Jazz 88.3 Blog
|San Diego's Jazz 88.3 On-Air Staff wishes you and yours the happiest, most productive, and especially Jazzy Labor Day 2014 to you!|
Read the entire article
to see a larger version of this mosaic and then leave a comment for your favorite On-Air host!
Read the entire article
for links to the Jazz 88 Speakeasy audio replay, new music for the week, the New Jazz Giveaways for the show, Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart, pictures, and more!
September's getting started with a great batch of New Additions to the Jazz 88 Music Library, including the latest work from Dave Douglas, Wayne Escoffrey, and Christian Tamburr.
You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 1, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)! Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
|Vocalist Janet Klein radiates a vintage vibe in the Jazz Style and Her Parlor Boys are right there with her. For our next Jazz Live they will play tribute to the San Diego treasure Lou Curtiss, famous for Folk Arts Rare Records and Jazz Roots on Jazz 88.3. The show is TONIGHT, it starts at 8pm, and it's all-ages welcome. Saville Theater, City College, 14th & C downtown. Valid Jazz 88.3 Members can reserve free tickets by calling 619-388-3037. If you are not a member tickets are only $10 and can be purchased at 7:30pm the night of the show. Print the Parking Permit and enjoy the fresh air. |
|Three Day Weekend! Award Winning Jazz Radio! Large Ensembles Set On Stun!|
- I might be persnickety when it comes to Personal Inclinations In Music Selection but it was a full-on throw-down program of large groups, ensembles, big bands, and like that. On the one hand there was no Sun Ra or 8 Bold Souls or Creative Orchestra Music. On the other, Secret Society and New York Hieroglyphics and Box Canyon Overview. "It's all about texture" said Jared Gold after slaying us at Oliver Lake some years back.
- Lester Bowie. Enough said. Well, okay...Julius Hemphill, too. Very High Level.
- Sam Rivers swang at the conclusion and really wrapped it up.
Thanks for listening
|Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with a special benefit concert TONIGHT at 7:30PM. This concert, brought to you by Vaya Entertainment and Emerson Bran Management will bring three-time Grammy winner Oscar Hernandez to the Saville Theater along with saxophonist Justo Almario and San Diego's own, Gilbert Castellanos. Listen to Chris Springer's Oscar Hernandez interview about the event. It will be a night to remember, and proceeds from the concert will benefit your favorite Jazz and Blues public radio station, Jazz 88.3. Here is the ticket information. |
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): Tiffany Jane and The Kicks "Discovery" Interview (14:43)
- Tiffany Jane and The Kicks - We'll get introduced to this 2014 San Diego Music Award Best Jazz Nominee with some music from their recently released disc "Discovery" and a chat with members of the band. We'll be chatting in Hour 1!
Read the full article for Top 10 Countdown links/video, Full list of NEW Adds @Jazz88 8/25/14, Coming up on TNJT, more!
You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, August 25, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)!
- AFRO BOP ALLIANCE – “ANGEL EYES”
- AKIKO – “COMMENCEMENT”
- PAUL CARR – “B3 SESSIONS (CD-NY)”
- KEVIN CLINE – “MAKE UP YOUR MIND”
- MICHAEL DEASE – “RELENTLESS”
- BEBE GILBERTO – “TUDO”
- JOSEPH LUNA – “EPICENTER”
- MACK AVENUE SUPER BAND – “LIVE FROM THE DETROIT JAZZ FESTIVAL-2013”
- DAWAN MUHAMMED – “PREACHIN’ TO THE CHOIR”
- JANE POTTER TRIO – “NOW I KNOW”
- “RITMOS UNIDOS”
- MITCH SHINER AND THE BLOOMING TONES BIG BAND – “FLY!”
- DARA TUCKER – “THE SUN SEASON”
- ANA VELINOVA – “THE THIEF”
- FRANK WALTON/YORON ISRAEL SEXTET – “LIVE IN CHICAGO”
in partnership with Edible San Diego
invites you to the Fall Issue Release Party happening TONIGHT
at "Solare Ristorante
” in Liberty Station. Come out and experience Solare Ristorante and enjoy great Jazz by the Patrick Berrogain Duo
, and of course, pick up the latest issue of Edible San Diego while you're at it! It's your chance to hang out with Jazz 88.3 and mingle with the community...all while we raise our glasses and forks to a locally-inspired good time! We'll see you there!
|Straight to bullet points:|
- Did not know that Joey DeFrancesco plays trumpet. The new disc with Bobby Hutcherson and Billy Hart is sweet but my ears went 'wait, what?' Had to go to the liner notes. Did not know that.
- Viper's Drag makes me pine for Air Lore. Long time in between, less so if I had more time and attention span.
- Marc Cary surely must be in the running for top pianist. Not competitively or categorically, but thinking about unique voice and interaction and dynamic group chemistry...right up there, near the top.
Somebody asked me if I mean it when I say "Thanks for listening." Well, you know, of course I mean it. The whole show has been about intention and then at the end I'm gonna bs? No, I am not gonna. Thanks for listening!
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE