Milt Jackson Artist of the Week - Portrait in Jazz Schedule - December 29 2014
|Milt Jackson is our Artist of the Week for this last week of 2014, December 29, 2014, and, appropriately, the first days of 2015. You will hear the music of one of the greatest Jazz vibraphonist ever all week on San Diego's Jazz 88.3 and Jazz88.org, in addition to a new Portrait in Jazz featuring a different Jazz artist each weekday between Noon and 1 PM PT...with this Wednesday, December 31, 2014...New Year's Eve...being a special day when we will be playing, in their entirety, the Top 10 Jazz Releases of 2014 from 10AM to 9PM. |
Here's a preview of this Thursday's Portrait in Jazz feature of Milt Jackson from the San Diego's Jazz 88.3 YouTube channel
READ THE FULL ARTICLE
for additional info on our Artist of the Week, the daily schedule for Portrait in Jazz features, and a place for your Comment on your favorite Milt Jackson, MJQ, and PIJ artist.
Born on January 1, 1923 in Detroit, Michigan, Milt Jackson went on to a career that included 40 years with the Modern Jazz Quartet (MJQ...just like the initials of the group's first name, the Milt Jackson Quartet) and a unique sound on the vibraphone that came partially from his technical adjustments to the instrument (slowing down the vibrato) and his special feel for the blues. More on Milt...
- AllMusic.com - Milt Jackson: "Jackson (or "Bags" as he was long called) was at the top of his field for 50 years, playing bop, blues, and ballads with equal skill and sensitivity." (Scott Yanow)
- Wikipedia - Milt Jackson: "Jackson was discovered by Dizzy Gillespie, who hired him for his sextet in 1946 and also kept him for larger ensembles. Jackson quickly acquired experience working with the most important figures in jazz of the era, including Woody Herman, Howard McGhee, Thelonious Monk, and Charlie Parker."
- Milt Jackson, 76, Jazz Vibraphonist, Dies (Ben Ratliff's, October 17, 1999, NYTimes Obit): "All the best jazz musicians know how to take their time, and Mr. Jackson was no different."
Milt will be featured as one of the daily Portrait In Jazz specials during the week (on his NEW YEAR DAY BIRTHDAY!), which will be interrupted by our special Wednesday, New Year's Eve, December 31, 2014 10AM to 9PM countdown of the Top 10 Jazz Releases for 2014, played in their entirety. Here's the full PIJ schedule for the week:
- Monday, 12/29/14 - Walter Norris
- Tuesday, 12/30/14 - Earl "Fatha" Hines
- Wednesday, 12/3114 - New Year's Even Top 10 Album Countdown, 10AM to 9PM
- Thursday, 1/1/15 - Milt Jackson (Artist of the Week...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)
- Friday, 1/2/15 - James Carter
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE