Worldwide Influences, Inspirations, and San Diego Connections Abound In The Adds To The Jazz 88.3 Music Library for June 1 2015
- AGUANKO – “INVISIBLE”
- JD ALLEN – “GRAFFITI”
- THE BAD PLUS / JOSHUA REDMAN – “THE BAD PLUS JOSHUA REDMAN”
- KENNY CARR – “IDLE TALK”
- JOAN CHAMORRO / ANDREA MOTIS – “FEELING GOOD”
- STEVE DAVIS – “SAY WHEN”
- AARON DIEHL – “SPACE TIME CONTINUUM”
- JEFF HACKWORTH – “THE HEART OF THE MATTER”
- SCOTT HAMILTON – “PLAYS JULE STYNE”
- KU-UMBA FRANK LACY & MINGUS BIG BAND – “MINGUS SINGS”
- GILLIAN MARGOT – “BLACK BUTTERFLY”
- GARY McFARLAND TRIBUTE BAND – “CIRCULATION: THE MUSIC OF GARY McFARLAND”
- PAQUITO D’RIVERA & QUINTETO CIMARRON – “AIRES TROPICALES”
- PEARL DJANGO – “TIME FLIES”
- BRIANNA THOMAS – “YOU MUST BELIEVE IN LOVE”
- THROTTLE ELEVATOR MUSIC – “JAGGED ROCKS”
- TIEMPO LIBRE – “PANAMERICANO”
- TRIFOLIA – “LE REFUGE”
- KAMASI WASHINGTON – “THE EPIC”
- JEFF “TAIN” WATTS – “BLUE, VOL.1”
READ THE FULL ARTICLE for links to artists websites, release reviews, and additional listening notes from the Jazz 88 Music staff....
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Latin rhythms.
JD ALLEN – “GRAFFITI”
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Saxophonist, leading a quartet, in straight-ahead originals.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Female vocalist, with a bassist, performing gypsy style versions of standards.
- July, 2013 Release. What took us so long? ;)
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Trombonist, leading a quintet/quartet, in a tribute to J.J. Johnson.
AARON DIEHL – “SPACE TIME CONTINUUM”
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Pianist, leading a variety of ensembles, performing all his originals.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Saxophonist, backed by a guitar/organ trio, performing originals, jazz tunes and standards.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Saxophonist, leading primarily a quartet, performing a slice of the Great American Songbook.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Trombonist, taking a vocal turn to honor the music of Mingus.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Gypsy jazz swing from the Seattle-based group.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Clarinetist/saxophonist, with string players, doing Latin songs.
BRIANNA THOMAS – “YOU MUST BELIEVE IN LOVE”
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Female vocalist, with mostly ballad interpretations of a variety of songs.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Wildly progressive, electric sounds.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Hard-core Latin vocal grooves.
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Keyboard, with bass and drums, performing originals. An upcoming performer at the Athenaeum (June 12, 2015...info+tix).
- "Friday, June 12, brings a California debut by the Quebec-based Marianne Trudel Trifolia trio, featuring Marianne Trudel on piano, accordion, and voice; Étienne Lafrance on bass; and Patrick Graham on percussion. Trudel has been called “the hottest young pianist on the Montréal jazz scene” by Canada’s The Globe and Mail, having been frequently featured on the city’s international jazz festival, one of the world’s most prestigious jazz events. Her group Trifolia features original compositions that combine the influences of jazz, romantic music, and global rhythms, including the rich folk heritage of Quebec. The trio’s album Le Refuge was the winner of the Prix Opus 2012–2013 for jazz CD of the year. The Ottawa Citizen wrote, “If Trudel’s not one to follow the more usual jazz-tune structures to the letter, her way of doing things is remarkably accessible."
- Jazz 88 Music Directors: Drummer, with special guests, leading a mostly progressive session.
Student Delivered Sound
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE