight and all through December! We are looking to 2012 on The New Jazz Thing!
- Starting to check out the new Holiday Jazz for 2011!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart Top 10!
|Coming up Monday, November 28, 2011 6-8 PM PT on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw on Jazz 88!|
- An Interview with Pat Martino! The legendary Jazz guitarist made the first of his over 25 recordings as a leader in 1967 (El Hombre on Pretige), suffered a memory-erasing accident in 1980, and has climbed to the top of the Jazz charts with his new release "Undeniable".
- We'll be backtracking to some of the recently added new discs in the Jazz 88 Library that we haven't gotten to in the last couple of weeks.
Pat Launer's Center Stage
|Click +1 if you like this song |
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
|Click on the +1 button|
if you like this page