Jazz 88.3 Blog
A bit of a shortened list of new adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library for the week of July 28, 2014, but a full spectrum from Gpysy Jazz (Cyrille Aimee) to Sax/Bass Duo work from Jazz studs Steve Wilson and Lewis Nash ("Duologue").
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 28, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
- CYRILLE AIMEE – “IT’S A GOOD DAY”
- DAVID BASSE – “THE HERO AND THE LOVER…”
- JASON PAUL CURTIS – “FEAU BOURGEOIS CAFÉ”
- CHRIS GRECO – “STANDARDS, VOL.1”
- SHERIE JULIANNE – “10 DEGREES SOUTH”
- ANN REYNOLDS CLAVE GRINGA – “PARA CUBA CON AMOR”
- RODNEY WHITAKER – “WHEN WE FIND OURSELVES ALONE”
- STEVE WILSON/LEWIS NASH DUO – “DUOLOGUE”
|A lot of orange this time, heavy lines in the lower layers. Ideas forming thinking hearing music...|
- Titles as colors: Contours, Silent Observation, Undula.
- Titles as structure: Hottentot, Question, Metamorphosis.
- Titles as primary: Absence, Coaster, Pulse
Thanks for listening
|Jazz Live TONIGHT will be a swinging good time with The Hot Club of Detroit, a four-piece jazz ensemble with the tight tricky gypsy style that makes sitting almost impossible. Listen to the Jazz Live preview to get the groove going. As always, Jazz Live is at City College's Saville Theater at 14th and C street. Valid Jazz 88.3 Members can reserve free tickets by calling 619-388-3037. If you are not a member tickets are only $10 and can be purchased at 7:30pm the night of the show. As a courtesy, your parking permit is also free of charge, but you must print it. |
Barbara Morrison pay tribute to The Queen of the Blues, Dinah Washington, with her Big Band at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 22, 2014 and we will be live blogging picture, Twitter, Facebook, and more!
There's a lot that goes on before, during, and after the show, and we'll do our best to capture it all right here on the Jazz Live San Diego Blog
......BE PART OF THE SHOW by posting to Twitter with the #JazzLive or #Jazz88 hashtag or on the Jazz Live San Diego Facebook page and we may give you a shoutout at the 9PM break!
After the split, listen to
Jazz 88 Speakeasy On-demand of the Entire Concert, Jazz Live Interview, and a Preview of the August 5, 2014 Jazz Live with The Hot Club of Detroit, in addition to some of the favorite tweets from the Jazz88JazzLive Twitter feed and your chance to provide feedback with a comment!
On tonight's show,
- Antar Martin previews his Aggregation's upcoming Eric Dolphy Tribute Concert. Check out the audio and video!
- We debut the 2014.07.14 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library with quotes from album reviews,
- Antar guests on the Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart for July 21, 2014,
- and lots more!
After the split, links to Jazz 88 Speakeasy for the show and interviews, links to tonight's playlist aon the Playlist Archive, a nice shot of Antar and I, and more...here's the playlist for tonight...
An abundance of New Jazz hits the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 21, 2014, including new releases by Jazz stalwarts like Anthony Branker, Robin Eubanks, Larry Goldings, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Warfield with Randy Brecker, and former TNJT Guest Walt Weiskopf and a fantastic never-before-issued live solo performance by pianist Jaki Byard. And lots of new jazz artists to explore too!
- DEE ALEXANDER – “SONGS MY MOTHER LOVES”
- TODD BISHOP GROUP – “TRAVELOGUE”
- ANTHONY BRANKER & WORD PLAY – “THE FORWARD (TOWARDS EQUALITY) SUITE”
- JAKI BYARD – “THE LATE SHOW”
- ALAN CHAN JAZZ ORCHESTRA – “SHRIMP TALE”
- CHICAGO JAZZ PHILHARMONIC CHAMBER ENSEMBLE – “SKETCHES OF SPAIN”
- DIVA – “A SWINGIN’ LIFE”
- ROBIN EUBANKS + MENTAL IMAGES – “KLASSIK ROCK, VOL.1”
- KALI Z FASTEAU – “PIANO RAPTURE”
- OLIVER GANNON QUARTET – “EASY SAILING”
- LARRY GOLDINGS – “RAMSHACKLE SERENADE”
- CHRIS GREENE – “MUSIC APPRECIATION”
- JOE MAGNARELLI – “LOOKIN’ UP!”
- BOB MAMET – “LONDON HOUSE BLUES”
- LENNY MARCUS – “SECOND SET”
- GAETANO PARTIPILO – “BESIDES: SONGS FROM THE SIXTIES”
- PAQUITO d’RIVERA – “JAZZ MEETS THE CLASSICS”
- ADA ROVATTI – “DISGUISE”
- “INTRODUCING THE CRAIG SCOTT QUINTET”
- BILL WARFIELD BIG BAND FEATURING RANDY BRECKER – “TRUMPET STORY”
- WALT WEISKOPF – “OVERDRIVE”
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 21, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
|To pay proper tribute to bassist Charlie Haden would take some hours, even days. A national holiday would work but two hours is all I have. This program focused on three things; Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett, and the duets.|
- Death and the Flower - this brews into a creative storm without leaving a mark.
- First Song - (for Ruth) is often added, for his wife. Pretty tune, with Pat Metheny. A lot of people love him, Metheny.
- Circus '68 '69 - from the carousel intro to the chaotic finale, a great translation of political dystopia. Music Liberation Orchestra.
- Back Home Blues - a Charlie Parker line from Quartet West. Cleanse the palate, ready to continue.
- Folk Medley - little solo tucked into the middle of Don Cherry's Art Deco. Proof of Haden's value.
- Blues In Motian - Could have done two hours of Montreal Tapes and been happy.
- Pocket Full of Cherry - Keith Jarrett plays alto sax, Dewey Redman on tenor. 60th minute at full tilt.
- For a Free Portugal - with Paul Motian. see this
- Out of Focus - with Don Cherry.
- O.C. - with Ornette Coleman.
- Blues Connotation, Folk Tale, and Ramblin. This was it. This was where I started. One of the places, anyway.
- For Turiya - with Alice Coltrane on harp. A heavenly sendoff. Happy/sad right now.
Thanks for listening
|Nick Hempton's Catch and Release Project
: Saxophonist Nick Hempton (TNJT Guest 9/13/13
), is following up his 2013 "Odd Man Out" release with a project that will see the conception, development, recording, release, and marketing of a new tune every 6 weeks for the next year, with the first release on 7/15/14. We'll find out what Nick hopes to achieve with this digital-only, album-free business model experiment and what the impact to the music might be, among other things!
New Jazz Music being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 14, 2014 includes several past and future Jazz Live San Diego artists (Henry Butler 4/2011, Matt Falker 6/24/14
, Barbara Morrison...next Jazz Live 7/22/14...hear the preview
!) plus the latest from San Diego band Pocket and an Los Angeles-based Jazz guitarist that will be featured on The New Jazz Thing on 8/8/14 and performing in San Diego on 8/1, Andy Waddell. Oh...and new music from the great Cyrus Chestnut too!!
- ROY ASSAF TRIO – “SECOND ROW BEHIND THE PAINTER”
- AL BASILE – “SWING n’ STRINGS
- HENRY BUTLER-STEVEN BERNSTEIN AND THE HOT 9 – “VIPER’S DRAG”
- CYRUS CHESTNUT – “MIDNIGHT MELODIES”
- MATT FALKER – “PLAYPEN”
- BARBARA MORRISON – “I LOVE YOU, YES I DO”
- POCKET – “THE STICK BAG”
- ANDY WADDELL – “ALIVE”
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 14, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
|Missed the live blog on Thursday night, went camping, came back to World Cup final. Exhausted of every bit of concentration but there are still highlights that shine through.|
- More research into George Russell is warranted. A great period in the early 60's with incredible timeless creativity of arrangement and playing. Ezz-thetic, Stratusphunk, In K.C.
- Trane, India, extended group, Village Vanguard. Free Time!
- Rob Mazurek, Skull Sessions. Could solid matter become more dense? When do layers of sound collapse and/or expand by telepathic insinuation? Yes, and on cue, generally speaking.
Thanks for listening.
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE