On The New Jazz Thing, Monday, September 21, 2015, Stephen Rey, leader of the Sextet that will be poolside at our Jazz-Inspired Pool Party at The Lafayette this Sunday, September 27 from Noon-3pm, dropped by to give us the scoop on his band, musical plans, and more...including a cool tune "Old Fashion Future". We also featured ALL of the new music being added this week, including a rollicing instrumental from Mose Allison and killer work from Jon Irabagon, plus lots more new. And Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week Frank Foster featured from his days as leader of the Count Basie Big Band and a version of his classic "Shiny Stockings". Check out a replay of the full show (including the entire version of Stephen Rey's "Old Fashion Future"), interview audio AND video, and more!
Debuts of the new jazz music getting added this week, preview of our Artist of the Week, Birthday and On This Day Upcoming Highlights, Jazz and Blues Calendar Preview, and more New Jazz Things! LIVE Monday, September 21, 2015, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!).
- Jazz 88 Playlist Archive: Monday, September 21, 2015 (scroll to 6-8PM PT for full show playlist)
- 12 New Jazz Releases Coming To San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Music Library September 21 2015: We've got a great stack of new music coming to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library the week of September 21, 2015, including previously unreleased Live performances from Mose Allison, "a sure-footed dispatch" from saxophonist Jon Irabagon (featuring the great Tom Harrell), and more!
- Jazz Live - Doug Webb Quartet - Hear the entire Jazz Live Show and Interview, audio and video, pics and more!
- Stephen Rey - Our Musical Guest for this weekend's Jazz-Inspired Pool Party at The Lafayette, Sunday, September 27, 2015, Noon-3PM stops by the Jazz 88 studios during Hour 1 to fill us in on his plans for poolside tunes, a little bio, and what's up next (a 2016 vinyl release!). Here's where Stephen Rey lives on Instagram, @Stephen_el_Rey!
- Frank Foster - Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week for September 21, 2015 - We featured "Shiny Stockings" from the 1992 Count Basie Orchestra release "Live at El Morocco", with Frank leading the band and providing the tune and arrangement!