New Jazz Music being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 14, 2014 includes several past and future Jazz Live San Diego artists (Henry Butler 4/2011, Matt Falker 6/24/14
, Barbara Morrison...next Jazz Live 7/22/14...hear the preview
!) plus the latest from San Diego band Pocket and an Los Angeles-based Jazz guitarist that will be featured on The New Jazz Thing on 8/8/14 and performing in San Diego on 8/1, Andy Waddell. Oh...and new music from the great Cyrus Chestnut too!!
- ROY ASSAF TRIO – “SECOND ROW BEHIND THE PAINTER”
- AL BASILE – “SWING n’ STRINGS
- HENRY BUTLER-STEVEN BERNSTEIN AND THE HOT 9 – “VIPER’S DRAG”
- CYRUS CHESTNUT – “MIDNIGHT MELODIES”
- MATT FALKER – “PLAYPEN”
- BARBARA MORRISON – “I LOVE YOU, YES I DO”
- POCKET – “THE STICK BAG”
- ANDY WADDELL – “ALIVE”
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 14, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
|Missed the live blog on Thursday night, went camping, came back to World Cup final. Exhausted of every bit of concentration but there are still highlights that shine through.|
- More research into George Russell is warranted. A great period in the early 60's with incredible timeless creativity of arrangement and playing. Ezz-thetic, Stratusphunk, In K.C.
- Trane, India, extended group, Village Vanguard. Free Time!
- Rob Mazurek, Skull Sessions. Could solid matter become more dense? When do layers of sound collapse and/or expand by telepathic insinuation? Yes, and on cue, generally speaking.
Thanks for listening.
|A Jazz Great of the Modern Era has passed away. Bassist Charlie Haden was musical before he could walk and his influence is like a major branch of the Jazz Tree. He always created on the highest level, and he is remembered as a warm and giving individual. There will be much written about him in the coming days. Take a minute and read or hear something by/about/for Charlie Haden and just kind of dig that quietly. |
|A pure light will shine brightly when vocalist Barbara Morrison reflects on the legend of Dinah Washington at Jazz Live, TONIGHT. With an 18-piece orchestra supporting her, Barbara Morrison will present "I Wanna Be Loved: The Stories of the Queen of the Blues." As a Jazz Live will, the program starts at 8pm in the Saville Theatre on the City College campus. Jazz 88.3 Members are reserving their free tickets as you read this, 619-388-3037. Be sure to Print The Parking Permit. |
Henry "Skipper" Franklin makes a return appearance to Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 8, 2014, and we will be live blogging picture, Twitter, Facebook, and more.
The Skipper brings his quartet, including Theo Saunders piano, Chuck Manning sax, and Ramon Banda along with him for our Live Radio Presentation! There's a lot that goes on before, during, and after the show, and we'll do our best to capture it all right here on the Jazz Live San Diego Blog
...scroll to the bottom of the post to see how you can be part of the show.
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On Demand, Click to Play): Henry Franklin Quartet (ENTIRE SHOW) at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 8, 2014 (1:31:01)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Henry Franklin Jazz Live San Diego Interview, Tuesday, July 8, 2014 (16:14)
- Below the fold, video of the Henry Franklin Jazz Live San Diego Interview...Check It Out!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Jazz Live Preview of July 22, 2014 Show With Barbara Morrison with 18-piece Orchestra in Tribute to Dinah Washington (11:36)
- Barbara Morrison Tribute to Dinah Washington at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Below the fold, full video of the Jazz Live San Diego Interview with Henry Franklin and a photoset of pictures from the evening! And your chance to add a comment!!
|LIVE Monday, June 23, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- BE PART OF THE SHOW! Follow TNJT on Twitter, LikeThe New Jazz Thing on Facebook, and share something about The New @Jazz88 with the #TNJT or #Jazz88 hashtags! We may even be able to mention your name and comment during the Live show and you'll be part of the Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, July 7, 2014 (1:57:10)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Gabriel Sundy of The Applebrown Jazz Ensemble "The Way On Up" Interview, Monday, July 7, 2014 (19:23)
- Saxophonist Gabriel Sundy and The Applebrown Jazz Ensemble have a new disc out (and being added to Jazz 88 on 6/30/14) "The Way On Up" featuring groovy and aggressive Jazz tunes that have been long in incubation and just waiting to get out! We'll be chatting with Gabriel live in-studio about the project, his career, and Jazz in San Diego in Hour 1 of the show.
- 2014.7.7 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Several of the biggest names in Jazz have new releases out and being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 7, 2014, including Fred Hersch ("Floating"), Sean Jones ("Im-Pro-Vise: Never Before Seen"), and Wynton Marsalis with 6/23/14 TNJT @Jazz88 Guest Marcus Roberts ("Together Again: Live In Concert"), along with many other New discoveries!
- Links Tonight...
|Several of the biggest names in Jazz have new releases out and being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 7, 2014, including Fred Hersch ("Floating"), Sean Jones ("Im-Pro-Vise: Never Before Seen"), and Wynton Marsalis with 6/23/14 TNJT @Jazz88 Guest Marcus Roberts ("Together Again: Live In Concert"), along with many other New discoveries!|
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 7, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
- CHARLIE APICELLA & IRON CITY – “BIG BOSS”
- NICHOLAS BRIDGMAN – “EVENINGS ON THE COAST”
- DARRYL HARPER – “THE NEED’S GOT TO BE SO DEEP”
- FRED HERSCH TRIO – “FLOATING”
- SEAN JONES QUARTET – “IM-PRO-VISE: NEVER BEFORE SEEN”
- SHIVANI KUMAR – “WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE”
- VINCENT LYN – “LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY”
- WYNTON MARSALIS / MARCUS ROBERTS – “TOGETHER AGAIN: LIVE IN CONCERT”
- HENDRIK MEURKENS-MISHA TSIGANOV DUO & QUARTET – “JUNITY”
- FREDA PAYNE – “COME BACK TO ME, LOVE”
- JASON ROEBKE – “HIGH RED CENTER”
- DONNA SINGER – “DESTINY: MOMENT OF JAZZ”
- GENE STONE AND THE JAZZ BRIGADE – “CITY BY THE BAY”
- DEBORAH THURLOW – “COLLAGE”
Here is an example of cross-media promotion, I assume, or in other words pushing the same material through a new outlet. On facebook last night I posted "On My Mind: Index of Possibilities, Transitions, and several Blind Shots." The Index of Possibilities is automatic within the concept of Creative Music. Transitions are useful/mandatory juxtapositions of texture between moving Index Items. Blind Shots are simply a blind shot or more.
- Rudy Royston- Gangs of New York- 303
- Horace Tapscott, so much
- Solo 1 gets a shot in the final minute...stoppage time goal!
Thanks for listening
Student Delivered Sound
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE