|Art Blakey, an innovator for many styles of music and whose bands gave us several generations of Jazz greats, is the Jazz 88 Artist of the Week starting October 6, 2014. He was born October 11, 1919 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You'll be hearing his music all week at Jazz 88.3. |
Here's our Artist of the Week summary from the Art Blakey Portrait in Jazz that will be featured this week at noon.
Read the entire article
for your chance to leave a comment and for more links and information out our Artist of the Week, Art Blakey!
|LIVE Monday, September 29, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |Read the entire article
for links to the complete list of the New Adds This Week, Top 10 Jazzweek.com Countdown, Recent TNJT Interview Highlights and more!
|One of the first innovators on the bass during the be-bop era, Oscar Pettiford is San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week for the week of September 29, 2014. You'll be hearing his music all week at Jazz 88.3 and he will be the feature during the Noon PT Portrait in Jazz feature on the 92nd Anniversary of his birth in Okmulgee, OK, September 30, 1922. He passed away at the age of 37 in Copenhagen, Denmark on September 8, 1960. |
Read the entire article for more information on the great innovator in Jazz and leave your comment about Oscar Pettiford.
This week's Adds to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library look to be loaded with female vocalists (6 out of 12 releases), but there are also some interesting instrumentation with releases bass clarinet, guitar and harmonica, and even a new set featuring San Diegan's in an adventurously-timed outing. And YOU can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 29 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! ! (UPDATE: Hear the Jazz 88 Speakeasy replay of the 9/29/14 TNJT to hear all of these New Jazz Things!)
- LARRY CORBAN & THE APERTURISTIC TRIO – “THE CORBANATOR”
- EAST SIDE – “ASTORIA”
- JULIE KELLY – “HAPPY TO BE”
- KRONOMORFIC /DAVID BORGO & PAUL PELLEGRIN – “ENTANGLED”
- GINA KRONSTADT – “WALK MY WAY”
- RANEE LEE – “WHAT’S GOING ON”
- CARMEN LUNDY- “SOUL TO SOUL”
- SHELLEY NEILL – “THE CURRENCY IS HEAT”
- KELLEY SUTTENFIELD – “AMONG THE STARS”
- KEN THOMSON AND SLOW/FAST – “SETTLE”
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – “SALSA DE LA BAHIA, VOL.2: HOY Y AYER”
- ERIC WYATT – “BOROUGH OF KINGS”
Read the entire article
for your additional annotations about this week's New and your chance to Comment on New Jazz!
A great mix of New Adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library for the week of September 22, 2014 with some standout collaborations including Otis Brown III with Robert Glasper, Gretchen Parlato, and others ("The Thought of You"); Michael Blake with Frank Kimbrough and Ben Allison ("Tiddy Boom"); and Jazz Educator extraordinaire Dave Liebman and his Big Band ("Tribute to Wayne Shorter")! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 22, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! !
- MICHAEL BLAKE – “TIDDY BOOM” (Sunnyside)
- OTIS BROWN III – “THE THOUGHT OF YOU” (Blue Note)
- MASON EMBRY TRIO – “SWINGIN’ ON A STAR” (Burton Avenue)
- HUSH POINT – “BLUES AND REDS” (Sunnyside)
- RYAN KEBERLE & CATHARSIS – “INTO THE ZONE” (Greenleaf)
- TONY KOENIGSBERG TRIO – “DRIFT” (NinJazz)
- NICK LEVINOVSKY – “SPECIAL OPINION” (Butman Music)
- DAVE LIEBMAN BIG BAND “TRIBUTE TO WAYNE SHORTER”(Mama)
- ROD McGAHA – “THE BLACK FLOWER PROJECT” (Self-released)
- MARC POMPE – “MONK’S DREAM” (Self-released)
- KENNY RAMPTON – “MOON OVER BABYLON” (Self-released)
- ERIC REED – “GROOVEWISE” (Smoke Sessions)
- MATTHEW SHIPP – ‘I’VE BEEN TO MANY PLACES” (Thirsty Ear)
- JOHN WEBBER QUARTET – “DOWN FOR THE COUNT” (Cellar Live)
- EZRA WEISS SEXTET – “BEFORE YOU KNOW IT” (Roark)
- TOM WOLFE – “SOLEROVESCENT” (Summit)
|One of the true swingers on the saxophone, Frank Foster (B 9/23/1928, D 7/26/2011) is the Artist of the Week at San Diego's Jazz 88.3 for the week of September 22, 2014. Here's our AOW version of the Portrait In Jazz show that will be be airing on Wednesday, September 23, the 86th anniversary of his birth in 1928.|
You'll be hearing the music of Frank Foster all week on Jazz 88.3. Continue Reading the full article
for links and other information about this great Jazz artist!
It's a great batch of NEW Adds to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library for the week of September 14, 2014, including the latest from Jazz Live San Diego alum's Andy Bey (1/8/2008) and Sammy Figueroa (?) and our upcoming November 18, 2014 Jazz Live San Diego guest Hal Galper! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 15, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! (Update: Hear all the new as played on TNJT 9/15/14)!
- BEAT FUNKTION – “MANDY’S SECRET” (Do Music)
- ANDY BEY – “PAGES FROM AN IMAGINARY LIFE” (Savant)
- DEE DANIELS – “INTIMATE CONVERSATIONS” (Origin)
- SAMMY FIGUEROA & GLAUCIA NASSER – “TALISMAN” (Savant)
- “LARRY FULLER” (Capri)
- HAL GALPER TRIO – “O’s TIME” (Origin)
- GERRY GIBBS THRASHER DREAM TRIO – “WE’RE BACK” (WCS)
- CHARLES LLOYD – “MANHATTAN STORIES” (Resonance)
- HAFEZ MODIRZADEH – “IN CONVERGANCE LIBERATION” (PI)
- ALEX MERCADO TRIO – “SYMBIOSIS” (Conaculta/Fonca)
- JASON MORAN – “ALL RISE: A Joyful Elegy For Fats Waller” (Blue Note)
- JOHN DAVID SIMON – “PHANTASM” (WarmGroove)
- TIERNEY SUTTON – “PARIS SESSIONS” (BFM)
- TRIO 3 & VIJAY IYER – “WIRING” (Intakt)
- CHRIS WALDEN BIG BAND – “FULL-ON!” (Origin)
Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
|LIVE Monday, September 15, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
Jazz 88 Playlist Archive for Monday, September 15, 2014
(scroll to 6-8 PM PT to see entire show playlist or check out the screenshot below)
Read the Entire Article
for Jazz 88 Speakeasy Audio of the Entire Show and Marcia Ball Interview, Top 10 Countdown replay, Links to New Adds to the Jazz 88 Library, and more!
|Brother Jack McDuff is San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week starting September 15, 2014. AllMusic.com's Ron Wynn calls McDuff "A marvelous bandleader and organist as well as capable arranger..." and about the work on his instrument "...one of the funkiest, most soulful styles of all time on the Hammond B-3." Here's our AOW version of the Portrait In Jazz show that will be be airing on Wednesday, September 17, the 88th anniversary of his birth in 1926.|
Tune into Jazz 88.3 and Jazz88.org all week as our hosts play the music of this versatile artist. Read the entire article for more facts about Brother Jack and your chance to comment on your favorite tunes...
A fantastic night of Jazz Live San Diego with Jeffrey Joe Morin with Trio Los Besos, Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys, and all in honor of the diamond birthday of Jazz 88.3's host of Jazz Roots, Lou Curtiss...
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): Jazz Live San Diego (Entire Show), Tuesday, September 9, 2014
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Janet Klein Jazz Live San Diego Interview, Tuesday, September 9, 2014\
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Jazz Live San Diego Preview - Joshua Breakstone - Tuesday, October 14, 2014 ()
- AllMusic.com Biography of Joshua Breakstone by Scott Yanow
- AllAboutJazz.com Review of 2014 With The Wind and The Rain: "Loaded with creative solos, improvisational twists, an excellent selection of music and a lively augmented string-based instrumentation, the With the Wind and the Rain reveals a masterful performance from Joshua Breakstone and crew, and challenges the normal definition of the standard rhythm section.
Student Delivered Sound
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE