This Is The New #Jazz Thing Monday January 6 2014 - Jazz Education and Business in 2014
|LISTEN LIVE Monday 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and DAI Architecture - Where A Dream Becomes A Design!|
Tonight on the show...
- Jazz Forward Coalition President Peter Gordon: The Jazz Connect Conference, organized by JazzTimes in conjunction with the Jazz Forward Coalition (JFC), takes place Thursday and Friday, January 9 and 10, 2013 in New York City. The 2013 conference saw attendance triple from 2012 to over 1,000 registrants making it one of the largest Jazz conferences. This year's theme is "The Road Ahead" and will include workshops, panels, and events with titles such as “Navigating Social Media”; “The Role of Education in Presenting Jazz”; “The New Paradigm for Record Labels”;and “Radio Airplay & Promotion 101”. We will be chatting with JFC founding member and conference organizer Peter Gordon about the JFC, the conference, and the major challenges for the business of Jazz in 2014 and forward.
- Dave Douglas will be a panel presenter ("“The New Paradigm for Record Labels”) at Jazz Connect and was on the NY Times Best of 2013 for "Time Travel", so we'll dip into that disc.
- Jazz Education Network Executive Board Members: The Jazz Education Network (JEN) Annual Conference takes place in Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, January 8, 2013 through Saturday, January 11 and brings together over 3,000 jazz educations, student musicians, internationally renown musicians, and fans for a series of workshops, panels, and lots of performances. Their mission closely hews to the mission of San Diego's Jazz 88.3 and they will be holding their 2015 conference in San Diego, so Jazz 88 will be represented at the Dallas conference to begin planning for 2015 and forward. We'll be chatting with JEN President Andrew Surmani, Co-Founder/Past-President/Conference Coordinator Dr. Lou Fischer, and President-Elect Bob Sinicrope from Dallas as they make final preparations for the conference.
- New Jazz Made This Week! I'm looking to start a new feature on TNJT where I play Jazz Made This Week and posted online somewhere it can be shared with others. Did you go into the studio and post something on Soundcloud? Did your band play a gig and there's a video up on YouTube? Where else should I be looking for Jazz Made This Week...BandCamp, Reverbnation, ...?
- Jazzweek.com Year End Jazz Chart: 2013: The No. 1 CD on the Top 100 Jazz Chart for 2013 as reported by JazzWeek stations is Christian McBride Trio Out Here (Mack Avenue). During 2013, this release was reported during 24 weeks and accumulated 4,408 spins. It peaked at No. 1 for three consecutive weeks: Aug. 26, Sept. 2 and Sept. 9. Is this chart biased for releases early in 2013? What other things can we learn from this chart? Wasn't Gregory Porter at the top for 9 weeks, but only ranks #11?
- 56th Grammy Awards For Jazz will be given out Sunday, January 26, 2014. We'll do a quick review of the nominees and feature some music too!
- Leonard Patton was one of George Varga's 2014 Faces To Watch, so we'll get ready for his 2014 release with soimething by this former (and hopefully returning) TNJT guest!
- SD Jazz Writer extraordinaire Robert Bush released his Top 10 SD Jazz Releases of 2013, so we'll dip into that list and see what we pull out!
- Clarinetist and sometimes vocalist Bobby Gordon, who made his home in San Diego, passed away on December 31, 2013. He was also well known from his time on Riverwalk Jazz. We'll play something in his honor.
Student Delivered Sound
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
Copyright © 2018 KSDS
KSDS Jazz 88.3 is a non-profit 501c3 organization, a part of the San Diego City College District.
is a service of NetChain Communications, Inc.