|On the Halloween Day, Tuesday, November 14, 2017 installment of Jazz In The Night Tuesday (Weekly, Midnight to 2 AM PT), New (Joshua White, Neil Maxa), In Concert (Rene Marie, Kevin Mahogany, Rob Thorsen), Birthday / OTD (Ellis Marsallis, "The Theme"LISTEN LIVE or Replay Jazz In The Night Tuesday any day of the week from the Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy!|
Listen Live to Jazz 88.3 Using The Pop-Up Player...
READ ON for Annotated Playlist, Coming Week Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights, Birthdays, and On This Day In Jazz Milestones...
Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy Replay of the November 14, 2017 Show
11/14/17 00:00 AM - Ellis Marsalis - Whistle Stop [AllMusic Review] - Columbia - Puxxle, Monkey
BREAK (After Tune 1): Show Intro, Hour 1 Intro, Blog Post and Social Media Promo
11/14/17 00:09 AM - Rene Marie - Black Lace Freudian Slip - Motema - Ahn's Dream
IN CONCERT Wednesday, November 15 - Athenaeum's 2017-2018 Season - Grammy-nominated vocalist Rene Marie & Experiment In Truth (with John Chin, piano; Elias Bailey, bass; and Quentin Baxter, Jr., drums) happening Wednesday, November 15th at TSRI at 7:30PM.
“Two of her best — 2004’s “Serene Renegade” and 2011’s “Black Lace Freudian Slip” — reaffirm she is not only a very gifted singer, but also a graceful songwriter.” - George Varga [René Marie left marriage, banking job and religion to thrive as jazz singer, San Diego Union Tribune]
BIRTHDAY: Tuesday, November 7 - Rene Marie 11/07/1955 100 [Vocals-Lead] Warrenton, VA
11/14/17 00:16 AM - Neil Maxa - Viola - N/A - Fungii Mama
BREAK: KSDS Development - Diverse Storytelling Membership
11/14/17 00:24 AM - Joshua White - 13 Short Stories - Fresh Sound Records - Scarlet Tanager
NEW RELEASE / IN CONCERT Monday, November 2 - Jazz - Noon - Joshua White — Athenaeum Music & Arts Library • 1008 Wall St, La Jolla, CA 92037
11/14/17 00:30 AM - Kevin Mahogany - The Vienna Affair - Beautiful Fight
IN CONCERT Thursday, November 16 - 8:00 PM - Kevin Mahogany - "An Evening with Kevin Mahogany" — Martinis Above Fourth • 3940 4th Ave, Hillcrest, CA 92103
11/14/17 00:34 AM - Miles Davis - The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions Disc 1 - Prestige - The Theme
ON THIS DAY #OTD (Thursday) November 16 - Miles Davis recorded “Stablemates”, “How Am I to Know?”, “Just Squeeze Me”, “There Is No Greater Love”, “The Theme”, and “S’Posin’ “ for Prestige Records in 1955. [Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet - Wikipedia]
BREAK: San Diego Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights for Tuesday, November 14 through Monday, November 20
11/14/17 00:44 AM - Rob Thorsen - Moon Ray - CDbaby - Bohemia After Dark
11/14/17 00:49 AM - Simon Pilbrow w/Brent Fischer Orchestra - Colours Of Sound - N/A - A Fischer's Line
BREAK (Before Last Tune of Hour): Coming Up In Hour 2, Blog and Social Media Promo
11/14/17 00:57 AM - Mike Wofford - It's Personal - Capri Records - Cole Porter
11/14/17 01:02 AM - Dave Askren / Jeff Benedict Quartet - Come Together - Tapestry - Moments Notice
BREAK (After Tune 1): Hour 2 Intro, Hour 1 Final Tune, Blog Post and Social Media Promo
11/14/17 01:10 AM - Ella Fitzgerald - Someone To Watch Over Me - N/A - I Get A Kick Out Of You
“The collection encapsulates the prolific period in Ella’s career from 1950 to 1961, during her historic relationship with Decca Records and later Verve (founded by her manager Norman Granz) that includes Ella’s first recording for Verve, ‘I Get A Kick Out of You’, from Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book in 1956…” MORE… [UDiscoverMusic, Laura Stavropoulos]
11/14/17 01:14 AM - Vincent Herring - Hard Times - Smoke Sessions Records - Eastern Joy Dance
Blues Jam - Guest Jammer: Whitney Shay - The Blues Jam is in full-swing and happens every Wednesday night at Proud Mary's (located at the Ramada Inn: 5500 Kearny Mesa Road, 92111) from 6:30-9:30pm.
SDCCD - Free Career Training - Certificates / Free Calses
11/14/17 01:26 AM - Ben Allison - Riding The Nuclear Tiger [AllMusic.com Review] - Palmetto - Love Chant Remix
BIRTHDAY (Friday) November 17 Ben Allison 11/17/1966 100 [Bass] New Haven, CT
IN CONCERT - JAZZ AT THE ATHENAEUM - BEN ALLISON & THINK FREE FEBRUARY 22, 2018
11/14/17 01:34 AM - Brian Blade - Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band - N/A - Broken Leg Days
NEW RELEASE “Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band marks its 20th anniversary with the release of their sublime fifth album, Body and Shadow, a succinct nine-track meditation on lightness/darkness that arrives like a balm for the soul, ebbing and flowing with grace, subtlety and no shortness of beauty. “ [Blue Note Records Preview]
BREAK: Jazz and Blues Birthdays and On This Day Milestones, November 14 through November 20
11/14/17 01:43 AM - John Coltrane - The Prestige Recordings (May 7, 1956 - Dec 26, 1958) (Disc 8 - Prestige - Our Delight
ON THIS DAY #OTD (Wednesday) November 15 - John Coltrane recorded "Our Delight", "They Can’t Take That Away From Me", "Woody'n You" and "I Got it Bad" (and That ain't Good) for Prestige records. The year was 1957. [Originally on Red Garland “All Mornin’ Long - AllMusic.com Review]
11/14/17 01:49 AM - Cal Tjader - Talkin' Verve: Roots Of Acid Jazz - Verve Afro-Blue
BREAK (Before Last Tune of Show): Blog and Social Media Promo, Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy Replay
11/14/17 01:55 AM - Delfeayo Marsalis - Kalamazoo - Troubadour Jazz Records - If I Were A Bell
NEW RELEASE “While no single album can capture an artist's sound, soul, and spirit, this one does a fine job in giving us a glimpse of the real and true Delfeayo Marsalis.” [AllAboutJazz.com Review, Dan Bilawsky]
- Tuesday, November 14
- Broadway 7:30 PM - Broadway’s Fabulous Fifties with Bruno Leone — Athenaeum Music & Arts Library • 1008 Wall St, La Jolla, CA 92037
- Wednesday, November 15
- Blues Jam - Guest Jammer: Whitney Shay. The Blues Jam is in full-swing and happens every Wednesday night at Proud Mary's (located at the Ramada Inn: 5500 Kearny Mesa Road, 92111) from 6:30-9:30pm.
- Athenaeum's 2017-2018 Season - Jazz 88.3 is so proud to support the Athenaeum's 2017-2018 season! Next Up: Grammy-nominated vocalist Rene Marie & Experiment In Truth (with John Chin, piano; Elias Bailey, bass; and Quentin Baxter, Jr., drums) happening Wednesday, November 15th at TSRI at 7:30PM. In a span of two decades, 11 recordings and countless stage performances, vocalist René Marie has cemented her reputation as not only a singer but also a composer, arranger, theatrical performer and teacher. Guided and tempered by powerful life lessons and rooted in jazz traditions laid down by Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington and other leading ladies of past generations, she borrows various elements of folk, R&B and even classical and country to create a captivating hybrid style. Her body of work is musical, but it’s more than just music. It’s an exploration of the bright and dark corners of the human experience, and an affirmation of the power of the human spirit. For more information, or to purchase tickets, simply click here!
- Thursday, November 16
- 8:00 PM - Kevin Mahogany - "An Evening with Kevin Mahogany" — Martinis Above Fourth • 3940 4th Ave, Hillcrest, CA 92103
- Friday, November 17
- Saturday, November 18
- Blues - 7:00 PM - Robin Henkel Band with Whitney Shay — Proud Mary's • 5550 Kearny Mesa Rd, San Diego, CA 92111
- Sunday, November 19
- Monday, November 20
- Jazz - Noon - Joshua White — Athenaeum Music & Arts Library • 1008 Wall St, La Jolla, CA 92037
- Future Events
- Camarada's 2017-2018 season is officially in full-swing! Up Next: "Let it Snow" happening Sunday, December 17th at Bread & Salt (6:30PM). Join Camarada as they celebrate the holidays in style at Bread & Salt in Barrio Logan. Enjoy a one of a kind art exhibit and festive music: Let it Snow, Winter Wonderland, Deck the Halls, and more!
- Herbie Hancock heads La Jolla Music Society's 2017/18 jazz concert series lineup (George Varga, SDUT) -
- La Jolla Music Society’s 2017/2018 jazz concert series at the Balboa Theatre.
- March 7, 2018 - Legendary pianist and composer Herbie Hancock, a 14-time Grammy Award-winner, will perform March 7 (2018) as part of the It will be his first concert here since Hancock and fellow jazz keyboard giant Chick Corea’s joint performance at Copley Symphony Hall in early 2015.
- April 28, 2018 - The series concludes with an April 28 (2018) concert by the Joey Alexander Trio, whose piano-playing leader is 13 and this year earned two Grammy Award nominations.
- Jazz 88.3 KSDS San Diego Jazz Club Caravan - Saturday, January 27
- Athenaeum's 2017-2018 Season - Jazz 88.3 is so proud to support the Athenaeum's 2017-2018 season!
- ATHENAEUM JAZZ AT TSRI
- MIKE WOFFORD: SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS ARE… DECEMBER 2
- JAZZ AT THE ATHENAEUM
- RALPH MOORE QUARTET FEBRUARY 9
- DAVE KING TRIO FEBRUARY 15
- BEN ALLISON & THINK FREE FEBRUARY 22
- CLAUDIA VILLELA / KENNY WERNER MARCH 2
More where this comes from DAILY at Jazz88.org
Tuesday, November 14
George Cables 11/14/1944 100 [Keyboards-Various] [Piano] Pianist Brooklyn, NY
Ellis Marsalis 11/14/1934 100 [Piano] Pianist New Orleans, LA
New Orleans red light district, Storyville, is shut down by the U.S.Navy in 1917.
Tommy Dorsey featuring drummer Buddy Rich record Sy Oliver's "Opus Number One" back in 1944.
Wednesday, November 15
Kevin Eubanks 11/15/1957 100 [Guitar] Guitarist Philadelphia, PA
Jerome Richardson 11/15/1920 100 [Alto Saxophone] [Flute] [Sopranino Saxophone] [Tenor Saxophone] Multi-Instrumentalist Oakland, CA 2000
John Coltrane recorded "Our Delight", "They Can’t Take That Away From Me", "Woody'n You" and "I Got it Bad" (and That ain't Good) for Prestige records. The year was 1957.
Thursday, November 16
W.C. Handy 11/16/1873 100 [Band Leader] [Piano] Blues Songwriter Florence, AL 1958
Dolo Coker 11/16/1927 100 [Piano] Pianist Hartford, CT 1983
Eddie Condon 11/16/1905 100 [Guitar] Guitarist
Miles Davis recorded “Stablemates”, “How Am I to Know?”, “Just Squeeze Me”, “There Is No Greater Love”, “The Theme”, and “S’Posin’ “ for Prestige Records in 1955. Goodland, IN 1973
Friday, November 17
Ben Allison 11/17/1966 100 [Bass] New Haven, CT
Roswell Rudd 11/17/1935 100 [Trombone] Trombonist Sharon, CT
Harlem stride pianist James P.Johnson died on this day in New York City in 1955. He was 64.
Saturday, November 18
Johnny Mercer 11/18/1909 100 [Arranger] [Lyricist] [Producer] [Vocals-Lead] Composer Savannah, GA 1976
Don Cherry 11/18/1936 100 [Trumpet] Trumpeter Oklahoma City, OK 1995
Sheila Jordan 11/18/1928 100 [Vocals-Lead] Vocalist Detroit, MI
Bandleader Artie Shaw at the peak of his career splits up his band and heads for Mexico. The year was 1939.
Cab Calloway died in 1994 in Hosckessin, Maryland. He was 87.
Sunday, November 19
Tommy Dorsey 11/19/1905 100 [Trombone] Trombonist/Bandleader Shenandoah, PA 1956
Vincent Herring 11/19/1964 100 [Alto Saxophone] [Flute] [Tenor Saxophone] Hopkinsville, KY
Cal Tjader records "Afro Blue" in 1964 for Verve records.
Monday, November 20
Don Braden 11/20/1963 100 [Tenor Saxophone] Cincinnati, OH
Skeeter Best 11/20/1914 100 [Guitar] Guitarist Kingston, NC 1985
Benny Goodman recorded "Fascinating Rhythm" on Columbia records in 1945.
Les Brown records "Sentimental Journey" with Doris Day in 1944. It was Miss Day's first million seller.