|On the eve of the San Diego Chargers' win-or-stay-home final game of the 2014 season in Kansas City, Sunday, December 28, 10 AM PT, we catch up with Charger Jazz 88, aka Barry Farrar, host of Percussive Profiles each Thursday, 8-10 PM PT and Early Evening Jazz on Wednesday's 6-8 PM PT. He took some time to answer a few questions between holiday preparations, sharpening his drum sticks, and getting his tail-gate all ready for the big game. GO CHARGERS! GO JAZZ 88!|
Jazz 88 (J88):
Thanks for the check-in, Barry...I mean Charger Jazz 88...ah...What should we call you?
Charger Jazz 88 (CJ88): Doesn't matter. Its all about Jazz..Jazz 88 and my beloved BOLTS!!!!
J88: When did you become a Charger?
CJ88: I became a Charger in 1960 when the team moved here after 1 year in LA. My Dad, Barry Farrar, Sr. played sax in the Charger band. He was a single parent raising 2 boys. He would bring me to the games...his gigs.
CONTINUE TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE
for more of this riveting interview and your chance to Comment with a shout out to Barry's Chargers and Jazz 88! GO BOLTS!
|While we are all patiently waiting to hear San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Top 10 Jazz Releases of 2014 on New Years Eve, Wednesday, December 31, 2014, starting at 10am and are beginning to read (and post) some of the pontification's from the "pros", Jazz 88 would like to know what you think about this past year in the music we love...JAZZ! |
What are YOUR Top Jazz Releases of 2014? Here's how it will work....
- Make your list (via blog / Tumblr / public social media post / YouTube), check it twice, add a few literary flourishes if you dare (and even better, create an image/graphic) and put it somewhere online where we can link to it. If you need a reminder of what NEW you heard on Jazz 88.3 this year, review the Jazz 88 New This Week blog.
- Let us know where your list is via the Comments section below or via any of our Social Media Channels (also listed below), preferably using the #TopJazz2014 hashtag,
- We will add the link to this blog, quoting your most pithy observations, and share links to the best, most creative, most insightful, most strange via Jazz 88's social media channels with the #TopJazz2014 hashtag.
Read the entire article
to see A LINK TO YOUR POST, links to lists from those other folks who think they know Jazz ;), and the Jazz 88 Social Media Channels you can share your post at
|HO HO HO! And we've got a WHOLE lot of GREAT NEW HOLIDAY JAZZ added to the Jazz 88 Music Library for December 15, 2014. We'll be debuting it on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, December 15, 2014, 6-8 PM PT!|
- CHRIS BAUER – “IN A YULETIDE GROOVE”
- BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA & TAJ MAHAL – “TALKIN’ CHRISTMAS!”
- JOEY DeFRANCESCO – “HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS”
- MICHAEL FEINSTEIN – “A MICHEL FEINSTEIN CHRISTMAS”
- RENEE FLEMING – “CHRISTMAS IN NEW YORK”
- PETER FURLER – “CHRISTMAS”
- RICK LANG – “THAT’S WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CHRISTMAS”
- TONY LASLEY – “LATIN CHRISTMAS”
- IRVIN MAYFIELD’S JAZZ PLAYHOUSE – “A NEW ORLEANS CREOLE CHRISTMAS”
- RADAM SCHWARTZ – “SWINGIN’ THE HOLIDAYS”
- MARILYN SCOTT – “GET CHRISTMAS STARTED!”
- WAYNE RIKER – “TEN SHADES OF GREEN”
- SOUTHSIDE ACES – “SANTAPHONE”
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – “CHRISTMAS ON MACK AVENUE”
- ANA VELNIOVA – “DECEMBER WISHING”
- VERONNAEU – “SNOW TIME”
- JEFF WISELY – “STRAIGHT SAX CHRISTMAS”
- TOM WOPAT & JOHN SCHNEIDER – “HOME FOR CHRISTMAS”
- PAUL ZAUNER’S CHRISTMAS ALL-STARS – “DWIGHT CHRISTMAS”
Read the entire article for more holiday info on all of these releases, links, and more!
|I may be a little rusty, but the Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library for December 15, 2014 are well oiled and BRING IT! You can hear them all debut on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, December 15, 2014, 6-8 PM PT!|
- DANNY GREEN – “AFTER THE CALM”
- JIMMY GREENE – “BEAUTIFUL LIFE”
- JEFF HAMILTON – “GREAT AMERICAN SONGS”
- BOB LARK & HIS ALUMNI BIG BAND – “SWEET RETURN”
- PETER LEITCH – “LANDSCAPE”
- TINEKE POSTMA / GREG OSBY – “SOUND HALO”
- UPTOWN VOCAL JAZZ QUARTET – “VOCAL MADNESS”
- MARLENE VerPLANCK – “I GIVE UP, I’M IN LOVE”
Read The Entire Article for additional annotations, links, and your chance to SHARE AND COMMENT!
|The great Jazz trombonist, NEA Jazz Master, and Jazz Live San Diego alumni (Sept. 2010) Curtis Fuller is our Artist of the Week starting Monday, December 15, 2014. And we want to kick off the week by wishing a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY CURTIS, on this the 80th anniversary of his birth in Detroit, Michigan! You will be hearing his music, hand-picked by your Jazz 88 hosts all week!|
Joining Curtis in the spotlight this week, on Portrait in Jazz from Noon to 1pm PT each weekday, we are featuring the following artists
Read the entire article
- Monday, 12/15 - Stan Kenton
- Tuesday, 12/16 - Curtis Fuller
- Wednesday 12/17 - Cecil Payne
- Thursday 12/18 - Clark Terry
- Friday 12/19 - Bobby Timmons
for more on these great Jazz artists and your chance to Comment on your favorite tune, album, concert or other remembrance.
|Jazzlamp, a Jazz 88 Partner, presents A Tribute To The Legends of Latin Jazz featuring Gilbert Castellanos, Saturday, December 13, 2014, 7:30 pm. JazzLamp once again brings some of San Diego’s best Jazz musicians to the heart of the Gaslamp district for an evening of musical perfection, this time to inspire you with masterful interpretations in a tribute to Latin Jazz Legends. In addition to Gilbert on trumpet, you can hear Irving Flores piano, Dean Hulett bass, Tommy Aros congas, and Fernando Gomez drums. Tickets can be purchased online for $15 and at the door for $20.|
|The Jazz Education Network (JEN) 6th Annual Conference is coming to San Diego, January 7-10, 2015 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt on San Diego Bay. Over 4 Jam-packed days, YOU can be one of the over 3,000 Jazz Musicians, Educators, Advocates, and Enthusiasts experiencing and learning about breadth of the music you love, JAZZ, in 71 clinics and panel presentations, 36 Research Presentations, the next JENeration of Jazz with the JENerations Student Jazz Festival, 77 concerts including Pancho Sanchez, Bobby Shew, Ann Patterson's Maiden Voyage, and Grammy winner and recently nominated again, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Check out the full, mind-blowing 2015 Conference Clinician and Performer linepup! Oh, and did we mention that Herbie Hancock will be delivering the Keynote Speech on Thursday, January 8, 2015?!|
On a personal note, I attended the 2014 conference in Dallas and was BLOWN AWAY by the how much I learned and experienced in 4 short days...and the future of Jazz looks bright!
for 5 ways you can experience
this unique and one-of-a-kind event!
|The 35th Annual San Diego Jazz Fest, presented by America's Finest City Dixieland Jazz Society (AFCDJS), will be swinging the Town and Country Convention Center Wednesday, November 26 through Sunday, November 30 with over 30 bands and guest artists, 8 venues, double dance floors, hours and hours of great trad, swing, boogie woogie, ragtime and more. Download the event flyer. |
- LISTEN to Inside Art host Dave Drexler previewing the 35th Annual San Diego Jazz Fest.
Read the entire article
for more coverage of the festival
|While it’s good in any case to let your Jazz voice be heard in the JazzTimes Readers Poll 2014...and an entry for a package to the 2015 Portland Jazz Festival ain’t a bad one itself, San Diego Jazz fans have at least 6 more reasons to get their vote in before the polls close at 5 p.m. EST on Monday, November 24. |
Here's the first one...Read The Entire Article to see the rest...or better yet...add a comment and give your suggestion for more San Diegan's to Write In!
1. Holly Hofmann - Best Flutist
Post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+ with the San Diego Jazz hashtag, #SDJazz, and San Diego's Jazz 88.3 will retweet, share, like, and all number of things social with your Jazzy contribution to what should be an awesome evening exhibiting what's GREAT about our San Diego Jazz Scene!
For instance...#SDJazz Twitter Search (may change to @Jazz88 Twitter Feed as we start retweeting and such)....
Read the entire article for #SDJazz embeds, and more about this great band and CD...which you can hear on San Diego's Jazz 88.3!
Embed #SDJazz Facebook Thread
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage