The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
|On The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw for Monday, March 11, 2013 6-8 PM PT...|
- San Diego New Jazz Things with Peter Sprague, Rob Thorsen, and Steph Johnson Monday March 11 2013: It's a San Diego New Jazz Things special featuring music, performance and chats with Peter Sprague, Rob Thorsen, and Steph Johnson in Hour 2 of The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday, March 11, 2013 starting at 7 PM PT! Peter (String Consort's "Dr. Einstein's Spin" and Road Work Ahead's "Intersection"), Rob (Trio's "Live!"), and Steph ("Nature Girl") all have new discs out so we wanted to celebrate some of San Diego's finest together. And it looks like we'll have a little in-studio Jam going on too!
- Michael Gallant Interview In-Studio On The New Jazz Thing Monday March 11 2013: Michael Gallant and his Trio have a new disc out "Completely" and he's in Southern California doing some business, so he will be dropping by Jazz 88 studio and hanging with us LIVE!
- 2013-03-11 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Some of the biggest and recently most successful artists in Jazz have new discs out this week (Monty Alexander, Hiromi, Charles Lloyd, Lenny White), along with San Diego's own (and recent TNJT Guest) Joe Garrison and Night People, so we've got lots of great new music to hear on Jazz 88 starting this week.
- Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart for Monday, March 11, 2013: It’s four weeks at No. 1 on the JazzWeek Jazz Chart for Jackie Ryan Listen Here (OpenArt). It’s again the most-reported CD of the week (55 stations.) The highest debut (No. 38) and biggest gainer (+73) is Monty Alexander Uplift 2 (Jazz Legacy Productions). It’s also tied for most added (+19) with New York Voices Live (Palmetto) and John Stein Bing Bang Boom! (Whaling City Sound).
- Monk Trane Jazz Live Tuesday, March 12, 2013: This will be HUGE. Mike Wofford and Ben Schachter, piano and tenor sax, Mark Dresser and Leon Boykins, basses, and Matt Scarano on drums. Considering the music of Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane.
- Coming up on The New Jazz Thing...
- Previously on The New Jazz Thing...
|It's a San Diego New Jazz Things special featuring music, performance and chats with Peter Sprague, Rob Thorsen, and Steph Johnson in Hour 2 of The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday, March 11, 2013 starting at 7 PM PT! Peter (String Consort's "Dr. Einstein's Spin" and Road Work Ahead's "Intersection"), Rob (Trio's "Live!"), and Steph ("Nature Girl") all have new discs out so we wanted to celebrate some of San Diego's finest together. And it looks like we'll have a little in-studio Jam going on too!|
|Michael Gallant and his Trio have a new disc out "Completely" and he's in Southern California doing some business, so he will be dropping by Jazz 88 studio and hanging with us LIVE in Hour 1 of The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday, March 11, 2013, starting around 6:40 PM PT! Listen in at 88.3 FM San Diego or click the LISTEN LIVE button to listen online or, better yet, download the iPhone/iPad App or the Android App and listen now and later!|
- Brent Black @CriticalJazz on "Completely": "...Michael Gallant is helping forge a new sound for what has become a tired, predictable and all be it boring vibe of the sterile jazz standard that makes one long to hear those two most important words "last call." "...Completely would make my desert island list of discs to take if faced with the burden of limited space. This my friends is the future of jazz. Fresh, invigorating, progressive - there are simply not enough positive adjectives to list here. "
|On The New Jazz Thing, Monday, March 4, 2013....|
- Dr. Hafez Modirzadeh will be stopping by in Hour 1 for a chat about his music, including his latest release "Post-Chromodal Out!", before heading to his rare local appearance with bass guru Mark Dresser and others tonight at Sufi.
- JazzTimes: "With no less than Vijay Iyer at the keyboard, the album delivers great returns on each musical risk Modirzadeh takes."
- Spin: "Iranian-American saxophonist retunes Vijay Iyer's piano for cross-cultural jazz experiment." 8 out of 10 rating
- Dusted: "The effect of Post-Chromodal Out! is like having your head buffeted by a barrage of head-scrambling information, all of it resisting conventional listening, and most emphatically not announcing itself as anything close to conventional jazz-plus-exotica. It’s a powerful statement from a composer, instrumentalist, and band that deserve your time and acclaim."
- 2013-03-04 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: The Jazz 88 Music Library gets a varied set of New Jazz Music in for the week of March 4, 2013, including Latin (Aguanko), vocals (New York Voices with the WDR Big Band, Jan Shapiro, and even "Luke Duke" aka Tom Wopat), guitar (John Stein, Dave Haskell), the latest from Clint's little boy Kyle Eastwood and Scott Hamilton, and more
- Top 10 Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart March 4, 2013: It’s a third week and gaining at No. 1 on this week’s JazzWeek Jazz Chart for Jackie Ryan Listen Here (OpenArt). It’s also the most-reported CD of the week (62 stations.) Most added (+19) is Melton Mustafa The Traveling Man (Zaki Publishing) and the biggest gainer (+80) is Wolff & Clark Expedition (Random Act). The highest debut (No. 26) is Champian Fulton Champian Sings and Swings (Sharp Nine).
- Coming Up On The New Jazz Thing...
- San Diego New Jazz Things: Next Monday, March 11, 2013, we will celebrating New Jazz releases from some of San Diego's finest with LIVE IN-STUDIO appearances by, among others, Peter Sprague, Rob Thorsen, and Steph Johnson. The show will include LIVE performances, cuts from their new releases, and their thoughts on THE NEW!
|On The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw for Monday, February 25, 2013, 6 to 8 PM PT...|
- Member Monday! Today we put the focus on what keeps Jazz 88 operating...our Members and THOSE WHO SHOULD BECOME MEMBERS! Do it during TNJT (6-8PM PT) on the secure membership page or call 619-388-3743, and I'll be sure to mention your name on the air! I am going to see if some of those artists on the NEW list today want to show their support too!
- 2013-02-25 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: The bounty of New continues to flow in the Jazz 88 Music Library and this week, in addition to a mix of ensemble sizes from trio to big band and large ensemble and highlights of regional tributes from Indianapolis to Harlem and Afro-Caribbean, we've got probably one of the most ambitiously technical improvisational projects around with Pat Methany's 2 Disc recordings from his Orchestrion Project.
- Top 10 on the Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart: February 25, 2013: It’s a second week at No. 1 and +53 spins on this week’s JazzWeek Jazz Chart for Jackie Ryan Listen Here (OpenArt). The highest debut (No. 21) and biggest gainer (+99) is Harvie S with Kenny Barron Witchcraft (HighNote). Most added is Jeremy Pelt Water and Earth (HighNote). Played on the most stations this week are Terri Lyne Carrington Money Jungle: Provocative In Blue (Concord) and Joe Lovano Cross Culture (Blue Note).
More NEW following the split....
|There is soooo much New Jazz Music to play tonight...and lots of GREAT SAN DIEGO NEW JAZZ....|
- 2013-02-18 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: WOW...what a HUGE list of New Jazz Music to add to the Jazz 88 Music Library for the week of February 18, 2013! And it ranges from vocals to Big Band, straight-ahead to Brazilian, and standards to LOTS of original compositions...Jazz it ALIVE AND WELL!
- Top 10 Countdown! Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart February 18, 2013: Jackie Ryan NEW at #1 and I LOVE THIS DISC...so it will be played in the 6:40 post-countdown slot!
- 2013-02-11 Adds To The Jazz88 Music Library: Missed getting this up before I missed TNJT on 2/11, but want to keep the record complete as possible, so here are the adds for last week, Monday, February 11, 2013 with some fantastic San Diego Jazz (Johnson, Road Work Ahead, Sprague, Thorsen)...I will be playing all of these San Diego New Jazz Things TONIGHT!
- On the Last TNJT...
- Peter Marin Interview on 2/4/13 is Online! Check out The Jazz 88 Speakeasy!!
City College Student Radio
|Click +1 if you like this song |
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
|Click on the +1 button|
if you like this page