Donate your used vehicle to Jazz 88.3 because it's the best result from a kind act AND it is truly one of the most reliable revenue sources we have. Call 1-888- JAZZ-CAR (1-888-529-9227).
San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM - KSDS
“America's Finest Jazz & Blues from America's Finest City”
New Program Series: Jazz Across America
The San Diego Community College District and City College is committed to supporting The San Diego Promise, an initiative that allows local students to attend City College for FREE.
Recently Played Albums
Billy VeraChad FoxClaudia RussellDave DrexlerGary BeckGordon GoodwinJim GallertJudy CarmichaelKenny WashingtonLarry MurryLoren SchoenbergMiff MoleNeil TesserRoderick-The Rev, PaulinRon DhanifuSam WismanSan Diego's Jazz 88.3Will Friedwald
Born on this day, August 8th…
- Benny Carter (Saxophone) was born in New York in 1907.
- Urbie Green (Trombone) was born in Mobil, AL in 1926.
- Jimmy Witherspoon (Vocals-Lead) was born in Gurdon, Arkansas in 1923.
- Lucky Millinder (Band Leader, Vocals) was born in Anniston, AL in 1900.
- Don Burrows (Clarinet) was born in 1928.
- Rupert Cole (Alto Saxophone, Clarinet) was born in 1909.
- Vinnie Dean (Alto Saxophone, Piccolo, Clarinet) was born in 1929.
- Charlie Gaines (Trumpet) was born in 1900.
- Knocky Parker (Piano) was born in Palmer, TX in 1918.
On This Day
August 8th in Jazz History…
- Capitol Records was formed in 1942 by nine artists at a cost of $10,000. By 1948 it had grossed $16 million.
- "Swing Out" was recorded by Erskine Hawkins and his orchestra for Bluebird Records in 1939.
- Lee Morgan recorded "dee-lightful-lee," cuts 5-10, in New York City in 1966 for Blue Note.
- And, on a sad note, "King" Oliver dies in poverty at the age of 52 in Savannah, Georgia in 1938.