San Diego Jazz Musician, Composer, Bandleader, Educator, and Innovator Mark Dresser has been named as one of 20 recipients of the Doris Duke Impact Awards for 2015, receiving $80,000 to be used over 3 years as he wishes. Since April 2014, the foundation has awarded a total of $3.2 million in Impact Awards to 40 artists in the fields of jazz, dance and theatre. The Doris Duke Impact Award, in particular, has a unique nomination process, as explained by Ben Cameron, program director for the arts at the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, "The Doris Duke Impact Awards are based on nominations submitted by artists, identifying others (often less widely known) that will have enormous impact on the jazz, dance or theatre fields in the future.
Dresser’s reaction to the award, as captured by Robert Bush, San Diego Jazz Writer, in an NBC San Diego Blog Post, "I felt gratified being recognized by this organization and it’s especially meaningful to know that I was chosen by a panel made up of distinguished but unknown colleagues in the field. I’m still trying to get a handle on the implications of such a significant financial prize attached and continuing to figure out what that could mean in realizing my music on a more dimensional level."
READ THE FULL ARTICLE for more coverage of the award, Dresser's music at Jazz 88.3, and more...
Mark Dresser's Doris Duke Award In The Press
- Mark Dresser Selected for Doris Duke Impact Award (Robert Bush, NBC San Diego): "Dresser joins rare, prestigious company as Doris Duke Award-winner"
- Noted Encinitas jazz musician wins Doris Duke Impact Award (Rob Ledonne, Encinitas Advocate): "Long a familiar face in the San Diego music scene, Dresser studied in the ’70s at UCSD under longtime faculty member Burt Turetzky before dropping out to join the San Diego Symphony. Throughout his life, it was his passion and talent for jazz that helped him through the ups and downs of a turbulent and sometimes chaotic industry."
- Mark Dresser Wins Doris Duke Impact Award (UCSD Dept of Music)
- Mark Dresser wins Doris Duke Impact Award (David Sands, For Bass Players Only): "Jazz bass maverick thanks mentors Bert Turetzky and Jimmy Cheatham"
- Doris Duke Artist Page: Mark Dresser
- Doris Duke Impact Award Press Release
Mark Dresser In and On The Air at San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Jazz88.org
Mark Dresser was a guest on The New Jazz Thing on Halloween Night, November 31, 2011, talking about Telematics, and his collaboration album with Jen Shyu called "Synastry" (follow that link for more info and video). And we have the streaming audio to prove it...
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy Streaming Audio: Mark Dresser on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, November 31, 2011 (21:24)
Back in November, 2014, Mark's nomination for Best Accoustic Bassist was 1 of 6 Reasons For San Diego Jazz Fans To Vote In The JazzTimes Readers Poll 2014.
Mark is the leader or co-leader on over 20 releases in the Jazz 88.3 Music Library...
|Aquifer||Mark Dresser Trio||Cryptogramophone|
|C/D/E||Andrew Cyrille, Mark Dresser, Marty Ehrlich||Jazz Magnet|
|Code Re(a)d||Mark Dresser, Gerry Hemingway & Assif Tsahar||REDEYE Records|
|Duetto||Diane Moser & Mark Dresser||Creative Improvised Music|
|Duologues||Mark Dresser & Denman Maroney||Les Disques Victo|
|Force Green||Mark Dresser||Soul Note|
|House of Mirrors||Mark Dresser, Ed Harkins, Steven Schick||Clean Feed|
|Live In Concert||Mark Dresser / Denman Maroney|
|Nine Songs Together||Mark Dresser And Ray Anderson|
|Nourishments||Mark Dresser Quintet||Clean Feed|
|Play Braxton||Marilyn Crispell / Mark Dresser / Gerry Hemingway|
|Point Of Contact||Bob And Ellen Weller With Mark Dresser|
|Soul To Soul||Remi Alvarez / Mark Dresser||Intolerancia|
|Synastry||Jen Shyu + Mark Dresser||Pi Recordings|
|The Marks Brothers||Mark Dresser/Mark Helias|
|Time Changes||Mark Dresser / Denman Maroney||Cryptogramophone|
|We All Feel The Same||Larry Ochs, Mark Dresser, Vladimir Tarasov||Solyd Records|
According to the Jazz 88 Playlist Archive, from 2010, Mark's music from the above discs was heard 125 times...with 2013 being the banner year with 45 spins (36% of total spins)...and you can bet that most of those were during Progressive Nights, Monday through Friday from 10PM to Midnight PT (so dig it). Here are the spins from 2010...(working through an issue with the list...)