The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
|Tonight on the show...|
- Josh Nelson joins us by phone in Hour 1 to chat about his New "Discoveries", added last week. He also played with Allison Adams Tucker @Jazz88 OBMusicFest this past weekend and was wowing us all!
- JOSH NELSON (FB)– “DISCOVERIES” (Pianist, leading a variety of configurations, doing
all but one straight-ahead originals).
Critical Jazz: Cerebral
jazz? In an incredibly unique if not personal release, Nelson takes his
appreciation for the writings of Jules Verne among others and
transforms this literature into a conceptualized presentation of sonic
imagery that lives and breathes on its own. An incredibly thoughtful
organic pulse drives the forward motion of this sonic adventure with
great care and artistic touch. Nelson's
music is (for me) not Ipod friendly, no good jazz worth listening to
is. "Discoveries" contains intricate and involved interplay between
Nelson and his musical companions that is exciting, fresh and alive to
the point where mere headphones could not possibly transfer the musical
- Tierney Sutton chats with us in Hour 2 of The New about her latest "American Road", also added last week 9/5/11.
- TIERNEY SUTTON – “AMERICAN ROAD” (Female vocalist, doing a mix of show
tunes, gospel and Americana).
Organic but deep rooted in tradition this exquisite release is perfect
from start to finish."...take on her own unique, slightly eclectic but
incredibly accessible spin
on the Great American Songbook thus releasing an almost instant
Challenge Records: “We first started looking at an ‘America’-themed CD three or four years
ago,” says Sutton, whose vocal style has been described as “soft as silk
and smooth as fine bourbon” by the Chicago Sun Times. Circumstances led
the group in a different direction at the time, the result being 2009’s
Desire, which earned the group its third consecutive Grammy nomination
for Best Vocal Jazz Album.
But the concept that gave ultimately
gave rise to American Road stayed with Sutton and the band—Christian
Jacob (piano), Kevin Axt (acoustic and electric bass), Trey Henry
(acoustic and electric bass) and Ray Brinker (drums and
percussion)—until, having spent countless days and nights traveling
America’s roads and playing in her towns and cities, they were able to
finally bring it to fruition. All of the arrangements on American Road
were conceived by the entire band, which, said The New York Times, has
“refined the kind of rapport that could only be achieved over
time…providing a continuous flow of support, strength and inspiration.”
- Playing as much of the 2011-09-12 Adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library...digging seeing Bill Frisell doing John Lennon, Joan Stiles new one, San Diego vocalist Sharon DuBois, and more!
- We'll also be following any news about San Diego's Joshua White who is one of 3 finalists for the Thelonious Monk Jazz Competition being performed, judged, and awarded TONIGHT in Washington DC. Go Joshua!!
|A few notes for the show, Monday, September 5, 2011 6-8 PM PT...|
- The great bassist Ron Carter will be chatting about his new release "Great Big Band" in Hour 2 of The New! What an honor! We added the disc last week, August 29, 2011. Over 2,000 albums, 45 years recording, Miles Davis, Eric Dolphy, Lena Horne, James Brown, Bill Evans, Tribe Called Quest...and now his first big band album!
- Debuting as much of the new, 9/5/2011 Adds To The Jazz 88 Library tonight, including new from Tierney Sutton, Josh Nelson, and many more!
|Lots of great New Adds To the Jazz 88 Music Library this week to play on the show Monday, August 22, 2011 6-8 PM PT! You can follow the playlist live on Facebook (http://Facebook.com/TheNewJazzThing) and on Twitter @TNJT (http://Twitter.com/TNJT).|
|The New Jazz Thing is LIVE! Monday, June 20, 2011 6 to 8 PM PT on Jazz 88.3 FM KSDS San Diego Webcast http://Jazz88.org. We will be debuting the new additions to the Jazz 88 Library for 6/20/2011. Also, vocalist Rene Marie will be joining us on the phone at 6:40 PM PT to chat about her latest release "Voice of My Beautiful Country" and her June 28, 2011 performance at Anthology SD!|
|Interviewed Kerry Marsh about the state of vocal jazz, in general, in California, and in the age of Glee on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, May 30, 2011!|
City College Student Radio
|Click +1 if you like this song |
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
|Click on the +1 button|
if you like this page