San Diego's Nathan East has a new self-titled release out and he joins the ranks of Albert "Tootie" Heath (with The Bad Plus' Ethan Iverson), pianist Matthew Shipp, and other new Jazz Music releases to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library for the week of February 23, 2015. You can check out their debut each week on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday evenings 6-8pm PT and then your favorite Jazz 88.3 Hosts will be adding them to their playlists for YOU to enjoy and learn!
- ATTA KID – “EAST BASICS”
- ANNIE BOOTH – “WANDERLUST”
- ANDY BROWN – “SOLOIST”
- NATHAN EAST - “NATHAN EAST”
- ALBERT “TOOTIE” HEATH / ETHAN IVERSON / BEN STREET – “PHILADELPHIA BEAT”
- KENDALL MOORE – “FOCUS”
- MATTHEW SHIPP TRIO – “TO DUKE”
- SYSTEM VII – “OUR THING”
- WALKER & KAYS – “CHASING A RAINBOW”
- GLENN ZALESKI – “MY IDEAL”
READ THE FULL ARTICLE for Jazz 88 Music Director Joe Kocherhans' quick review, links to artists websites and social, reviews. LEAVE A COMMENT!
ATTA KID – “EAST BASICS”
- Joe: Funk, organ ensemble, performing contemporary originals
- Social: Facebook, Twitter / Instagram @AttaKidMusic
- "If you miss Galactic before they discovered electronica and hip-hop, this one is for you." (OffBeat Magazine, Brett Milano)
ANNIE BOOTH – “WANDERLUST”
ANDY BROWN – “SOLOIST”
- Joe: Solo guitar outing, performing standards and jazz tunes.
NATHAN EAST - “NATHAN EAST”
- Joe: San Diego’s own superstar of the bass, performing contemporary grooves, with some vocal guest artists.
- Released in 2014, received a Grammy Nomination in the Best Contemporary Instrumental Album category.
- Social: Facebook, Twitter / Instagram @nathaneast
ALBERT “TOOTIE” HEATH / ETHAN IVERSON / BEN STREET – “PHILADELPHIA BEAT”
KENDALL MOORE – “FOCUS”
- Joe: Trombonist, leading a variety of ensembles in straight-ahead originals, jazz tunes and standards.
- Social: Facebook
- "his original charts carry the date here as they are intelligent, introspective and quite engaging." (AllAboutJazz, Edward Blanco)
MATTHEW SHIPP TRIO – “TO DUKE”
- Joe: An edgy piano trio tribute to Duke Ellington.
- Review: Matthew Shipp Trio - "To Duke" (2015), S. Victor Aaron - "Truth be told, there’s a subversive current that runs throughout all of To Duke that rebels a bit against the elegance of these Duke Ellington strains, but that elegance always wins out. Still, the battles between two these sides cleverly set up by the Matthew Shipp Trio is where all of the allure and artistry of To Duke lie."
SYSTEM VII – “OUR THING”
- Joe: Septet, performing straight-ahead band originals.
WALKER & KAYS – “CHASING A RAINBOW”
- Joe: Vocal renditions of old and new standards, jazz tunes and originals.
- Social: Facebook