|It's the FIRST NEW ADDS of 2015 and YOU can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, January 12, 2015 between 6 and 8 PM PT! !|
- NELS CLINE & JULIAN LAGE – “ROOM”
- RON DiSALVO – “SONGS FOR JAZZ LEGENDS”
- DAVID FRIESEN CIRCLE 3 TRIO – “WHERE THE LIGHT FALLS”
- CLARK GIBSON – “OLD STYLE SEXTET”
- DAVID HAZELTINE – “I REMEMBER CEDAR”
- JOHNNY GRIFFITH – “DANCE WITH THE LADY”
- KEITH JARRETT/CHARLIE HADEN/PAUL MOTIAN – “HAMBURG ‘72”
- MARK MINCHELLO – “TRINOMIAL”
- JIM NORTON COLLECTIVE – “TIME REMEMBERED”
- RICH PELLEGRIN QUINTET – “EPISODES IV-VI”
- PHIL RANELIN WITH BIG BLACK & HENRY FRANKLIN – “PERSEVERANCE”
- MIKE ROSSI-MICU NARUNSKY – “COMMON GROUND”
- DAN SIEGEL – “INDIGO”
- TOM TEASLEY – “THE LOVE OF THE NIGHTINGALE”
- TOMMY SMITH/BRIAN KELLOCK – “WHISPERING OF THE STARS”
Read the entire article
for your additional annotations about this week's New and your chance to Comment on New Jazz with your FREE Jazz 88 Speakeasy Account!
|Cedar Walton, 2010 NEA Jazz Master and Jazz Live San Diego alumni, is the Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week for January 12, 2015. You will be hearing his music, hand-picked by your Jazz 88 hosts all week!|
Joining Cedar in the spotlight this week, on Portrait in Jazz from Noon to 1pm PT each weekday, we are featuring the following artists
Read the entire article
- Jay McShann - Monday, 1/12/15
- Joe Pass - Tuesday 1/13/15
- Cyrus Chestnut - Wednesday, 1/14/15
- Jane Ira Bloom - Thursday, 1/15/15
- Cedar Walton - Friday, 1/16/15
for more on these great Jazz artists and your chance to Comment on your favorite tune, album, concert or other remembrance.
|LIVE Monday, January 12, 2015, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). Tonight on the show...|
- Robert Bush - San Diego's premier Jazz Journalist joins us in Hour 2 to review his recently AllAboutJazz.com published Best of 2014 list (which includes a couple San Diego artists) and to look forward in 2015, including:
- Pianist Joshua White goes global
- World-wide lauded in 2014 (and on Robert's 2014 list) Wadada Leo Smith at UCSD in January with our own local treasure Anthony Davis and his UCSD students. Info on the date.
- Bassist (and resent Jazz Education Network Conference 2015 clinician and performer) Mark Dresser has some exciting things coming up, including the honor of a week's residency at The Stone at UCSD.
- Jazz Education Network Conference 2015 Notes -
- 2015.1.12 Adds To The Jazz 88.3 Music Library -
- Preview of the week in Jazz and on Jazz 88.3, including Joe Chambers at Jazz Live, Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week, daily Portrait in Jazz, and more
|San Diego's Jazz 88.3 extends an America's Finest City welcome to The Jazz Education Network and their 2015 Conference at the Manchester Grand Hyatt starting TODAY, Wednesday, January 7, 2015 and going through the late evening hours of Saturday, January 10, 2015 (and you know those late Jazz Jam session will run into early Sunday)! Starting with Wednesday evening's full evening concert lineup, there will be 71 clinics and panel presentations, 36 Research Presentations, the next JENeration of Jazz with the JENerations Student Jazz Festival, 77 concerts including Pancho Sanchez, Bobby Shew, Ann Patterson's Maiden Voyage, and Grammy winner and recently nominated again, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Oh, and did we mention that Herbie Hancock will be delivering the Keynote Speech on Thursday, January 8, 2015?! YOU CAN STILL BE PART OF IT!|
|Jazz Live San Diego will be kicking of 2015 in great fashion with a series of concerts that starts January 13, 2015 at 8pm PT with legendary mallet man Joe Chambers, and includes San Diego's own Euphoria Brass Band, saxophonists Christopher Hollyday and San Diego icon Joe Marillo leading a quintet, and W.C. Handy Blues Award nominee The Missy Andersen Band. Jazz Live San Diego is San Diego's Jazz 88.3's monthly (twice a month June/July) live concert series from the Saville Theatre on the San Diego City College campus broadcast world wide on Jazz 88.3 and Jazz88.org, |
READ THE FULL ARTICLE for more about these upcoming shows and how YOU CAN GET IN FREE!
|LIVE Monday, January 5, 2015, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). Tonight on the show...|
- Jazz Education Network Conference 2015...aka #JEN15...swings into San Diego Wednesday, January 7 through Saturday, January 10, with clinics, presentations, vendors, and shows Shows SHOWS! Tonight we preview the conference and the special JENerosity Celebration Fundraiser event in Hour 2 with members of the JEN board.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE for the rest of our preview of 2015, with links to artists, events, and more!
|JENerosity Celebration 2015, with a full late afternoon to late evening of dinner, cocktails, honorees, and performances by Mundell Lowe, Pancho Sanchez, and many more, in support of the Jazz Education Network's (JEN) Jazz Music and Education scholarship and outreach programs takes place on Friday, January 9, 2015, as part of JEN's 2015 Conference at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. Your $125 donation ($88 for conference attendees) includes a late afternoon concern by Mundell Lowe starting at 3pm, the JENerosity Celebration of music, cocktails, dinner, and awards with artists including NEA Jazz Master Jamey Aebersold, Lynne Arriale, John Clayton, Charles McPherson, Holly Hoffman and more, a special performance by 2015 JEN LeJENds of Latin Jazz Poncho Sanchez, special seating at the conference's evening concerts including Caliente, Joe Santerre Ensemble, Army Jazz Ambassadors with Bobby Shew, and m-pact. GET YOUR TICKETS NOW for this NOT TO BE MISSED evening of and for Jazz in San Diego!||
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Support Jazz 88.3
while you shop at
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE