LISTEN LIVE to The New Jazz Thing at 88.3 FM in San Diego and WORLDWIDE via the LISTEN LIVE button at Jazz88.org!
Tonight on the show...We'll be debuting all of this week's new adds to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library, including the much anticipated...at least by me ;)...release of "The Thompson Fields" from the Maria Schneider Orchestra, 8 years after their last release "Sky Blue".
- Jazz 88 Playlist Archive for Monday, June 8, 2015 (scroll to 6-8pm PT for the LIVE Playlist)
- Jazz 88 Blog: Grammy Winner Maria Schnieder's The Thompson Fields Among The New Releases At San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Monday June 8 2015: "The Thompson Fields" is Jazz composer, arranger, and band leader Maria Schneider's first release in 8 years with the Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra, but in the mean time she won 3 Grammy Awards in 2014 in the classical music category for "Winter Morning Walks". Her new release is among 10 new Jazz albums being added to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library the week of June 8, 2015.
- Jazz 88.3 Jazz and Blues Calendar (Jazz88.org/calendar)- All the best happenings in #SDJazz and #SDBlues!
- Jazz Live San Diego - Chuchito Valdes LIVE TUESDAY 8-10pm PT.
- ARE YOU GOING? Let us know on our Chuchito Valdes Facebook Event!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy - Jazz Live San Diego Preview - Chuchito Valdes, June 9, 2015 (12:58)
- Wednesday Blues Jam at Proud Mary's
- Friday, June 12 at La Jolla Athenaeum - Marianne Trudel Trifolia Trio - "Le Refuge" Added Last Week @Jazz88
- Sunday, June 14, Blues Brunch at Proud Mary's
- Sunday Jazz Jam at Old Venice
- Jazz 88 Facebook Post (via SDNEWS.com): Delicious Italian dishes and service keeps customers coming back to Old Venice Restaurant
- Sunday at 98 Bottles 6PM - Jason Yeager Trio feat. Danny Weller - former student of Jazz Education Network President Bob Sinicrope.
- On The Jazz 88.3 Blog and Social Media
- Jazz 88 Blog: Young Jazz Lions Looking For A New Den: Gilbert Castellanos Young Lions series, for the past 16 months at Croce's Park West, is looking for a new home as of July.
- Jazz 88 Facebook Post (via SD Jewish Journal): Danny Green Heading To New York To Record New Album! Family Man, Educator, MUSICIAN!
- Jazz 88 Twitter Post
- Top New Follower: @StyleofSound (93.K Followers)
- Top Tweet (2,056 Impressions): LISTEN LIVE TO Progressive Night w Miff Mole
- Top Media Tweet: @Kawai Piano - Thanks For The Follow - Jazz Piano's picture
- Jazz Birthday and On This Day in Jazz - Updated EVERYDAY on Jazz88.org - Visit Often!
- Kenny Barron - Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week
- Jazz At Lincoln Center Presents: The Fire Of The Fundamentals: We heard "Trinkle, Tinkle" from this 19945 release.
- On This Day In Jazz - Week of 2015.6.8
6/8/2012 Artie Shaw recorded "A Foggy Day" on Bluebird records in 1945. 6/8/2012 Willie Bobo made his album "Spanish Grease" in 1965. This is also his first Verve session as a leader. 6/8/2012 Blues shouter Jimmy Rushing dies in New York City in 1972 at the age of 69. 6/8/2012 Sidney Bechet records "Summertime" for Blue Note records in 1939. 6/9/2012 Jelly Roll Morton records "Jelly Roll Blues" for Gen records in 1924. 6/9/2012 Claude Thornhill cuts the first post-World War II recordings in 1946. 6/10/2012 On a sad note, the legendary Ray Charles died from liver complications on this date in 2004, in Beverly Hills, California. He was 73. 6/10/2012 The Erskine Hawkins orchestra records the classic Avery Parrish composition "After Hours" and "Sweet Georgia Brown" for Bluebird records in 1940. 6/11/2012 Trumpeter/Composer Lee Morgan records "The Gigolo" in 1965 for Blue Note Records in New York City. 6/11/2012 C-melody saxophonist Frankie Trumbauer died in Kansas City in 1956. He was 55 years old. 6/12/2012 And another Artie Shaw recording, "The Man I Love" on Bluebird records in 1945 happened today. 6/12/2012 Artie Shaw recorded "Traffic Jam 6/12/2012 The Count Basie Orchestra and the Benny Goodman band play Madison Square Garden in 1938. 6/12/2012 Ella Fitzgerald backed by the Chick Webb band makes her recording debut with "Love and Kisses" in 1935 for Decca records. 6/13/2012 Benny Goodman, "The King of Swing," died in New York City in 1986. He was 77. 6/13/2012 Oscar Peterson records his album "Bursting Out with the All-star Big Band" in 1962. 6/14/2012 Also, one of our most beloved composers, Henry Mancini, died in Los Angeles in 1994. He was 70 years old. 6/14/2012 Artie Shaw recorded "Lucky Number" on Bluebird records in 1945. 6/14/2012 On a sad note, in 2008, pianist/composer Esbjorn Svensson died in a diving accident near an island off Stockholm, Sweden. He was 44.
First Name Last Name Birthdate Birth Place Instrument Uri Caine 6/8/1956 Philadelphia, PA Julie Tippetts 6/8/1947 Vocalist Bill Watrous 6/8/1939 Middletown, CT Trombonist Louis Aldebert 6/8/1931 Pianist/Vocalist Dante Martucci 6/8/1922 NYC, NY Bassist Erwin Lehn 6/8/1919 Bandleader/Vibist Freddy Webster 6/8/1917 Cleveland, OH Trumpeter Johnny Holmes 6/8/1916 Trumpeter Bill Rank 6/8/1904 Trombonist Lou Black 6/8/1901 Banjo Player Mick Goodrick 6/9/1945 Sharon, PA Guitarist Igor Bril 6/9/1944 Moscow Pianist/Composer Kenny Barron 6/9/1943 Philadelphia, PA Pianist/Composer Mike Melillo 6/9/1939 Newark, NJ Pianist Eje Thelin 6/9/1938 Trombonist Jimmy Gourley 6/9/1926 St. Louis, MO Guitarist Gosta Theselius 6/9/1922 Pianist/Saxophonist Les Paul 6/9/1915 Waukesha, WI Guitarist Sanford Gold 6/9/1911 Cleveland, OH Pianist Cole Porter 6/9/1891 Peru, IN Songwriter Jonathan Kreisberg 6/10/1972 New York, NY Dwayne Burno 6/10/1970 Philadelphia, PA Charnett Moffett 6/10/1967 Philadelphia, PA Bassist Gary Thomas 6/10/1961 Baltimore, MD David Goloshchokin 6/10/1944 Pianist/Reedman John Stevens 6/10/1940 Drummer Joao Gilberto 6/10/1931 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil Guy Pedersen 6/10/1930 Bassist Wes Hensel 6/10/1919 Cleveland, OH Composer/Trumpeter Dickie Wells 6/10/1909 Centerville, TN Trombonist Willie Lewis 6/10/1905 Reedman/Vocalist Frederick Loewe 6/10/1901 Berlin, Germany Composer Andy Blakeney 6/10/1898 Trumpeter Punch Miler 6/10/1894 Trumpeter/Vocalist Chink Martin 6/10/1886 Bassist/Tuba Alex Sipiagin 6/11/1967 Yaroslavl, Russia Jamaaladeen Tacuma 6/11/1956 Hempstead, NY Bassist Roger Glenn 6/11/1945 Bernard Purdie 6/11/1939 Elkton, MD Drummer Nils Lindberg 6/11/1933 Uppsala, Sweden Pianist Lennie Niehaus 6/11/1929 St. Louis, MO Saxophonist/Arranger Maurice Vander 6/11/1929 Pianist Bob Gordon 6/11/1928 Baritone Saxophonist Shelly Manne 6/11/1920 NYC, NY Drummer Hazel Scott 6/11/1920 Trinidad Pianist/Vocalist Lagos Martiny 6/11/1912 Pianist Pinetop Smith 6/11/1904 Troy, AL Singer/Pianist Kaiser Marshall 6/11/1899 Drummer Geri Allen 6/12/1957 Pontiac, Mi Jesper Lundgaard 6/12/1954 Bassist Chick Corea 6/12/1941 Chelsea, MA Keyboardist Marcus Belgrave 6/12/1936 Chester, PA Al Fairweather 6/12/1927 Trumpeter Zeke Zarchy 6/12/1915 Trumpeter Gene Hall 6/12/1913 Whitewright, TX C-Melody Sax Harold Danko 6/13/1947 Sharon, PA Frank Strozier 6/13/1937 Memphis, TN Saxophonist/Composer Georges Arvanitas 6/13/1931 Marseille, France Organist/Pianist Rudi Sehring 6/13/1930 Drummer Attila Zoller 6/13/1927 Visegrad, Hungary Guitarist Phil Bodner 6/13/1919 Waterbury, CT Reedman Si Zentner 6/13/1917 New York, NY Trombonist Eddie Beal 6/13/1910 Redlands, CA Pianist Garland Wilson 6/13/1909 Martinsburgh, WV Pianist Clarence Hutchenrider 6/13/1908 Waco, TX Reedman Edwin Swayze 6/13/1906 Trumpeter Doc Cheatham 6/13/1905 Nashville, TN Trumpeter Richard Jones 6/13/1892 Donaldsonville, LA Pianist Charlie Elgar 6/13/1885 New Orleans, LA Bandleader Marcus Miller 6/14/1959 NYC, NY Bassist Kenny Drew Jr. 6/14/1958 New York, NY Janusz Stefanski 6/14/1946 Drummer Tiit Paulus 6/14/1945 Guitarist Pete Lemer 6/14/1942 London, England Keyboardist Kent Carter 6/14/1939 Hanover, NH Bassist Burton Greene 6/14/1937 Chicago, IL Pianist Chuck Berghofer 6/14/1937 Denver, CO Bassist Cy Coleman 6/14/1929 NYC, NY Pianist Pepsi Auer 6/14/1928 Pianist John Simmons 6/14/1918 Bassist Nappy Lamare 6/14/1907 New Orleans, LA Guitarist Sid Phillps 6/14/1902 London, England Clarinetist