Jazz 88.3 Blog
A fantastic night of Jazz Live San Diego with Jeffrey Joe Morin with Trio Los Besos, Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys, and all in honor of the diamond birthday of Jazz 88.3's host of Jazz Roots, Lou Curtiss...
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): Jazz Live San Diego (Entire Show), Tuesday, September 9, 2014
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Janet Klein Jazz Live San Diego Interview, Tuesday, September 9, 2014\
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Jazz Live San Diego Preview - Joshua Breakstone - Tuesday, October 14, 2014 ()
- AllMusic.com Biography of Joshua Breakstone by Scott Yanow
- AllAboutJazz.com Review of 2014 With The Wind and The Rain: "Loaded with creative solos, improvisational twists, an excellent selection of music and a lively augmented string-based instrumentation, the With the Wind and the Rain reveals a masterful performance from Joshua Breakstone and crew, and challenges the normal definition of the standard rhythm section.
|A list of new to really RAVE about, with new projects from former Jazz Live San Diego guests The Bad Plus and Roseanna Vitro, Jane Bunnett, Stanley Clarke, former San Diegan Kristin Korb, Chick Corea, and LOAD MORE! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 8, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)! |
- THE BAD PLUS – “INVITABLE WESTERN” (Okeh)
- DAVID BIXLER AUCTION PROJECT – “SLINK” (Self released)
- JANE BUNNETT – “MAQUEQUE” (Justin Time)
- STANLEY CLARKE – “UP” (Mack Avenue)
- KRISTIN KORB – “FINDING HOME” (Double K Music)
- KENNY WERNER - “COALITION” (Half Note)
- CHICK COREA TRIO – “TRILOGY” (Concord)
- CONRAD HERWIG - “THE LATIN SIDE OF JOE HENDERSON” (HN)
- MEDESKI, SCOFIELD, MARTIN & WOOD – “JUICE” (Indirecto)
- ADAM MECKLER ORCHESTRA – “WHEN THE CLOUDS LOOK LIKE THIS” (Self released)
- ANDY MILNE & DAPP THEORY – “FORWARD IN ALL DIRECTIONS”
- WADADA LEO SMITH – “THE GREAT LAKES SUITES” (TUM)
- IVO PERELMAN & KARL BERGER – “REVERIE” (Leo Records)
- GARY SCHUNK – “KAYAK” (DMT)
- MARK TURNER QUARTET – “LATHE OF HEAVEN” (ECM)
- ROSEANNA VITRO – “CLARITY” (Random Act)
Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
San Diego Blues Festival founder and music writer Michael Kinsman
has begun hosting “Every Shade of Blue
” Saturday nights from 8 p.m. to midnight. You can hear his first show by clicking this link
and in the future all shows will be in the Speakeasy
. Kinsman succeeds on-air personality “T,” who retired June 30 after more than 30 years with the station. “We’re thrilled to have Kinsman join us,” said Program Director Claudia Russell. “His love for the blues, the San Diego community and music education is unwavering – a perfect fit for KSDS."
|Steve Turre is the Jazz 88 Artist of the Week for September 8, 2014. You'll be hearing his music all week as our hosts pay tribute to the man AllMusic.com calls "Perhaps the most visible jazz trombonist of the 20th and 21st centuries. " Here's our "AOW" version of the Portrait in Jazz feature of Steve Turre...|
Read the full article
for your opportunity to pay tribute, through comments, to this great, living Jazz Trombonist, along with links to additional information about Steve, video and photos of his appearance at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, January 13, 2009, and more!
|LIVE Monday, September 8, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click To Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, September 8, 2014 (2:01:46)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Matt Smith of Juice Box CD and Release Party Preview, Monday, September 8, 20214 (10:00)
- Matt Smith of Juice Box! San Diego's Juice Box plays groovy, soulful, Jazz on classic instruments in classic formats...they are releasing their 10" debut on vinyl Thursday, September 11, 2014 at a release show at Seven Grand in North Park. Drummer Matt Smith will be checking in during Hour 1 of TNJT to preview some cuts and tell us what give Juice Box their "Juice"!
- JUICE BOX: A New Take on Soul and Funk (San Diego Troubadour, September 2014)
New Adds at Jazz 88, Top 10 Countdown, Jazz News, and more coming up!
|Originally I wanted to type this as the show was underway. Capture the action. Feel the vibe. Apparently I was ignoring what I've learned over the last decades of this endeavor...the scene changes and you are at its mercy. And it has none. |
- Saturday morning, Cowles Mtn early, international break so no compelling distraction, typing now.
- San Diego lost a local legend when Daniel Jackson passed away. He helped many musicians in many ways over the years. read more
- Confirmed but not yet announced, yours truly will permanently fill the Friday night Progressive Nights chair, 10pm - midnight, begininning September 19th. Thursday nights unchanged except for slight adjustments in the Index of Possibilities because there should be some separation.
Thanks for listening
|From the Jazz88.org Home Page News Article this morning, Daniel Jackson, 1937-2014, |
Read the full article
It is with a heavy heart that Jazz 88.3 has learned of Daniel Jackson's passing this morning. He was a first rate composer, saxophonist, pianist, educator and mentor. Daniel's passion for the music and the energy it creates was unmatched. Born in La Jolla and graduated from San Diego High School, he was the epitome of San Diego Jazz. A staple. His collaborations and relationships with legends like Lenny McBrowne, Art Farmer, The Adderley brothers, Jimmy Smith, to San Diego's own- Marshall Hawkins, Charles McPherson and Gilbert Castellanos is a testament to his gift of expression. He will be cherished always.
for more link resources and remembrances of this largest of beings on the San Diego Jazz Music scene and your chance to leave your own comment at the bottom...but first, here's Daniel, with Marshall Hawkins and Mike Wofford from the 2013 San Diego Music Awards where he received a Lifetime Achievement Award,
|Daniel Jackson was a first rate composer, saxophonist, pianist, educator and mentor. His passion for the music and the energy it creates was unmatched. Born in La Jolla and graduated from San Diego High School, he was the epitome of San Diego Jazz. A staple. Daniel's collaborations and relationships with legends like Lenny McBrowne, Art Farmer, The Adderley brothers, Jimmy Smith, to San Diego's own- Marshall Hawkins, Charles McPherson and Gilbert Castellanos is a testament to his gift of expression. He will be cherished always. More Resources and Remembrances on the Jazz 88 Blog... |
|Jazz 88.3 will be hanging out at the San Diego Blues Festival, a benefit for the Jacobs and Cushman San Diego Food Bank, Today (Sunday) at the Embarcadero Marina Park North. This year, come out and groove to 18-acts, including Eric Burdon & the Animals, Elvin Bishop, Tommy Castro & the Painkilllers, Blues Hall of Famer, Lazy Lester and more. In San Diego County, 462,000 people live in poverty and face “food insecurity” which means that little or no food is available at home and they often will not know where they will get their next meal. With that being said, the mission of the San Diego Blues Festival is to provide great blues music at an affordable price and raise money to support the battle against hunger in our community. So come out and hang out for a good cause! We'll see you there! |
|San Diego's Jazz 88.3 On-Air Staff wishes you and yours the happiest, most productive, and especially Jazzy Labor Day 2014 to you!|
Read the entire article
to see a larger version of this mosaic and then leave a comment for your favorite On-Air host!
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE