|A list of new to really RAVE about, with new projects from former Jazz Live San Diego guests The Bad Plus and Roseanna Vitro, Jane Bunnett, Stanley Clarke, former San Diegan Kristin Korb, Chick Corea, and LOAD MORE! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 8, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)! |
- THE BAD PLUS – “INVITABLE WESTERN” (Okeh)
- DAVID BIXLER AUCTION PROJECT – “SLINK” (Self released)
- JANE BUNNETT – “MAQUEQUE” (Justin Time)
- STANLEY CLARKE – “UP” (Mack Avenue)
- KRISTIN KORB – “FINDING HOME” (Double K Music)
- KENNY WERNER - “COALITION” (Half Note)
- CHICK COREA TRIO – “TRILOGY” (Concord)
- CONRAD HERWIG - “THE LATIN SIDE OF JOE HENDERSON” (HN)
- MEDESKI, SCOFIELD, MARTIN & WOOD – “JUICE” (Indirecto)
- ADAM MECKLER ORCHESTRA – “WHEN THE CLOUDS LOOK LIKE THIS” (Self released)
- ANDY MILNE & DAPP THEORY – “FORWARD IN ALL DIRECTIONS”
- WADADA LEO SMITH – “THE GREAT LAKES SUITES” (TUM)
- IVO PERELMAN & KARL BERGER – “REVERIE” (Leo Records)
- GARY SCHUNK – “KAYAK” (DMT)
- MARK TURNER QUARTET – “LATHE OF HEAVEN” (ECM)
- ROSEANNA VITRO – “CLARITY” (Random Act)
Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
|Steve Turre is the Jazz 88 Artist of the Week for September 8, 2014. You'll be hearing his music all week as our hosts pay tribute to the man AllMusic.com calls "Perhaps the most visible jazz trombonist of the 20th and 21st centuries. " Here's our "AOW" version of the Portrait in Jazz feature of Steve Turre...|
Read the full article
for your opportunity to pay tribute, through comments, to this great, living Jazz Trombonist, along with links to additional information about Steve, video and photos of his appearance at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, January 13, 2009, and more!
|LIVE Monday, September 8, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click To Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, September 8, 2014 (2:01:46)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Matt Smith of Juice Box CD and Release Party Preview, Monday, September 8, 20214 (10:00)
- Matt Smith of Juice Box! San Diego's Juice Box plays groovy, soulful, Jazz on classic instruments in classic formats...they are releasing their 10" debut on vinyl Thursday, September 11, 2014 at a release show at Seven Grand in North Park. Drummer Matt Smith will be checking in during Hour 1 of TNJT to preview some cuts and tell us what give Juice Box their "Juice"!
- JUICE BOX: A New Take on Soul and Funk (San Diego Troubadour, September 2014)
New Adds at Jazz 88, Top 10 Countdown, Jazz News, and more coming up!
|From the Jazz88.org Home Page News Article this morning, Daniel Jackson, 1937-2014, |
Read the full article
It is with a heavy heart that Jazz 88.3 has learned of Daniel Jackson's passing this morning. He was a first rate composer, saxophonist, pianist, educator and mentor. Daniel's passion for the music and the energy it creates was unmatched. Born in La Jolla and graduated from San Diego High School, he was the epitome of San Diego Jazz. A staple. His collaborations and relationships with legends like Lenny McBrowne, Art Farmer, The Adderley brothers, Jimmy Smith, to San Diego's own- Marshall Hawkins, Charles McPherson and Gilbert Castellanos is a testament to his gift of expression. He will be cherished always.
for more link resources and remembrances of this largest of beings on the San Diego Jazz Music scene and your chance to leave your own comment at the bottom...but first, here's Daniel, with Marshall Hawkins and Mike Wofford from the 2013 San Diego Music Awards where he received a Lifetime Achievement Award,
|San Diego's Jazz 88.3 On-Air Staff wishes you and yours the happiest, most productive, and especially Jazzy Labor Day 2014 to you!|
Read the entire article
to see a larger version of this mosaic and then leave a comment for your favorite On-Air host!
Read the entire article
for links to the Jazz 88 Speakeasy audio replay, new music for the week, the New Jazz Giveaways for the show, Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart, pictures, and more!
September's getting started with a great batch of New Additions to the Jazz 88 Music Library, including the latest work from Dave Douglas, Wayne Escoffrey, and Christian Tamburr.
You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 1, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)! Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): Tiffany Jane and The Kicks "Discovery" Interview (14:43)
- Tiffany Jane and The Kicks - We'll get introduced to this 2014 San Diego Music Award Best Jazz Nominee with some music from their recently released disc "Discovery" and a chat with members of the band. We'll be chatting in Hour 1!
Read the full article for Top 10 Countdown links/video, Full list of NEW Adds @Jazz88 8/25/14, Coming up on TNJT, more!
You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, August 25, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)!
- AFRO BOP ALLIANCE – “ANGEL EYES”
- AKIKO – “COMMENCEMENT”
- PAUL CARR – “B3 SESSIONS (CD-NY)”
- KEVIN CLINE – “MAKE UP YOUR MIND”
- MICHAEL DEASE – “RELENTLESS”
- BEBE GILBERTO – “TUDO”
- JOSEPH LUNA – “EPICENTER”
- MACK AVENUE SUPER BAND – “LIVE FROM THE DETROIT JAZZ FESTIVAL-2013”
- DAWAN MUHAMMED – “PREACHIN’ TO THE CHOIR”
- JANE POTTER TRIO – “NOW I KNOW”
- “RITMOS UNIDOS”
- MITCH SHINER AND THE BLOOMING TONES BIG BAND – “FLY!”
- DARA TUCKER – “THE SUN SEASON”
- ANA VELINOVA – “THE THIEF”
- FRANK WALTON/YORON ISRAEL SEXTET – “LIVE IN CHICAGO”
|LIVE Monday, August 18, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
Tonight on the show, we chatted with the #2 artist in Jazz this week and the new Chair of the Brass Department at the Berklee College of Music, Sean Jones, and members of San Diego's Pocket who picked up a 2014 San Diego Music Award nomination for their new release "The Stick Bag". Jeff and Andy also helped me out with the Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek Jazz Album chart, we played and gave away loads of great New Jazz Music too! Read the entire article for links to audio archives of the show and interviews, links to everything that was New This Week, and more! Here's tonight's playlist just to tempt you a bit...click the link down there!
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE