The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
|Here's what we've got for The New Jazz Thing on Monday, August 20, 2012 6-8 PM PT...|
- 2012-08-20 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Dig the great NEW discs this week from Basile (bari-sax!), Duke music (tribute, that is), drum-man extraordinaire Sinnett, sweet sounding (and too-little recording) Luciana Souza tributing Chet Baker, and last week's TNJT guest (scroll down to hear the interview online) Brian Bromberg gets further fuzzy...plus more!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart August 20, 2012: Curtis Fuller at the top 3 weeks running!
- Brian Bromberg has that third New disc out, Bromberg Plays Hendrix, and he talked about it LAST WEEK on THE NEW JAZZ THING! (scroll down and click Brian's name to hear the interview).
|Here's what I'm working on for The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, 6-8PM PT, Monday, August 13, 2012 on Jazz 88.3 FM, with Webcast at http://Jazz88.org and smartphone apps for iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (that's quite a description!). |
- UPDATE 5:5PM PT: Mike Wofford, San Diego Music Award Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient LIVE....BEFORE HE GETS THE AWARD! Listen in around 6:40 PM PT as we find him somewhere in the vicinity of his award. Thanks Holly!!
- Nominees...Claudia is playing them on The Jazz Ride Home!
- Best Jazz
- Erika Davies
- Gilbert Castellanos
- Ian Tordella
- Mattson 2
- Rob Thorsen
- Steph Johnson
- Peter Sprague
- The Trunks
- Artist of the Year
- Gilbert Castellanos
- Little Hurricane
- Sara Watkins
- Slightly Stoopid
- The Silent Comedy
- Unwritten Law
- Best Jazz Album
- Gregory Page - Shine Shine Shine
- Ian Tordella- Tragic Comedy
- Leonard Patton- Expressions
- Montalban Quintet- Self Titled
- Nena Anderson- Beyond The Lights
- Kevyn Lettau- Drawn to You
- Mike Wofford & Holly Hofmann Quartet- Turn Signal
- Teagan Taylor- Wonderland
- Brian Bromberg (beware of the instant-on music, can't find the MUTE button!): prolific bassist has 2 New disc out right now, so we'll be dipping into both "Compared To That" and "In The Spirit of Jobim" and chatting with Brian LIVE on the ringer.
- Michael Oletta reminds us: "... Bromberg's SD connection at Elarios Jazz club/ restaurant in the late 70's early 80's. He played with Joe marillo several night a week!"
- 2012-08-13 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Lots of great New Jazz Music being made including original compositions (Marquis Hill, Fast Citizens), covers of Lennon tunes (Ochipinti), Brazilian (Ben-Hur / Debriano collab), vocals (Sylvia Brooks), progressive large ensemble (Josh Berman), Organ Monk (YEA!)...and an appearance by San Diego's own Gilbert Castellanos (Donald Vega).
- San Diego Music Awards begin right at 6PM tonight, so we'll be monitoring to see if the Jazz awards get announced before TNJT is done.
- Jazzweek Jazz Chart August 13, 2012: Curtis Fuller at the tops 2nd week running, TNJT guest Brian Bromberg at #5 with "Compared To That"!
|Here's what we get into on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw (http://Jazz88.org/thenewjazzthing), Monday, July 30, 2012, 6-8 PM PT...|
- Dr. Gregg Akkerman live in studio (between 6:40 and 7 PM PT) chatting about his new book "The Last Balladeer: The Johnny Hartman Story" and his Tuesday, July 31, 2012 signing at Twiggs Green Room.
- Felipe Benevides-guitar and Jay Reilly-acoustic bass of local band The Red Fox Tails will be in studio at 7:20 PM PT chatting about their new disc "Aloha" and a date at Bar Pink on Tuesday, July 31.
- 2012-07-30 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: New discs this week from some Old hands in the Jazz scene, including John Abercrombie, Marcus Miller, and Avery Sharpe, a double disc from trumpet searcher Christian Scott, the second New Brian Bromberg disc in 2 months, and lots more!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart for Monday, July 30, 2012: We'll roll through the Top 10, which includes a New #1 this week!
- Last week's interview with vocalist Sara Gazarek is up at http://Jazz88.org/TheNewJazzThing. Really enjoyed her show at Anthology last week.
Vocalist Sara Gazarek
chats LIVE about her new 2012 release "Blossom and Bee", her July 26, 2012 performance at Anthology SD, and more on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
, Monday, July 23, 2012, 6-8 PM PT! Just to tempt you...hehe...Dan Bilawsky in AllAboutJazz.com says: "While it's a bit clichéd to say that a collection of songs can make you fall in love with a singer, the shoe fits here. Gazarek balances fancy free notions, effervescence, carefree whims, fragile emotions, precocious pondering and humor in her work, making this a highly attractive outing as a whole."
Not bad ;)
|Among all the great New Jazz Music we'll be debuting on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, July 16, 2012, Jazz guitarist and vocalist John Pizzarelli will be chatting with us in Hour 2 of The New about is New release "Double Exposure" and a July 22, 2012 appearance at the Grand Del Mar. We'll also take a look at the Jazzweek.com Jazz Charts, the Hot Hits on the Jazz 88 Speakeasy, and More! Details after the split...|
|If you are a Google Calendar user and want to know who the special guests coming up on The New Jazz Thing are, here's a Google Calendar that you can view here and subscribe to (adding it to your list of calendars). Calendar after the split (update: still have some sharing bugs to work out because all you are seeing is 'busy' and not the details)||
City College Student Radio
|Click +1 if you like this song |
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
|Click on the +1 button|
if you like this page