Creative Music July 17, 2014 10pm - Midnight
|To pay proper tribute to bassist Charlie Haden would take some hours, even days. A national holiday would work but two hours is all I have. This program focused on three things; Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett, and the duets.|
- Death and the Flower - this brews into a creative storm without leaving a mark.
- First Song - (for Ruth) is often added, for his wife. Pretty tune, with Pat Metheny. A lot of people love him, Metheny.
- Circus '68 '69 - from the carousel intro to the chaotic finale, a great translation of political dystopia. Music Liberation Orchestra.
- Back Home Blues - a Charlie Parker line from Quartet West. Cleanse the palate, ready to continue.
- Folk Medley - little solo tucked into the middle of Don Cherry's Art Deco. Proof of Haden's value.
- Blues In Motian - Could have done two hours of Montreal Tapes and been happy.
- Pocket Full of Cherry - Keith Jarrett plays alto sax, Dewey Redman on tenor. 60th minute at full tilt.
- For a Free Portugal - with Paul Motian. see this
- Out of Focus - with Don Cherry.
- O.C. - with Ornette Coleman.
- Blues Connotation, Folk Tale, and Ramblin. This was it. This was where I started. One of the places, anyway.
- For Turiya - with Alice Coltrane on harp. A heavenly sendoff. Happy/sad right now.
Thanks for listening
Student Delivered Sound
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
Copyright © 2018 KSDS
KSDS Jazz 88.3 is a non-profit 501c3 organization, a part of the San Diego City College District.
is a service of NetChain Communications, Inc.