The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
|Here's what we've got for The New Jazz Thing on Monday, August 20, 2012 6-8 PM PT...|
- 2012-08-20 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Dig the great NEW discs this week from Basile (bari-sax!), Duke music (tribute, that is), drum-man extraordinaire Sinnett, sweet sounding (and too-little recording) Luciana Souza tributing Chet Baker, and last week's TNJT guest (scroll down to hear the interview online) Brian Bromberg gets further fuzzy...plus more!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart August 20, 2012: Curtis Fuller at the top 3 weeks running!
- Brian Bromberg has that third New disc out, Bromberg Plays Hendrix, and he talked about it LAST WEEK on THE NEW JAZZ THING! (scroll down and click Brian's name to hear the interview).
|Here's what I'm working on for The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, 6-8PM PT, Monday, August 13, 2012 on Jazz 88.3 FM, with Webcast at http://Jazz88.org and smartphone apps for iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android (that's quite a description!). |
- UPDATE 5:5PM PT: Mike Wofford, San Diego Music Award Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient LIVE....BEFORE HE GETS THE AWARD! Listen in around 6:40 PM PT as we find him somewhere in the vicinity of his award. Thanks Holly!!
- Nominees...Claudia is playing them on The Jazz Ride Home!
- Best Jazz
- Erika Davies
- Gilbert Castellanos
- Ian Tordella
- Mattson 2
- Rob Thorsen
- Steph Johnson
- Peter Sprague
- The Trunks
- Artist of the Year
- Gilbert Castellanos
- Little Hurricane
- Sara Watkins
- Slightly Stoopid
- The Silent Comedy
- Unwritten Law
- Best Jazz Album
- Gregory Page - Shine Shine Shine
- Ian Tordella- Tragic Comedy
- Leonard Patton- Expressions
- Montalban Quintet- Self Titled
- Nena Anderson- Beyond The Lights
- Kevyn Lettau- Drawn to You
- Mike Wofford & Holly Hofmann Quartet- Turn Signal
- Teagan Taylor- Wonderland
- Brian Bromberg (beware of the instant-on music, can't find the MUTE button!): prolific bassist has 2 New disc out right now, so we'll be dipping into both "Compared To That" and "In The Spirit of Jobim" and chatting with Brian LIVE on the ringer.
- Michael Oletta reminds us: "... Bromberg's SD connection at Elarios Jazz club/ restaurant in the late 70's early 80's. He played with Joe marillo several night a week!"
- 2012-08-13 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Lots of great New Jazz Music being made including original compositions (Marquis Hill, Fast Citizens), covers of Lennon tunes (Ochipinti), Brazilian (Ben-Hur / Debriano collab), vocals (Sylvia Brooks), progressive large ensemble (Josh Berman), Organ Monk (YEA!)...and an appearance by San Diego's own Gilbert Castellanos (Donald Vega).
- San Diego Music Awards begin right at 6PM tonight, so we'll be monitoring to see if the Jazz awards get announced before TNJT is done.
- Jazzweek Jazz Chart August 13, 2012: Curtis Fuller at the tops 2nd week running, TNJT guest Brian Bromberg at #5 with "Compared To That"!
|Here's what we get into on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw (http://Jazz88.org/thenewjazzthing), Monday, July 30, 2012, 6-8 PM PT...|
- Dr. Gregg Akkerman live in studio (between 6:40 and 7 PM PT) chatting about his new book "The Last Balladeer: The Johnny Hartman Story" and his Tuesday, July 31, 2012 signing at Twiggs Green Room.
- Felipe Benevides-guitar and Jay Reilly-acoustic bass of local band The Red Fox Tails will be in studio at 7:20 PM PT chatting about their new disc "Aloha" and a date at Bar Pink on Tuesday, July 31.
- 2012-07-30 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: New discs this week from some Old hands in the Jazz scene, including John Abercrombie, Marcus Miller, and Avery Sharpe, a double disc from trumpet searcher Christian Scott, the second New Brian Bromberg disc in 2 months, and lots more!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart for Monday, July 30, 2012: We'll roll through the Top 10, which includes a New #1 this week!
- Last week's interview with vocalist Sara Gazarek is up at http://Jazz88.org/TheNewJazzThing. Really enjoyed her show at Anthology last week.
Vocalist Sara Gazarek
chats LIVE about her new 2012 release "Blossom and Bee", her July 26, 2012 performance at Anthology SD, and more on The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw
, Monday, July 23, 2012, 6-8 PM PT! Just to tempt you...hehe...Dan Bilawsky in AllAboutJazz.com says: "While it's a bit clichéd to say that a collection of songs can make you fall in love with a singer, the shoe fits here. Gazarek balances fancy free notions, effervescence, carefree whims, fragile emotions, precocious pondering and humor in her work, making this a highly attractive outing as a whole."
Not bad ;)
|Among all the great New Jazz Music we'll be debuting on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, July 16, 2012, Jazz guitarist and vocalist John Pizzarelli will be chatting with us in Hour 2 of The New about is New release "Double Exposure" and a July 22, 2012 appearance at the Grand Del Mar. We'll also take a look at the Jazzweek.com Jazz Charts, the Hot Hits on the Jazz 88 Speakeasy, and More! Details after the split...|
|Forget When The New Jazz Thing is? Shame on you!! Did you hear something on TNJT and want to get back to it? THANK YOU! I maintain a calendar of all TNJT shows to give yourself a reminder each week AND and an easy link to each week's blog post with the TNJT Playlist Archive, New Jazz 88 Library adds...with reviews, quotes, and links, Top 10 Countdown, Jazz News and More!|
Continue reading for the up-to-date calendar and your chance to comment, make a quest request, post to Facebook...
- Info and Links to Previous Show Blog Posts: Scroll back the calendar and Find Earlier Events. Or visit the TNJT Blog @Jazz88.
|Tonight on the show....|
- 2012-07-09 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library:
The new adds this week into the Jazz 88 Music Library include a couple of tribute bands (Ellington Legacy, Spectrum Road tribute to Tony Williams), guitars (Dave Styker with Kevin Mahogany, Grant Geissman, local San Diego slinger Nate Jarrell's newest...busy dude!), Latin Jazz (Miguel Zenon's latest), and lots more!
- Marcus Rosario, Jazz88 Social Media Director and World Music DJ: He hits and will blog the Latin Alternative Music Conference in NYC this weekend and gives us a preview! He'll be blogging on the JAzz 88 Blog at http://Jazz88.org/blog (among other places)...Subscribe / Like / Follow!!!!
- Jazz Live with Mark Winkler TOMORROW NIGHT!
- Jazz Week Jazz Chart Top 10: Played Al Jarreau AND Eric Reed from the Top 10 tonight
|UPDATE: Interviews Online! In addition to debuting the New Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library this week, I will be chatting with pianist Eric Reed about his new disc "The Baddest Monk" (#3 Jazzweek Charts 6/25/12) and pianist Anne Sajdera (who grew up in San Diego) about her new release "Azul", checking out the newly revamped Jazzweek Jazz Charts of the tops in Jazz Radio Airplay, and our usual review of what's happening in the world of Jazz News!|
Information about Eric and Anne, along with links mentioned during the show after the jump...
|Coming down from The Bowl...the Hollywood Bowl and The Playboy Jazz Festival 2012, so we'll be chatting about that some, posting some pictures, talking Jazz, and digging lots of NEW on the show tonight...|
- 2012-06-18 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Lots of great New as usual!
- Talking 2012 Playboy Jazz Festival: Pat Metheny's new one added this week has Ben Williams playing bass...he played with Christian McBride Big Band who did a tribute to Bill Cosby (his last year, after 30+, hosting PBJF)...although I don't think he played on this tune (so tenuous connection to The New this week!)...LA Times Article Recap with Ben Williams, Cosby, Lionel Loueke and more.
- Jazz Musician Money Making: Of the many findings, " 1. Jazz musicians have more formal education than most musicians, play many different roles, and have simpler support teams than musicians in other genres." Smarter, Diverse, and Innovative!!
- Jazzweek.com Jazz Chart June 18 2012: Arturo's New One at #1, Eric Reed's new Monk disc (TNJT interview?) most added...should be in Top 10 next week, PBJF 2012 The Cookers band "Believe" at #15, and lots of other stories. Going to one big Top 10 list this week, with a tune from it somewhere in there...
- more previously linked to and you can get it by Following @TNJT on Twitter, Like http://Facebook.com/TheNewJazzThing
- Tonight's set list (from the 6/18/12 Playlist Archive):
|7 PM Hour, June 18, 2012|
| ||7:55 PM||John Beasley, 3 Brave Souls, Darryl Jones, Ndugu Chancler||“Nail it Down” — 3 Brave Souls|
| ||7:48 PM||Guillermo Klein||“Niños” — Carrera|
| ||7:43 PM||Ralph Bowen||“Hip Check” — Total Eclipse|
| ||7:31 PM||Ralph Peterson Fo'tet And Sextet||“You Have Know Idea” — The Duality Perspective|
| ||7:24 PM||Brian Bromberg||“Hayride” — Compared to That|
| ||7:14 PM||Kelly Powers Project||“Suckerpunch” — Kelly Powers Project|
| ||7:10 PM||Uptown Vocal Jazz Quartet||“He Was The Cat (A Tribute To Eddie Jefferson)” — Hustlin For A Gig|
| ||7:01 PM||Brandon Wright||“Wonderwall” — Journeyman|
|6 PM Hour, June 18, 2012|
| ||6:54 PM||Mike Allen Quartet||“Give Me Moon” — A Hip Cosmos|
| ||6:46 PM||Oscar Peñas||“Samuel Smith” — From Now On|
| ||6:35 PM||Towner Galaher||“Shuffleocity” — Uptown!|
| ||6:27 PM||Pat Metheny||“New Year” — Unity Band|
| ||6:13 PM||Nick Vayenas||“M.O.” — Nick Vayenas|
| ||6:09 PM||Peter Appleyard||“Love For Sale (Featuring Jill Barber)” — Sophisticated Ladies|
| ||6:01 PM||Cory Weeds||“Up A Step” — Up A Step|
|On The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw, Monday, June 11, 2012 6-8 PM PT...|
- Steph Johnson chatting with us and playing LIVE IN STUDIO around 7:20 PM PT. She's got a new disc coming out and a gig Thursday, June 14 at Tango Del Ray, so we'll talk about that and a whole lot more!
- 2012-06-11 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library -
a great set of NEW this week including Jazz Live San Diego alum Joe Chambers, Sara Gazarek, Al Jarreau, Mintzer Big Band, Eric Reed (doing Monk!), Mike Stern, and a trombone duo...YES!
- Preview of Playboy Jazz Festival 2012 coming up this Saturday and Sunday, June 16-17, 2012 at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the premier music events in the So Cal calendar and TNJT has featured interviews with performers Terri Lyne Carrington, Gretchen Parlato, Carmen Lundy, David Weiss (The Cookers).
- Here's the playlist for tonight's festivities...
|7 PM Hour, June 11, 2012|
| ||7:55 PM||Bob Mintzer Big Band||“Aha” — For The Moment|
| ||7:46 PM||TromBari||“Diva” — Devil's Hopyard|
| ||7:39 PM||Steph Johnson||“The Man I Love” — Live On The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw|
| ||7:34 PM||Steph Johnson||“Interview Part 2” — The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw|
| ||7:30 PM||Steph Johnson||“Chocolate” — Live On The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw|
| ||7:24 PM||Steph Johnson||“Interview Part 1” — The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw|
| ||7:20 PM||Steph Johnson||“Anything Goes” — Live On The New Jazz Thing with Vince Outlaw|
| ||7:14 PM||Johannes Mössinger||“Splanshy Squeeze” — The New Jersey Session|
| ||7:10 PM||Sylvia Herold and the Rhythm Bugs||“Mohair Sam” — The Spider and the Fly|
| ||7:07 PM||Sara Gazarek||“Everything I've Got” — Blossom & Bee|
| ||7:00 PM||Eric Reed||“Epistrophy” — The Baddest Monk|
|6 PM Hour, June 11, 2012|
| ||6:52 PM||Joe Chambers||“Power To The People” — Joe Chambers Moving Pictures Orchestra|
| ||6:43 PM||The Cookers||“Believe, For It Is True” — Believe|
| ||6:31 PM||Bobby Streng's House Big Band||“Streng Theory” — Getting Housed, Live|
| ||6:24 PM||Rick Davies||“Bembe Swing” — Salsa Norteña|
| ||6:13 PM||Matt Garrison||“Mom's Song” — Blood Songs|
| ||6:08 PM||Al Jarreau||“Cold Duck” — Al Jarreau and the Metropole Orkest - Live [Live From Theater aan de Parade, Den Bosch, Netherlands/2011]|
| ||6:01 PM||Roberto Magris Quintet||“Hocus Pocus” — Morgan Rewind: A Tribute To Lee Morgan||
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE