March 27, 2014
|Welcome to Progressive Nights, the dynamic programming direction in the late post meridian zone on Jazz 88.3 and jazz88.org. It seems like everyone is running from anything even vaguely approaching modern or avant garde...or Jazz, for that matter. Meanwhile, Jazz 88.3 is actually committing space and energy to current and historical developments in Modern Jazz Music. Monday through Thursday nights, 10pm to midnight. Progressive Nights.|
This is Miff Mole and I'm going to real time bullet list my show for 3/27/14. Not everything, but enough to get a feel for what's going on.
- Right now it's 9:47pm, Barry is playing The Rich and The Poor by Keith Jarrett. It is definitely setting a mood in my music brain program list.
- Opened with guitarist Joel Harrison's String Choir, music by, or inspired by, Paul Motian. (footnote: two things at once ain't easy)
- Bassist Keith Witty and drummer Damion Reid are a molten flow for the Jonathan Finlayson piece "Circus."
- Omission of detail does not reflect any particular agenda or preference. Voice activated blog would be great until the on-air mic is mistakenly cued by the operator and comedy ensues.
- Michael Formanek and Jim Black were dangerous on "Thin Skin/Dangerous Crustaceans."
- "Voices" from Bill Dixon's Intents And Purposes is familiar and provocative at the same time. The focus and execution is staggering, but that's what creative music does. (footnote: something else that ain't easy)
- Listen to the show at The Speakeasy. It will be there by Sunday.
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE
Copyright © 2018 KSDS
KSDS Jazz 88.3 is a non-profit 501c3 organization, a part of the San Diego City College District.
is a service of NetChain Communications, Inc.