The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
|Why Jazz? A question a lot of us Jazzers get when asked about our passion for the music, it's history, and part in American and World Culture. NPR Jazz Critic and Author of the 2011 book "Why Jazz?" Kevin Whitehead will chat with us on The New Jazz Thing on Monday December 19, 2011 between 7:20 and 7:40 PM PT about that, the stories he covered and his favorites releases of 2011, and a look at what's coming up in for Jazz in 2012.|
- Oxford Press: Why Jazz? Includes a summary and some quotes from reviews of the book.
- BandDirector review of Why Jazz? including links to audio and video corresponding to parts of the book they are talking about.
- JazzTimes.com: Kevin Whitehead Jazz Answers and Questions. Lee Mergner does a cool interview with Kevin about the work and explaining Jazz to newer listeners.
- And here are some of Kevin's favorites for 2011...
- 2011 best (again & as ever, I’d rather list 10 good ones than try to rank them, so divide the points how you do. three are from the last century. in zedyxical order:)
Craig Taborn, Avenging Angel, ECM
Tyshawn Sorey, Oblique – I, Pi
São Paulo Underground, Três Cabeças Loucuras, Cuneiform
Michael Moore Quartet, Amsterdam, Ramboy
Roscoe Mitchell, Before There Was Sound, Nessa
Billy Hart, Sixty-Eight, SteepleChase
Gigi Gryce, Doin’ the Gigi, Uptown
Ran Blake/Dominique Eade, Whirlpool, Jazz Project
Tim Berne, Insomnia, Clean Feed
Ambrose Akinmusire, When the Heart Emerges Glistening, Blue Note
Bryan Hooten, Richmond Love Call (Solo Trombone), Bryan Hooten
Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Faith, 5Passion
Ran Blake/Dominique Eade, Whirlpool, Jazz Project
reissues (no particular order):
Julius Hemphill, Dogon A.D., International Phonograph
FMP Im Rückblick - In Retrospect, FMP
Modern Jazz Quartet, Atlantic Studio Recordings, Mosaic
|One of the inventors of Funk, Fred Wesley, will be chatting with me Monday, December 19, 2011 6:40 PM PT on The New Jazz Thing! He will be playing December 30, 2011 with the Greyboy Allstars at the Belly Up Tavern, so we'll chat about that, "The Lost Album" of never before released music from The JB's and Fred, his Jazzy history (and there is LOTS of that with Count Basie's Orch, George Benson...), and more...really looking forward to it! Here are some funky good licks to wet your appetite!|
- Where's Fred! It's all on his blog...and there are some great pictures there too!
- Fred's Allmusic.com Bio (by Jason Ankeny). And it's a short click away to his Discography, and Credits (where you see ALL the James Brown, Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, and lots more that Fred has played on). Wow!
- And you know that Fred Tweets @FunkyFredWesley!
|On The New Jazz Thing, Monday December 5, 2011 6-8 PM PT...|
- Do You Have A New Jazz Project in 2012? Share it on our Facebook page at http://Facebook.com/TheNewJazzThing or on Twitter @TNJT and we'll share it on the show tonight and all through December! We are looking to 2012 on The New Jazz Thing!
- Starting to check out the new Holiday Jazz for 2011!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart Top 10!
|Coming up Monday, November 28, 2011 6-8 PM PT on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw on Jazz 88!|
- An Interview with Pat Martino! The legendary Jazz guitarist made the first of his over 25 recordings as a leader in 1967 (El Hombre on Pretige), suffered a memory-erasing accident in 1980, and has climbed to the top of the Jazz charts with his new release "Undeniable".
- We'll be backtracking to some of the recently added new discs in the Jazz 88 Library that we haven't gotten to in the last couple of weeks.
|Here's what's going down on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday, November 14, 2011...|
- Herb Alpert! (FB, @HerbAlpert) The legendary trumpeter, composer, and music executive will be on the show to chat about his appearance with wife Lani Hall, Friday, November 18, 2011 date at the Balboa Theatre. We'll also chat about how he came to form A&M records, the role of Jazz in his music, and more!
- Lots of great new music in the 2011-11-14 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library!
- Jazz Week Jazz Album Chart Top 10 for 11/14/2011: The new list isn't even released yet, but you will get the info FIRST! Hint: There's a new #1 and at least one new album in the top 10 this week! Lots of 2011 familiars bumping each other around!
|San Diego New Jazz Music in the spotlight on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, November 7, 2011 6-8 PM PT!|
- Guitarist Nate Jarrell has a great new disc out, "The Next Chapter", and a CD release party this Friday, November 11, so we'll be chatting about the New with Nate at 6:40 PM PT!
- Vocalist Leonard Patton's new "Expressions" has been out a week, we heard a lot from it at Anthology in October, and now we get to chat about this new collaboration with the great Geoffrey Keezer at 7:20 PM PT on TNJT!
- Lots of great new adds to the Jazz 88 Playlist for Monday, November 7, 2011.
City College Student Radio
|Click +1 if you like this song |
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
|Click on the +1 button|
if you like this page