|LISTEN LIVE Monday, April 14, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!)|
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): The New Jazz Thing (entire show), Monday, April 14, 2014 (1:56:44)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Whitney Shay / Jamie Valle / Jodie Hill Julie London Tribute Preview and Performance, Monday, April 14, 2014 (10:30)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Kendra Shank / John Stowell "New York Conversations" CD and Performance Preview, Monday, April 14, 2014 (20:53)
- Coming Up on The New Jazz Thing Calendar (click to subscribe to TNJT Google Calendar)...
- Monday, April 21, 2014 - Allison Adams Tucker "April In Paris" CD and Release Party Preview: Allison Adams Tucker will be releasing her new album "April In Paris" on June 3, 2014 and will first be playing CD Release Party on April 26, 2014 at The Loft at UCSD to commenmorate both the disc and "Jazz Appreciation Month". We'll get to chat with Allison and hear music from the New disc first on The New Jazz Thing!
- Monday, May 27, 2014 -
- Anna Danes "Longing" and 5/30/14 CD Release Concert Interview. Local vocalist with her debut CD will be performing at Cedros Social Club in Solana Beach on Friday, May 30, 2014 with many of the musicians from the new disc.
- Robin Adler and Dave Blackburn "Joni Mitchell's Hejira" Performance Preview: On June 1st Robin Adler and her band Mutts of the Planet will be performing Joni Mitchell's Hejira album. They have a fantastic 9 piece band for this show including Grammy winning guitarist Jamie Kime from L.A. We are also flying in bassist Kevin Hennessy, Peter Sprague's bassist for many years, from Missouri to hold down the Jaco parts. Robin and her husband, Dave Blackburn, may be performing live in studio.
After the split, Top 10 Countdown replay/links, 2014.4.14 Adds @Jazz88, Previously on TNJT, Playlist screenshot, more...
Anxious to dig into some New Jazz Music to kick off the 3rd week of Jazz Appreciation Month, April 14, 2014, with highlights sure to come from Eric Alexander, The Bad Plus, Alan Broadbent, Abdullah Ibrahim, The L.A. Treasures Project (featuring Jazz Live Alum Ernie Andrews), Eric Reed, Jessica Williams AND San Diego's own Peter Sprague with a new vocal album featuring Kevyn Lettau and Leonard Patton. And maybe something New and fresh will catch your ear! The full list with additional notes from the Jazz 88 Music Directors after the split, along with your chance to comment on the New!
- ERIC ALEXANDER – “CHICAGO FIRE”
- THE BAD PLUS – “THE RITE OF SPRING”
- ALAN BROADBENT AND NDR BIG BAND – “AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL”
- MARK BUSELLI – “UNTOLD STORIES”
- NELS CLINE SINGERS – “MACROSCOPE”
- NANCY GOUDINAKI – “I WANNA BE YOUR STAR”
- ABUDLLAH IBRAHIM – “MUKASHI”
- THE L.A. TREASURES PROJECT – “LIVE AT ALVAS SHOWROOM”
- OSCAR PEŇAS – “MUSIC OF DEPARTURE AND RETURNS”
- IVO PERELMAN – “BOOK OF SOUND”
- ERIC REED – “THE ADVENTUROUS MONK”
- PETER SPRAGUE – “OCEAN IN YOUR EYES”
- VERVE JAZZ ENSEMBLE – “EAST END SOJOURN”
- JESSICA WILLIAMS – “WITH LOVE”
- MICHAEL WOLLNY – “WELTENTRAUM”
|Well, well, lucky me. I happen to tune in to one of the best darn Blues shows in the world. T's 'Every Shade of Blue'. And there it is, pure gold. Harmonica John and Bud Lite are wailing away in the studio prompting the blues ringmaster to belt out along with them, and wouldn't ya know, T's got pipes! Thanks to Harmonica John and Bud Lite for coming to the station. They are promoting Spring Harp Fest this weekend in La Mesa. All the proceeds (after expenses) goes to 'Blues in the Schools', a program that teaches the kids about Blues music. Please stop by the event to hear some great music and buy a beverage (or two) to support the cause. Here's the Information. |
|O man. So involved with this show that Legal had to interoffice memo (as a verb) to remember Program Notes. It has not been uneventful.|
- The shape of the first hour brings to mind that Liverpool is rolling and everyone else is hanging on, if that. Yeah, talking to you, Arsenal. But the shape, moving forward at every opportunity and asking questions, as they say. Questions need to be answered, or the answer will be provided. Trios expanding into sections and creative music...provides the answers.
- The second hour satisfied my basic parameters for Free Time. Something Must Happen. Almost always catches me looking the other way when the reaction is internal like physical/mental rather than perception or emotion. Anthem For The Moment by Dennis Gonzalez did that. Took the net away. Thanks man.
- John Scofield Uberjam Deux at UCSD Sunday night. check it
Thanks for listening.
THANK YOU! Jazz Night San Diego,
a county-wide, multiple venue celebration of Jazz was an incredible success. A huge thank you to all the hosts, musicians and all the guests who turned our inaugural Jazz Night San Diego into a reality. Thanks as well to Casa Artelexia
in Little Italy, Wild Thyme Catering
and Carruth Cellars.
|I could review the many ways that creative music and jazz are redundant or at least a hair split. Maybe another time, if necessary. The point is that within the realm there is a niche, a tributary, a tangent, that is of but not within what you might regularly experience on Jazz 88.3. For programming purposes I call it Creative Music. And it's snug in the Progressive Nights zone. Be sure to check The Speakeasy to hear this and many of the shows on Jazz 88.3.|
- Horace Tapscott, then "John Coltrane" from Mister Billy Higgins (ecd 22061-2). I'm in heaven.
- Kendra Shank and John Stowell are coming to the Museum of Making Music on April 19th.
- "Orange Outline" by Franz Kline."When I paint a picture, I don't know every line in advance, but I know in general what I'm about."
- Free Time was as much about texture as it was about technique. One of those I have a feel for, the other I can appreciate.
- Epistrophy, any way, shape, or form.
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE