|On the Halloween Day, Tuesday, November 7, 2017 installment of Jazz In The Night Tuesday (Weekly, Midnight to 2 AM PT), Halloween 2017 doesn't make much of an appearance, but we do have new jazz releases (Joshua White!, Pat Martino, Jonathan Suraga, Richie Cole, P J Perry), preview of upcoming San Diego Jazz and Blues calendar (Gregory Porter 11/3, Patti Austin 11/3, and Danny Green 11/3), and Birthday and On This Day In Jazz History selections (Booker Ervin, Conrad Herwig, Lester Young / Harry Edison "Prez and Sweets", Azar Lawrence). LISTEN LIVE or Replay Jazz In The Night Tuesday any day of the week from the Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy!|
Listen Live to Jazz 88.3 Using The Pop-Up Player...
READ ON for Annotated Playlist, Coming Week Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights, Birthdays, and On This Day In Jazz Milestones...
Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy Replay of the November 7, 2017 Show
11/07/17 00:00 AM - Scott Whitfield - Hiding In Plain Sight - Table Eleven
IN CONCERT Jazz Live- Trombonist Scott Whitfield - Jazz Live welcomes acclaimed trombonist, Scott Whitfield, as he marks his debut at the Saville Theatre on Tuesday, November 7 at 8pm. The concert is for Jazz 88 members only. If you are a current Jazz88 member you can reserve up to two free tickets in the Speakeasy. Call Ken Borgers at 619-388-3301 to become a member.
“a player who doesn't have to rely entirely on technique showing he can produce a settled, serene sound to the slide instrument when called upon to do so. Recommended.” [AllMusic.com Review, Dave Nathan]
BREAK (After Tune 1): Show Intro, Hour 1 Intro, Blog Post and Social Media Promo
11/07/17 00:11 AM - Rene Marie - I Wanna Be Evil: With Love To Eartha Kitt - Weekend
BREAK: IN CONCERT TONIGHT 11/7 Jazz Live- Trombonist Scott Whitfield - with Ira Nepus- trombone, Jeff Colella- piano, Jennifer Leitham- bass, Kendall Kay- drums.
11/07/17 00:22 AM - Caesar Frazier - Instinct - N/A - Thieves In The Temple
“Like so many of his B-3 brothers and sisters, Frazier has found a champion in velvet-baritoned KCSM disc jockey Pete Fallico. He arranged Frazier’s Bay Area dates, which precede a recording session for Fallico’s label Doodlin Records. And Fallico assembled the top-shelf band for Frazier’s gigs and recording, featuring saxophonist/flutist Lyle Link, guitarist Jacques Lesure and veteran drummer Leon Joyce, Jr.”.[EastBayNews, Andrew Gilbert]
11/07/17 00:28 AM - Jennifer Leitham [Website] - The Real Me - CDbaby - Riff Raff
11/07/17 00:32 AM - Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles - Blue Note Records - Oliloqui Valley
BREAK: San Diego Jazz and Blues Calendar Highlights for Tuesday, November 7 through Monday, November 13
11/07/17 00:44 AM - Peter Sprague - Blurring The Edges - Sbe Records - Desert Moon
11/07/17 00:50 AM - Gregory Porter - Nat Blue Note - Nature Boy
BREAK (Before Last Tune of Hour): Coming Up In Hour 2, Blog and Social Media Promo
11/07/17 00:55 AM - Howard Rumsey - Sunday Jazz A La Lighthouse, Vol. 1 - Contemporary Records - Morgan Davis
11/07/17 01:02 AM - Eric Wyatt - Look To The Sky - N/A - Look To The Sky - Sister Carol
“Then Wyatt enters, and he completely changes the sonic landscape, playing alto with the kind of “flat” tone associated with both Rollins and Coltrane (but not with Bird). This is wonderful jazz! [The Art Music Lounge, Lynn René Bayley]
BREAK (After Tune 1): Hour 2 Intro, Hour 1 Final Tune, Blog Post and Social Media Promo
11/07/17 01:13 AM - Rebecca Jade - Planet Cole Porter - Sbe Records - I Get A Kick Out Of You
IN CONCERT Wednesday, November 8 - Peter Sprague band featuring vocalist Rebecca Jade playing music of Cole Porter - 6:15 PM - Rancho Bernardo Library • 17110 Bernardo Center Dr, San Diego , CA 92128 MORE DAILY AT Jazz88.org
IN CONCERT Friday, November 10 - Jazz Happy Hour at The Handlery Hotel San Diego - Peter Sprague Trio with saxophone/flutist Tripp Sprague and bassist Mackenzie Leighton
11/07/17 01:24 AM - Mose Allison - Ever Since The World Ended - Blue Note Records - Ever Since The World Ended
11/07/17 11:29 AM - Scott Whitfield, Bob Florence - Live At Charlie O'S - Summit Records - You Go To My Head
BREAK: Jazz and Blues Birthdays and On This Day Milestones, November 7 through November 13
11/07/17 01:42 AM - Hampton Hawes - Four! Hampton Hawes!!!! [AllMusic Review, Scott Yanow] - Contemporary Records - Love Is Just Around the Corner
11/07/17 01:47 AM - Frank Perowsky Jazz Orchestra - An Afternoon In Gowanus - N/A - Spang A Lang
BREAK (Before Last Tune of Show): Blog and Social Media Promo, Jazz 88.3 Speakeasy Replay
11/07/17 01:55 AM - Warren Wolf - Convergance - Mack Avenue Records - Havoc
- Tuesday, November 7
- Jazz Live- Trombonist Scott Whitfield - Jazz Live welcomes acclaimed trombonist, Scott Whitfield, as he marks his debut at the Saville Theatre on Tuesday, November 7 at 8pm. This composer, bandleader and arranger will be fronting a great band for an unforgettable night of music- Ira Nepus- trombone, Jeff Colella- piano, Jennifer Leitham- bass, Kendall Kay- drums. The concert is for Jazz 88 members only. If you are a current Jazz88 member you can reserve up to two free tickets in the Speakeasy. Call Ken Borgers at 619-388-3301 to become a member. Thanks to Big Front Door Sandwich Shop for providing food for the Jazz Live artists. Remember, that good ole' parking pass and come hungry, because food trucks will be on site!
- Wednesday, November 8
- Blues Jam - Guest Jammer: Harmonica John [website]. The Blues Jam is in full-swing and happens every Wednesday night at Proud Mary's (located at the Ramada Inn: 5500 Kearny Mesa Road, 92111) from 6:30-9:30pm.
- Peter Sprague band featuring vocalist Rebecca Jade playing music of Cole Porter - 6:15 PM - Rancho Bernardo Library • 17110 Bernardo Center Dr, San Diego , CA 92128
- Thursday, November 9
- Friday, November 10
- Saturday, November 11
- Irving Flores @Maretalia Piano Lounge — 5:30 PM - Maretalia Ristorante • 1300 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
- Sunday, November 12
- Monday, November 13
- Future Events
- Rene Marie - November 15, Athenaeum Jazz at TSRI
- Jazz 88.3 KSDS San Diego Jazz Club Caravan - Saturday, January 27
- Herbie Hancock heads La Jolla Music Society's 2017/18 jazz concert series lineup (George Varga, SDUT) -
- March 7, 2018 - Legendary pianist and composer Herbie Hancock, a 14-time Grammy Award-winner, will perform March 7 (2018) as part of the It will be his first concert here since Hancock and fellow jazz keyboard giant Chick Corea’s joint performance at Copley Symphony Hall in early 2015.
- April 28, 2018 - The series concludes with an April 28 (2018) concert by the Joey Alexander Trio, whose piano-playing leader is 13 and this year earned two Grammy Award nominations.
More where this comes from DAILY at Jazz88.org
Tuesday, November 7
Howard Rumsey 11/07/1917 100 [Bass] Bassist Brawley, CA
Rene Marie 11/07/1955 100 [Vocals-Lead] Warrenton, VA
Joni Mitchell 11/07/1943 100 [Vocals-Lead] Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada
Alvin Batiste 11/07/1932 100 [Clarinet] New Orleans, LA 2007
Duke Ellington records his dance concert at the Crystal Ballroom in Fargo, North Dakota in 1940
Wednesday, November 8
Russell Malone 11/08/1963 0 [Guitar] Guitarist Albany, GA
Patricia Barber 11/08/1955 100 [Piano] Chicago, IL
Don Byron 11/08/1958 100 [Clarinet] New York, NY
Andrew Hill recorded the album “Black Fire” for Blue Note Records in 1963
Stan Getz is captured live "At the Shrine" on Verve records in 1954.
Thursday, November 9
Jesse Davis 11/09/1965 100 [Alto Saxophone] Alto Saxophonist Warsaw, Poland
Muggsy Spanier 11/09/1906 100 [Cornet] Dixie Cornetist Chicago, IL 1967
Friday, November 10
Joe LaBarbera 11/10/1948 0 [Drums and Percussion] Drummer Dansville, NY
Houston Person 11/10/1934 100 [Tenor Saxophone] Tenor Saxophonist Florence, SC
Warren Wolf 11/10/1979 0 [Vibraphone] Baltimore, MD
Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra recorded “Hawk’s Nest, “ “Mingus Fingers,” “Muchacho Azul,” and “Midnight Sun” in Los Angeles in 1947.
1956 Billie Holiday performs her "Carnegie Hall" concert and it is recorded for Verve records.
Saturday, November 11
Mose Allison 11/11/1927 100 [Piano] [Vocals-Lead] Pianist/Vocalist Tippo, MS
Ernestine Anderson 11/11/1928 100 [Vocals-Lead] Vocalist Houston, TX
guitarist Wes Montgomery records "Movin' Wes" for Verve records in 1964.
Claude Thornhill cuts "Sunday Kind of Love" in 1946.
Sunday, November 12
Jim Pugh 11/12/1950 0 [Trombone] Trombonist Butler, PA
Sam Jones 11/12/1924 100 [Bass] [Cello] Bassist Jacksonville, FL 1981
Louis Armstrong and the Hot Fives cut their first session for Okeh records in 1925. The session produced "My Heart", "Yes! I'm in the Barrel", "Gut Bucket Blues".
Monday, November 13
Bennie Moten 11/13/1894 100 [Piano] Pianist/Bandleader Kansas City, MO 1935
Hampton Hawes 11/13/1928 100 [Piano] Pianist Los Angeles, CA 1977
Idris Muhammad 11/13/1939 100 [Drums and Percussion] New Orleans, LA
Ella "Swings Brightly" and "Lightly" with Nelson Riddle for Verve Records in 1961.
Woody Herman records "Las Chiapenecas" and "Down Under" in New York City for Decca Records.