September 15, 2014
It's a great batch of NEW Adds to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library for the week of September 14, 2014, including the latest from Jazz Live San Diego alum's Andy Bey (1/8/2008) and Sammy Figueroa (?) and our upcoming November 18, 2014 Jazz Live San Diego guest Hal Galper! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 15, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! (Update: Hear all the new as played on TNJT 9/15/14)!
- BEAT FUNKTION – “MANDY’S SECRET” (Do Music)
- ANDY BEY – “PAGES FROM AN IMAGINARY LIFE” (Savant)
- DEE DANIELS – “INTIMATE CONVERSATIONS” (Origin)
- SAMMY FIGUEROA & GLAUCIA NASSER – “TALISMAN” (Savant)
- “LARRY FULLER” (Capri)
- HAL GALPER TRIO – “O’s TIME” (Origin)
- GERRY GIBBS THRASHER DREAM TRIO – “WE’RE BACK” (WCS)
- CHARLES LLOYD – “MANHATTAN STORIES” (Resonance)
- HAFEZ MODIRZADEH – “IN CONVERGANCE LIBERATION” (PI)
- ALEX MERCADO TRIO – “SYMBIOSIS” (Conaculta/Fonca)
- JASON MORAN – “ALL RISE: A Joyful Elegy For Fats Waller” (Blue Note)
- JOHN DAVID SIMON – “PHANTASM” (WarmGroove)
- TIERNEY SUTTON – “PARIS SESSIONS” (BFM)
- TRIO 3 & VIJAY IYER – “WIRING” (Intakt)
- CHRIS WALDEN BIG BAND – “FULL-ON!” (Origin)
Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
|LIVE Monday, September 15, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
Jazz 88 Playlist Archive for Monday, September 15, 2014
(scroll to 6-8 PM PT to see entire show playlist or check out the screenshot below)
Read the Entire Article
for Jazz 88 Speakeasy Audio of the Entire Show and Marcia Ball Interview, Top 10 Countdown replay, Links to New Adds to the Jazz 88 Library, and more!
|The last few week's have provided major blows for Jazz. We lost one of our very own here in San Diego (Daniel Jackson) but also Gerald Wilson and Joe Sample. These men were integral to the art form as composers and arrangers. Their trumpet and piano, respectively, lent to the honest voice of jazz music. For Gerald, it began in the Jimmie Lunceford Orchestra in 1939 when he replaced the star trumpeter in the group at the time (Sy Oliver). Joe's contribution started in hard bop and grew into many different styles of playing. Both men led bands and forged new roads. Their music and jazz history will preserve forever. |
|Brother Jack McDuff is San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week starting September 15, 2014. AllMusic.com's Ron Wynn calls McDuff "A marvelous bandleader and organist as well as capable arranger..." and about the work on his instrument "...one of the funkiest, most soulful styles of all time on the Hammond B-3." Here's our AOW version of the Portrait In Jazz show that will be be airing on Wednesday, September 17, the 88th anniversary of his birth in 1926.|
Tune into Jazz 88.3 and Jazz88.org all week as our hosts play the music of this versatile artist. Read the entire article for more facts about Brother Jack and your chance to comment on your favorite tunes...
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Copyright © 2017 KSDS
KSDS Jazz 88.3 is a non-profit 501c3 organization, a part of the San Diego City College District.
is a service of NetChain Communications, Inc.