- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): Tiffany Jane and The Kicks "Discovery" Interview (14:43)
- Tiffany Jane and The Kicks - We'll get introduced to this 2014 San Diego Music Award Best Jazz Nominee with some music from their recently released disc "Discovery" and a chat with members of the band. We'll be chatting in Hour 1!
Read the full article for Top 10 Countdown links/video, Full list of NEW Adds @Jazz88 8/25/14, Coming up on TNJT, more!
You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, August 25, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)!
- AFRO BOP ALLIANCE – “ANGEL EYES”
- AKIKO – “COMMENCEMENT”
- PAUL CARR – “B3 SESSIONS (CD-NY)”
- KEVIN CLINE – “MAKE UP YOUR MIND”
- MICHAEL DEASE – “RELENTLESS”
- BEBE GILBERTO – “TUDO”
- JOSEPH LUNA – “EPICENTER”
- MACK AVENUE SUPER BAND – “LIVE FROM THE DETROIT JAZZ FESTIVAL-2013”
- DAWAN MUHAMMED – “PREACHIN’ TO THE CHOIR”
- JANE POTTER TRIO – “NOW I KNOW”
- “RITMOS UNIDOS”
- MITCH SHINER AND THE BLOOMING TONES BIG BAND – “FLY!”
- DARA TUCKER – “THE SUN SEASON”
- ANA VELINOVA – “THE THIEF”
- FRANK WALTON/YORON ISRAEL SEXTET – “LIVE IN CHICAGO”
|LIVE Monday, August 18, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
Tonight on the show, we chatted with the #2 artist in Jazz this week and the new Chair of the Brass Department at the Berklee College of Music, Sean Jones, and members of San Diego's Pocket who picked up a 2014 San Diego Music Award nomination for their new release "The Stick Bag". Jeff and Andy also helped me out with the Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek Jazz Album chart, we played and gave away loads of great New Jazz Music too! Read the entire article for links to audio archives of the show and interviews, links to everything that was New This Week, and more! Here's tonight's playlist just to tempt you a bit...click the link down there!
Quanity AND Quality in this LARGE list of Adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library the weeks of August 11 and 18 2014. Walton, Longo, Dr. John, Harrell...some of the biggest names in Jazz...all have new releases out...and that's only a small part of the New Jazz being made and released this week...JAZZ LIVES and THRIVES! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, August 18, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (Update: LISTEN to the Jazz 88 Speakeasy archive of the show)!
Adds For August 18, 2014
- DENNIS ANGEL – “ON TRACK”
- MICHAEL CARVIN EXPERIENCE – “FLASH FORWARD”
- DR. JOHN – “SKE-DAT-DE-DAT: THE SPIRIT OF SATCH”
- KIKI EBSEN- “SCARECROW SESSIONS”
- YELENA ECKEMOFF – “A TOUCH OF RADIANCE”
- MARK ELF – “RETURNS 2014”
- ORRIN EVANS – “LIBERATION BLUES”
- TOM HARRELL – “TRIP”
- NANCY KELLY – “B THAT WAY”
- MIKE LONGO TRIO – “CELEBRATES OSCAR PETERSON: LIVE”
- DIANE MONROE/TONY MICELI – “ALONE TOGETHER”
- ENRICO PIERANUNZI – “STORIES”
- JEFF RICHMAN & WAYNE JOHNSON – “THE DISTANCE”
- SOMI – “THE LAGOS MUSIC SALON”
- “TRES COMPADRES”
- DAVID ULLMANN 8 – “CORDUROY”
- CEDAR WALTON – “RELIVING THE MOMENT”
- J.J.WRIGHT – “INWARD LOOKING OUTWARD”
Adds To August 11, 2014
- WAYNE CONIGLIO / SCOTT WHITFIELD – “FAST FRIENDS”
- THE COOKERS – “TIME AND TIME AGAIN”
- DMITRY MATHENY – “SAGEBRUSH REBELLION”
- JAE SINNETT – “SUBJECT TO CHANGE”
- “ANDREAS VARADY”
- WALTER WHITE – “MOST TRIUMPHANT”
Read the full article for additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New...
|The Jazz Education Network (JEN) will be holding it's 6th Annual Conference in San Diego, January 7-10, 2015 at the Hyatt Grand Manchester Hotel and they would love the San Diego Jazz Community to be involved from the get-go! They are inviting all Jazz Loving, Living, and Educating San Diegans to a Community Planning meeting this Thursday August 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM at San Diego Hyatt Grand Manchester Hotel, Deluxe Hospitality Suite 560 (5th Floor Seaport Tower). If you'd like to be involved in conference Outreach, Volunteers, Promotion and Support (specifically in the areas of Production and Sponsorships)...or just find out more about the conference...then join me in attending and making this THE BEST JAZZ CONFERENCE SAN DIEGO HAS EVER SEEN!|
Continue reading for the complete invitation from JEN President Bob Sinicrope and more details...and make plans to help plan!
The Hot Club of Detroit bring their own unique flavor to Gypsy Jazz at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, August 5, 2014 LIVE from the Saville Theatre on the San Diego City College campus.
Read the rest of the post
for links to the Jazz 88 Speakeasy archives of the Entire Jazz Live performance, an interview with Hot Club of Detroit founder Evan Perri, and a preview of our September 9, 2014 Jazz Live San Diego with Janet Klein and Jeffrey Joe Moran in celebration of the birthday of Jazz 88's Jazz Roots Host Lou Curtiss, in addition to picture from the show, video of the interview and soundcheck, and more!
|I have the honor this week of hosting The Jazz Morning Drive, Monday through Wednesday, and took advantage of an opportunity to play an extended cut of "Flying Home" from Lionel Hampton with The Just Jazz All Stars, which was recorded 67 years ago on this day, at the same concert that created the more well-known, and critically acclaimed "Stardust" (a fact that is mentioned on the Jazz 88 Home Page today under our "On This Day In Jazz History" feature). The tune I played was a rollicking swinger and I have to share a couple of emails sent to VinceO@Jazz88.org about that very tune...|
Bill was energized enough to put out a little coin...
"Wow! That Flyin home @ 6:58 knocked my sox off. Best stuff I've heard since I lost my JATP LPs. Buying the one you played ASAP. Those guys really cooked. Haven't heard Slam Stewart in ages.
And Richard shared a great story about another version of "Flying Home"...
Great comments, Bill and Richard!
"You don’t know me, but I’m as regular listener in the mornings and a happy to have you spinning for a spell. I’m a native Chicagoan an former vibist, who ran an audio recording facility there in the late 70s. I left home for here in ’92. Andy’s was my regular hang back on the block. That’s where rush hour jazz originated a different regular band every evening from 5-8.
Thursdays was the Hubbard Street Swingers with John Young, Barrett Deems and Truck Parham on bass; two tenors, Johnny Board, who replaced Jacquet in Hamp’s band, and Eddie Johnson from Louis Jordan’s band, Don de Michael, the Downbeat columnist, on vibes, replaced by Willbur Campbell after Don’s demise. Wilbur was the very best bebop drummer in town, and the great Jo Belle on vocals .
They ended their second set with a rousing version of Flyin’ Home with Board duplicating Jacquet’s solo note for note, and everyone stood and cheered at the coda."
You can provide feedback to any hosts
via email (most are listed on the Jazz 88 Staff
page), Tweet something @Jazz88
, or post to the Jazz 88 Facebook
page. We really like hearing back from you!!
|LIVE Monday, August 4, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- BE PART OF THE SHOW! Follow TNJT on Twitter, LikeThe New Jazz Thing on Facebook, and share something about The New @Jazz88 with the #TNJT or #Jazz88 hashtags! We may even be able to mention your name and comment during the Live show and you'll be part of the Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive!
Coming up on the show....
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, August 4, 2014 (1:58:51)
- Jazz 88 Playlist Archive Monday, August 4, 2014 (scroll to 6-8PM for tonight's playist...or check out the screenshot below)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Yve Evans Idyllwild Jazz In The Pines Interview, Monday, August 4, 2014 (10:55)
- 6:50 PM PT - Yve Evans has performed worldwide bringing her audiences on a musical journey while either at the helm playing the piano or with her strong melodic voice. There is an intangible quality in her music that gives it a life of its own; life that reaches out and touches the souls of the people that hear it. Yve won the Dixieland Monterey’s Jazz Musician of the Year Award in 2008 and the Great Ladies of Jazz Award at the Sun Valley Jazz Jamboree in 2004.
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Evan Christopher Idyllwild Jazz In The Pines Interview, Monday, August 4, 2014 (14:45)
- 7:20 PM PT - Evan Christophercombines virtuosity, immaculate taste, and enthusiasm with a commitment to exploring the full range of possibilities in the New Orleans clarinet tradition. His highly personal brand of "contemporary early-jazz" strives to extend the legacies of early Creole clarinetists such as Sidney Bechet, Omer Simeon, and Barney Bigard. Critics remarking on Christopher's dynamic expressiveness have coined his style "close-encounter music" (NEW YORK TIMES) and have called his respect for the music traditions of New Orleans, "a triumph, joining the present seamlessly to a glorious past." (THE OBSERVER, UK). He plays with a sextet which includes recent Jazz Live San Diego artist Henry "Skipper" Franklin on Saturday of the 2 day Idyllwild Jazz In The Pines Festival, August 16-17, 2014.
After the split, your chance to make a request, give some feedback, check out links to New Adds @Jazz88 / Jazzweek Jazz Chart, Previous TNJT Highlight Interviews, TNJT Calendar, and more...so READ ON!!
Jazzy Joni, edgy guitar-sax-piano, tributes to Ella and George Duke (by Al Jarreau!), trios, septets, big band, and even a Sleek Buick thrown in the mix...there's a bit of something for everyone in the new Jazz music being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of August 4, 2014! You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, August 4, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT!
The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
- LAURIE ANTONIOLI – “SONGS OF SHADOW, SONGS OF LIGHT”
- ANDRES BOIARSKY – “CROSSTALK”
- BOBBY BROOM – “MY SHINING HOUR”
- BT3 – “BURN IT! LIVE”
- SYDNEY CLAIRE – “ALL ELLA”
- COLLIER & DEAN – “SLEEK BUICK”
- AL JARREAU – “MY OLD FRIEND: CELEBRATING GEORGE DUKE”
- TONY KADLECK BIG BAND – “AROUND THE HORN”
- GORDON LEE WITH THE MEL BROWN SEPTET – “TUESDAY NIGHT”
- GREG REITAN – “POST NO BILLS”
- TAD WEED – “THE TRACK HOUSE SESSIONS”
|LIVE Monday, July 28, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |On Tonight's show
, we chat with multi-award winning Jazz pianist Fred Hersch
about his new release floating, touching on his thoughts on what he feels is one of his best releases, his work with his trio, how he composes tunes in honor of people (and dogs!) in his life, his thoughts on standards, and where he's heading in the future. We also chat with LA guitarist Andy Waddell
about his new release "Alive" and his August 1, 2014 CD release gig at Dizzy's San Diego. The Top 10 Countdown, with video archive, all of the new adds to the Jazz 88 music library, along with reviews and quotes, previously on TNJT, what's coming up next, and more!
After the split, along with your chance to comment on the show, is the Jazz 88 Speakeasy audio archives of the entire show and interviews, Top 10 Countdown video and links, tonight's playlist, and more, so Read The Full Article already!
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE