Idyllwild Arts is accepting enrollment for the Jazz In The Pines Student Clinic happening June 30th - July 13th. This two-week session is built around the return of Jazz In The Pines, giving students an exciting opportunity to learn from and see performances form Jazz greats in an intimate festival environment, a truly unique experience not offered at other camps. More info and registration can be made here.
The San Diego jazz community lost a beloved family member when guitarist Bob Boss died unexpectedly on Sunday, Feb. 18, in Idyllwild, after performing what would be his last concert. Within hours, tributes began to flood social media from fellow artists, former students, and loving family members and friends who never wanted the music to end. He was 71.
KSDS has teamed up with 32 Bar Blues clothing to brings you an exclusive high-quality Jazz Across America shirt.Read full article…
Holly Hofmann's jazz series continues this month at Tio Leo's Restaurant and Lounge at 5302 Napa St. at Morena Blvd. Jazz at Tio Leo's is happening every Sunday evening from 5-7pm and features Southern California's finest jazz musicians in a quiet, spacious setting with full bar and Mexican cuisine. There is also plenty of free parking. See this month's schedule below:
Donate your used vehicle to Jazz 88.3 because it's the best result from a kind act AND it is truly one of the most reliable revenue sources we have. Call 1-888- JAZZ-CAR (1-888-529-9227).
The San Diego Community College District and City College is committed to supporting The San Diego Promise, an initiative that allows local students to attend City College for FREE.
Recently Played Albums
Born on this day, March 3rd…
- Pierre Michelot (Bass) was born in St.-Denis, France, 1928–2005.
- Barnie Bigard (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone) was born in New Orleans, LA, 1906–1980.
- Jimmy Garrison (Bass) was born in Miami, FL, 1934–1976.
- Clark Burroughs (Vocals-Lead) was born in Los Angeles, CA in 1930.
- Cliff Smalls (Piano) was born in Charleston, SC, 1918–2008.
- Sergio Salvatore (Piano) was born in Ringwood, NJ in 1981.
On This Day
March 3rd in Jazz History…
- The Benny Goodman Band opens at the Paramount Theater to great response in 1937.
- Gene Krupa plays his last date with the Goodman band at the Earle Theater in Philadelphia in 1938.
- The Jimmy Giuffre (jew-free) Trio recorded their first date "In The Morning Out There" for Verve Records in New York City in 1961.
- The Stan Kenton Orchestra Records "Sweets" in 1954 in Hollywood.
- Artie Shaw recorded "Frenesi" on Bluebird Records in 1940.