|Welcome to Progressive Nights, the dynamic programming direction in the late post meridian zone on Jazz 88.3 and jazz88.org. It seems like everyone is running from anything even vaguely approaching modern or avant garde...or Jazz, for that matter. Meanwhile, Jazz 88.3 is actually committing space and energy to current and historical developments in Modern Jazz Music. Monday through Thursday nights, 10pm to midnight. Progressive Nights.
This is Miff Mole and I'm going to real time bullet list my show for 3/27/14. Not everything, but enough to get a feel for what's going on.
- Right now it's 9:47pm, Barry is playing The Rich and The Poor by Keith Jarrett. It is definitely setting a mood in my music brain program list.
- Opened with guitarist Joel Harrison's String Choir, music by, or inspired by, Paul Motian. (footnote: two things at once ain't easy)
- Bassist Keith Witty and drummer Damion Reid are a molten flow for the Jonathan Finlayson piece "Circus."
- Omission of detail does not reflect any particular agenda or preference. Voice activated blog would be great until the on-air mic is mistakenly cued by the operator and comedy ensues.
- Michael Formanek and Jim Black were dangerous on "Thin Skin/Dangerous Crustaceans."
- "Voices" from Bill Dixon's Intents And Purposes is familiar and provocative at the same time. The focus and execution is staggering, but that's what creative music does. (footnote: something else that ain't easy)
- Listen to the show at The Speakeasy. It will be there by Sunday.
House of Blues
, in partnership with Francis Parker School
, presents the 4th Annual 2014 Jazz 88.3 Summer Jazz Workshop
! The workshop is open to middle school and high school students and will offer (two
) 1-week sessions
) at Francis Parker School. The program includes lessons in performance, improvisation, theory and music history. Students will also perform at the House of Blues at the end of the workshop, too! The Jazz 88.3 Jazz Workshop is open to beginning, intermediate and advanced Jazz students.
You can now SIGN UP
. Good luck from all of us here at Jazz 88.3!
Joe Garrison and Night People are performing tonight, Tuesday, March 11, 2014, during Jazz Live San Diego, 8 to 10 PM PT and whether you are at the Saville or listening live in San Diego and around the world, you can share what you think about the show before, during, and after...we will!After the split, the lineup for the show, pictures before, during, and after, additional audio, and more!
|The “Keep the Beat” Spring Membership Campaign has come to a close. WE HIT THE GOAL! You stepped up and joined our rhythm section to keep this great music flowing for years to come. Thank you so very much! We are so grateful to have the very best listeners and members in the world. If you missed your chance to DONATE you still can! Please call 619-388-3000. And a 1-2-3-4...GO!