|Our next Jazz Live brings one of the finest Jazz pianists around today, Hal Galper. He's played with them all- Cannonball Adderley, Joe Williams, Phil Woods, George Duke, Anita O'Day, Chet Baker and Stan Getz, to name a few. Hal will be here in a trio setting on Tuesday, November 18 at 8pm. Please make your reservation by calling 619-388-3037 and please be a valid Jazz 88.3 member. Also, don't forget about that parking pass. MORE...|
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive: Jazz Live San Diego Preview - Hal Galper, November 18 8PM PT (11:37)
- TIP: Should open in a new tab. Come back to this tab, then you'll be listenin' AND surfin'!
- Origin Records: Hal Galper's 2014 "O's Time" . The latest of his 34 releases, according to...
- AllMusic.com: Hal Galper Discography
- AllAboutJazz.com (Dan McClenaghan): Hal Galper Trio "O's Time"
- "It's hard to be innovative in the piano trio format. The last big change happened in the late fifties and early sixties, with pianist Bill Evans' groundbreaking trio featuring bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian. The democratization of input and interplay changed the trio game, and countless groups have worked on refining that Evans approach ever since. A more recent development has been bombast and the inclusion of rock and poplar tunes into the jazz piano trio endeavor—with varying degree of success. Rubato playing, the stretching of the varying of tempos, in a three way improvisational way, is pianist Hal Galper's contribution to piano trio innovation."