Ralph Peterson Jazz Live Preview - Jazz in the Night Tuesday - January 23 2018
|On the Tuesday, January 23, 2018 installment of Jazz In The Night Tuesday (Weekly, Midnight to 2 AM PT), we dig into some of the new releases in the library including the latest from ...; preview upcoming concert performances by ...; New (), In Concert (), Birthday / On This Day (), and MORE! LISTEN LIVE or Replay Jazz In The Night Tuesday any day of the week from the Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy!|
Listen Live to Jazz 88.3 Using The Pop-Up Player...
READ ON for Annotated Playlist, Coming Week Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights, Birthdays, and On This Day In Jazz Milestones...
Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy Replay of the January 23, 2018 Show
01/23/2018 00:00 AM - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra featuring Mahalia Jackson - Black, Brown & Beige - N/A - Black, Brown and Beige - Part I
ON THIS DAY #OTD (Tuesday) January 23 - Duke Ellington plays his first Carnegie Hall concert in 1943 and introduces "Black, Brown and Beige".
“Black, Brown and Beige is an extended jazz work written by Duke Ellington for his first concert at Carnegie Hall, on January 23, 1943. Ellington introduced it at Carnegie Hall as "a parallel to the history of the Negro in America." It was Ellington's longest and most ambitious composition.” [Black, Brown, and Beige, Wikipedia]
BREAK (After Tune 1): Hour 1 Intro, Blog Post and Social Media Promo
01/23/2018 00:12 AM - David K. Mathews - The Fantasy Vocal Sessions, Vol. 1 , Standards - Effendi Records = I Want To Talk About You
“Just when things looked particularly bleak, Mathews got a call out of the blue last August from Carlos Santana's assistant, who asked if he was interested in joining Santana. By the end of the month he was a member of the band. Just as suddenly as hard times found him, Mathews was back in the limelight, traveling internationally with one of rock's classiest organizations.” [A Triumphant Return for David K. Matthews, Andrew Gilbert, 4/2011]
01/23/2018 00:17 AM - Lisa Hilton - Escapism - Lisa Hilton Music - Hot Summer Samba
BREAK: “Jazz is an international Language” - Dizzy Gillespie. Support Jazz 88.3!
01/23/2018 00:24 AM - John Santos, Barry Finnerty, Mel Martin, Don Friedman - Where The Warm Winds Blow - Jazzed Media Records - Silly Hawk Walk
BOTTOM OF THE HOUR ID - Danny Green!
01/23/2018 00:30 AM - Danny Green - Altered Narratives - OA2 Records - I Used To Hate The Blues
IN CONCERT Thursday, January 25 - Jazz - 6:30 PM -Danny Green Trio — Mission Trails Golf Course • 7380 Golfcrest Pl, San Diego, CA 92119 Jazz88.org/calendar
01/23/2018 00:35 AM - Benny Golson - Benny Golson And The Philadelphians - Blue Note Records - Blues March
BREAK: San Diego Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights for Tuesday, January 23 through Monday, January 29
01/23/2018 00:46 AM - Ralph Peterson - Presents The Fo'tet - Blue Note - Confrontation
Jazz Live- Ralph Peterson Fo'tet - Jazz Live kicks off 2018 in a grand fashion. Drummer and leader Ralph Peterson comes to the Saville Theatre on Tuesday, January 23rd (8pm). Peterson has been one of the most in-demand drummer bandleaders for more than a quarter of a century. He has lead a number of influential ensembles which have continually pushed the envelope of imagination and improvisation. One of those ensembles is his Fo'tet. The concert is for Jazz 88 members only. As always, Thanks to Big Front Door Sandwich Shop for providing food for the Jazz Live artists. Remember, that good ole' parking pass and come hungry, because a food truck will be on site!
BREAK (Before Last Tune of Hour): Coming Up In Hour 2, Blog and Social Media Promo
01/23/2018 00:59 AM - Marty Paich Dek-Tette - In Concert Tokyo - N/A - It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
01/23/2018 01:02 AM - Steve Slagle - Dedication - Panorama - Major In Come
BREAK (After Tune 1): Hour 2 Intro, Hour 1 Final Tune, Blog Post and Social Media Promo
01/23/2018 01:13 AM - Steph Johnson - Nature Girl - When Sunny Gets Blue
IN CONCERT Sunday, January 28 - Jazz/Blues/Soul -8:00 PM - Steph Johnson / Rob Thorsen Duo — Turf Supper Club • 1116 25th St, San Diego, CA 92102 Jazz88.org/calendar
BOTTOM OF HOUR ID: Eldar - BIRTHDAY - (Sunday) January 28,1987 100 [Piano] Kyrgyzstan
01/23/2018 01:18 AM - Chick Corea-Steve Gadd Band - Chinese Butterfly - N/A - Like I Was Sayin'
BREAK: Blues Jam - Wednesday, January 24 - Blues Jam - Guest Jammer: Bill Magee. The Blues Jam is in full-swing and happens every Wednesday night at Proud Mary's (located at the Ramada Inn: 5500 Kearny Mesa Road, 92111) from 6:30-9:30pm.
01/23/2018 01:28 AM - Bill Magee - Low Down Dirty Blues - Independent - You Got Me Talking
STATION ID: Sue Palmer!
01/23/2018 01:33 AM - The Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father - Blue Note - Sighin' And Cryin'
BREAK: REGISTER NOW for classes in the Performing and Visual Arts Department - Certificates and Degrees Offered
BREAK: Jazz and Blues Birthdays and On This Day Milestones, January 23 through January 29
01/23/2018 01:43 AM - Bob Mintzer - All L.A. Band - Fuzzy Music - Home Basie
01/23/2018 01:47 AM - Dave King - I've Been Ringing You - Sunnyside - So In Love
BREAK (Before Last Tune of Show): Blog and Social Media Promo, Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy Replay
01/23/2018 01:55 AM - Prime Time Big Band - Live At The Ironwood - Chronograph Records - North On 93
- Tuesday, January 23
- Jazz Live- Ralph Peterson Fo'tet - Jazz Live kicks off 2018 in a grand fashion. Drummer and leader Ralph Peterson comes to the Saville Theatre on Tuesday, January 23rd (8pm). Peterson has been one of the most in-demand drummer bandleaders for more than a quarter of a century. He has lead a number of influential ensembles which have continually pushed the envelope of imagination and improvisation. One of those ensembles is his Fo'tet. The concert is for Jazz 88 members only. As always, Thanks to Big Front Door Sandwich Shop for providing food for the Jazz Live artists. Remember, that good ole' parking pass and come hungry, because a food truck will be on site!
- Jazz / Ballots / Latin - Noon - Deuces Wild Jazz Band — Albies • Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92103
- 5:00 PM - Deuces Wild Jazz Band — 3rd Space • 4610 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92116 (via Jazz 88.3 Jazz and Blues Calendar Jazz88.org/calendar)
- Wednesday, January 24
- Blues Jam - Guest Jammer: Bill Magee. The Blues Jam is in full-swing and happens every Wednesday night at Proud Mary's (located at the Ramada Inn: 5500 Kearny Mesa Road, 92111) from 6:30-9:30pm.
- Thursday, January 25
- Jazz - 6:30 PM -Danny Green Trio — Mission Trails Golf Course • 7380 Golfcrest Pl, San Diego, CA 92119 Jazz88.org/calendar
- Friday, January 26
- Jazz Happy Hour at The Handlery Hotel San Diego - Pianist Ed Kornhauser with Mackenzie Leighton and Kevin Higuchi
- February Lineup Announced - Mike Wofford Artist-in-Residence
- 2/02- Mike Wofford Trio w/ special guest- Trumpeter, Curtis Taylor (Dean Hulett on bass and Richard Sellers on drums),
- 2/09- Mike Wofford Trio w/ special guest- Flutist, Holly Hofmann (Rob Thorsen on bass and Duncan Moore on drums),
- 2/16- Mike Wofford Trio w/ special guest- Reedman, John Rekevics (Dave Marr on bass and Tim McMahon on drums),
- 2/23- Mike Wofford Trio featuring Portland bassist, Tom Wakeling and Jim Plank on drums.
- Blues - 5:00 PM - Robin Henkel & Whitney Shay — Farmer and the Seahorse • 10996 Torreyana Rd., San Diego, CA 92121 Jazz88.org/calendar
- Saturday, January 27
- “Jazz a la Lighthouse” series on the legendary Lighthouse Cafe and All-Stars celebrating the Howard Rumsey centenary on Jazz Explorations, Saturdays, 7 to 10 AM PT> Jazz88.org/jazzexplorations
- San Diego Symphony's Winter Season! Jazz 88.3 is proud to support the San Diego Symphony as they present: "The Roots of Rhythm," happening Saturday, January 27th at Copley Symphony Hall (8PM)--part of the Jazz @ the Jacobs concert series! As part of the January “It’s About Time” festival, this concert will explore the origins and evolution of the various rhythmic styles that made their way from all over the world to America, becoming part of the modern jazz idiom. John Santos, one of the foremost exponents of Afro-Latin music in the world today (as both musician and historian), will survey jazz’s “root system” by way of his remarkable personal collection of percussion instruments in performance with several special guests.What better way to kick-off the new year than with a concert like this?! For more information, or to purchase tickets, click here!
- Boogie Woogie - 7:00 PM - Sue Palmer - Internationally Recognized — Bourre' Southern Bistro • 6523 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92115 Jazz88.org/calendar
- Sunday, January 28
- Jazz/Blues/Soul -8:00 PM - Steph Johnson / Rob Thorsen Duo — Turf Supper Club • 1116 25th St, San Diego, CA 92102 Jazz88.org/calendar
- Monday, January 29
- Jazz - 9PM - Midnight - Monday Night Jazz Jam presented by Louis V. — Rosie O'Grady's • 3402 Adams Ave, San Diego, CA 92116, San Diego, CA 92116 Jazz88.org/calendar
- Future Events
- JAZZ AT THE ATHENAEUM
- RALPH MOORE QUARTET FEBRUARY 9
- DAVE KING TRIO FEBRUARY 15
- BEN ALLISON & THINK FREE FEBRUARY 22
- CLAUDIA VILLELA / KENNY WERNER MARCH 2
- Herbie Hancock heads La Jolla Music Society's 2017/18 jazz concert series lineup (George Varga, SDUT) -
- La Jolla Music Society’s 2017/2018 jazz concert series at the Balboa Theatre.
- March 7, 2018 - Legendary pianist and composer Herbie Hancock, a 14-time Grammy Award-winner, will perform March 7 (2018) as part of the It will be his first concert here since Hancock and fellow jazz keyboard giant Chick Corea’s joint performance at Copley Symphony Hall in early 2015.
- April 28, 2018 - The series concludes with an April 28 (2018) concert by the Joey Alexander Trio, whose piano-playing leader is 13 and this year earned two Grammy Award nominations.
More where this comes from DAILY at Jazz88.org
Tuesday, January 23
Marty Paich 01/23/1925 100 [Arranger] [Piano] Pianist / Arranger Oakland, CA 1995
Django Reinhardt 01/23/1910 100 [Guitar] Guitarist Belgium 1953
Gary Burton 01/23/1943 100 [Vibraphone] Vibraphonist Anderson, ID
Duke Ellington plays his first Carnegie Hall concert in 1943 and introduces "Black, Brown and Beige".
Milt Jackson records “Milt Jackson From Opus De Jazz to Jazz Skyline” with cuts “Lover,” “Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man,” “The Lady is a Tramp,” “Angel Face,” “Sometimes I’m Happy” and “What’s New” for Savoy Records in Hackensack, New Jersey in 1956.
Wednesday, January 24
Marcus Printup 01/24/1967 100 [Trumpet] Convers, GA
Duane Eubanks 01/24/1969 100 [Trumpet] Philadelphia, PA
Keith Jarrett recorded his "Koln Concert" in 1975.
Thursday, January 25
Benny Golson 01/25/1925 100 [Composer] [Saxophone] Saxophonist Philadelphia, PA
Antonio Carlos Jobim 01/25/1927 100 [Composer] [Guitar] [Vocals-Lead] Brazilian Composer Rio De Janeiro 1994
In 1934, the Apollo Theater in Harlem presented its' first live stage show, featuring Benny Carter and his big band.
Friday, January 26
Stephane Grappelli 01/26/1908 100 [Violin] Vioinist Paris, France 1997
Jimmy van Huesen 01/26/1913 0 [Composer] Songwriter Syracuse, NY 1990
“The highlight of the sale was the Jimmy Van Heusen Collection, offering manuscripts by the composer as well as important letters, musical quotations and manuscripts by some of the most influential composers of the nineteenth- and twentieth centuries. Of the 76 lots offered from the collection, 93% found buyers, exceeding the high estimate for the section by more than $70,000.” Musical Manuscripts by Jimmy Van Heusen Swing on a Star at Swann [ArtFixDaily.com, 11/10/17]
Saturday, January 27
Bob Mintzer 01/27/1953 100 [Tenor Saxophone] New Rochelle, NY
Bobby Hutcherson 01/27/1941 100 [Vibraphone] Vibraphonist Los Angeles, CA 2016
Joe Henderson recorded “Mode for Joe” for Blue Note records in 1966.
Sunday, January 28
Ronnie Scott 01/28/1927 100 [Tenor Saxophone] Tenor Sax London, England 1996
Eldar Djangirov 01/28/1987 100 [Piano] Kyrgyzstan
Horace Silver cuts "Sighin' and Cryin'" and "Silver Threads Among My Soul" for Blue Note records in 1964.
Monday, January 29
Ed Shaugnessy 01/29/1929 100 [Drums and Percussion] Drummer Jersey City, NJ 2013
Lionel Hampton and His Quartet recorded “Hamp’s Salty Blues,” and “Limehouse Blues” in New York City in 1946.
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE