June 2, 2014
|LISTEN LIVE Monday, June 2, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Holly Hofmann "Low Life: The Alto Flute Project" Interview, Monday, June 2, 2014 (20:33)
- Internationally acclaimed and San Diegan, Flutist Holly Hofmann has a new CD out, "Low Life: The Alto Flute Project", with rave reviews in AllAboutJazz.com ("...a smooth and gorgeous masterpiece...") and CriticalJazz.com ("A beautiful recording that embraces why we listen to music, melody. Simple unadorned melody."), among others. We will be chatting about her new disc, the Alto Flute in Jazz, and how it all reflects and expresses this gem of a local musician. In Hour 2 of The New (7:20-40 PM PT)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Bone Fest II w/ Matt Smith Preview, Monday, June 2, 2014 (9:25)
- San Diego drummer Matt Smith has a couple of gigs of note coming up, including Bone Fest II on 6/5/14 featuring 10...count 'em 10...trombones and a 6/13 gig with his Neu Jazz Trio and the Jonathon Rowden Group. Matt released his "Neu Jazz Trio" disc on TNJT in September 2013 (TNJT Interview: http://ow.ly/x4fNt). In Hour 1 (6:50-7 PM PT).
- 2015.6.2 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: A plethora of female vocalists in the new Adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library for the week of June 2, 2014, with standouts including the latest from the great Diane Schuur ("I Remember You") and...FINALLY...the official release of San Diego's Allison Adams Tucker's "April in Paris", which she chatted about in a TNJT Interview back on April 21, 2014. There are also big band, Brazillian, mainstream Jazz and more, so check out all of The New and let your favorite Jazz 88 host know you'd like to hear something New!
- The New #Jazz Giveaways: DIANE SCHUUR – “I REMEMBER YOU” and VARIOUS ARTISTS – “THE BRAZIL CONNECTION”. Listen for your chance to win and then CALL 619-388-3162 to WIN!
- Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart June 2, 2014: Again at No. 1 on the JazzWeek Jazz Chart is Monty Alexander Harlem-Kingston Express Vol 2: The River Rolls On (Motema). Most reported (54 stations) is Eric Alexander Chicago Fire (HighNote). The biggest gainer (+71) is the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra The L.A. Treasures Project (Capri). Three are tied for most added (+16): Louis Hayes Return of the Jazz Communicators (Smoke Sessions), Theo Croker Afro Physicist (Sony Masterworks), and Joe Locascio and Woody Witt Absinthe, The Music Of Billy Strayhorn (Blue Bamboo Music). Highest debut (No. 26) is Mike Pope Cold Truth Warm Heart (Nineteen-Eight).
- NOTE: Holly Hofmann debuts at #48 in the Top 50 Chart this week, up from 140 last week!!
- Last week on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, May 26, 2014...
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click To Listen): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, May 26, 2014 (2:02:31)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Anna Danes "Longing" Interview on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, May 26, 2014 (11:40) + Interview video
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Robin Adler / Dave Blackburn "Hejira" Concert Preview and Performance on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, May 26, 2014 (23:22) + Interview/Performance Video
- Previously on The New Jazz Thing!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Eric Reed "The Adventurous Monk" Interview, Monday, May 19, 2014 (14:44) NOTE: #4 Jazzweek 6/2/14!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Euphoria Brass Band "EBB & Flow" Interview, Monday, May 19, 2014 (25:14)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Alan Broadbent "America The Beautiful" Interview, Monday, May 5, 2014 (22:55) Jazzweek #12 6/2/14
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Allison Adams Tucker "April In Paris" Interview, Monday, April 21, 2014 (19:54)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Whitney Shay / Jamie Valle / Jodie Hill Julie London Tribute Preview and Performance, Monday, April 14, 2014 (10:30)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Kendra Shank / John Stowell "New York Conversations" CD and Performance Preview, Monday, April 14, 2014 (20:53)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Vincent Herring "The Uptown Shuffle" Interview, Monday February 10, 2014 (18:11) Jazzweek #36 6/2/14
- Coming Up on The New Jazz Thing Calendar (click to subscribe to TNJT Google Calendar)...
- Monday, June 9, 2014 -
- Saxophonist Jonathan Rowden's debut release with his quartet "Becoming" is due out 5/27/14 and he will be playing a CD release gig in San Diego at 98 Bottles on Friday, June 13, 2014. We'll chat about the new disc, his music, and the upcoming gig.
- Monday, June 16, 2014 -
- Guitarist JC Stylles new release "Blakey Grease" is a tribute to the great Art Blakey and is climbing up the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Charts with it's Highest Debut and Biggest Gainer nods when it hit #15 on the 5/19 charts (up to #10 5/26/14). We'll be chatting about the disc, Mr. Blakey, JC's bio, and more in Hour 2 of the New!
- Jazz 88 Playlist Archive Screenshot - The Playlist For Tonight's Show...
- Tonight's Interviews Graphical Hype...
- BE PART OF THE SHOW! Follow TNJT on Twitter, LikeThe New Jazz Thing on Facebook, and share something about The New @Jazz88 with the #TNJT or #Jazz88 hashtags! We may even be able to mention your name and comment during the Live show and you'll be part of the Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive!
|A plethora of female vocalists in the new Adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library for the week of June 2, 2014, with standouts including the latest from the great Diane Schuur ("I Remember You") and...FINALLY...the official release of San Diego's Allison Adams Tucker's "April in Paris", which she chatted about in a TNJT Interview back on April 21, 2014. There are also big band, Brazillian, mainstream Jazz and more, so check out all of The New and let your favorite Jazz 88 host know you'd like to hear something New!|You can hear those and more debut on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday, June 2, 2014, 6-8 PM PT!
The full list, with annotations, along with your chance to comment on what you see...and maybe what you don't...below the fold.
- MARY ANNE ANDERSON – “RENDEZVOUS”
- GERALD BECKETT – “THE MESSENGER”
- KRIS BERG METROPLEXITY BIG BAND – “TIME MANAGEMENT”
- GUITAR TRIO – “LIVE AT THE DEER HEAD INN”
- PATRICE JEGOU – “SPEAK LOW”
- LOUIS PRIMA, JR. – “BLOW”
- LENORE RAPHAEL – “LOVE NOTES: A TRIBUTE TO OSCAR PETERSON”
- NANCY REED & JOHN COATES, JR. – “LIVE AT THE DEER HEAD INN”
- LYNN RILEY AND THE WORLD-MIX – “SAY WHAT”
- KATHY SANBORN – “FANTASIA”
- DIANE SCHUUR – “I REMEMBER YOU”
- JIM STRANAHAN LITTLE BIG BAND – “MIGRATION TO HIGHER GROUND”
- ALLISON ADAMS TUCKER – “APRIL IN PARIS”
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – “THE BRAZIL CONNECTION”
- BARBARA WEEN – “DETOUR AHEAD”
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE