Jazz 88.3 Blog
On tonight's show,
- Antar Martin previews his Aggregation's upcoming Eric Dolphy Tribute Concert. Check out the audio and video!
- We debut the 2014.07.14 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library with quotes from album reviews,
- Antar guests on the Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart for July 21, 2014,
- and lots more!
After the split, links to Jazz 88 Speakeasy for the show and interviews, links to tonight's playlist aon the Playlist Archive, a nice shot of Antar and I, and more...here's the playlist for tonight...
An abundance of New Jazz hits the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 21, 2014, including new releases by Jazz stalwarts like Anthony Branker, Robin Eubanks, Larry Goldings, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Warfield with Randy Brecker, and former TNJT Guest Walt Weiskopf and a fantastic never-before-issued live solo performance by pianist Jaki Byard. And lots of new jazz artists to explore too!
- DEE ALEXANDER – “SONGS MY MOTHER LOVES”
- TODD BISHOP GROUP – “TRAVELOGUE”
- ANTHONY BRANKER & WORD PLAY – “THE FORWARD (TOWARDS EQUALITY) SUITE”
- JAKI BYARD – “THE LATE SHOW”
- ALAN CHAN JAZZ ORCHESTRA – “SHRIMP TALE”
- CHICAGO JAZZ PHILHARMONIC CHAMBER ENSEMBLE – “SKETCHES OF SPAIN”
- DIVA – “A SWINGIN’ LIFE”
- ROBIN EUBANKS + MENTAL IMAGES – “KLASSIK ROCK, VOL.1”
- KALI Z FASTEAU – “PIANO RAPTURE”
- OLIVER GANNON QUARTET – “EASY SAILING”
- LARRY GOLDINGS – “RAMSHACKLE SERENADE”
- CHRIS GREENE – “MUSIC APPRECIATION”
- JOE MAGNARELLI – “LOOKIN’ UP!”
- BOB MAMET – “LONDON HOUSE BLUES”
- LENNY MARCUS – “SECOND SET”
- GAETANO PARTIPILO – “BESIDES: SONGS FROM THE SIXTIES”
- PAQUITO d’RIVERA – “JAZZ MEETS THE CLASSICS”
- ADA ROVATTI – “DISGUISE”
- “INTRODUCING THE CRAIG SCOTT QUINTET”
- BILL WARFIELD BIG BAND FEATURING RANDY BRECKER – “TRUMPET STORY”
- WALT WEISKOPF – “OVERDRIVE”
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 21, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
|To pay proper tribute to bassist Charlie Haden would take some hours, even days. A national holiday would work but two hours is all I have. This program focused on three things; Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett, and the duets.|
- Death and the Flower - this brews into a creative storm without leaving a mark.
- First Song - (for Ruth) is often added, for his wife. Pretty tune, with Pat Metheny. A lot of people love him, Metheny.
- Circus '68 '69 - from the carousel intro to the chaotic finale, a great translation of political dystopia. Music Liberation Orchestra.
- Back Home Blues - a Charlie Parker line from Quartet West. Cleanse the palate, ready to continue.
- Folk Medley - little solo tucked into the middle of Don Cherry's Art Deco. Proof of Haden's value.
- Blues In Motian - Could have done two hours of Montreal Tapes and been happy.
- Pocket Full of Cherry - Keith Jarrett plays alto sax, Dewey Redman on tenor. 60th minute at full tilt.
- For a Free Portugal - with Paul Motian. see this
- Out of Focus - with Don Cherry.
- O.C. - with Ornette Coleman.
- Blues Connotation, Folk Tale, and Ramblin. This was it. This was where I started. One of the places, anyway.
- For Turiya - with Alice Coltrane on harp. A heavenly sendoff. Happy/sad right now.
Thanks for listening
|Nick Hempton's Catch and Release Project
: Saxophonist Nick Hempton (TNJT Guest 9/13/13
), is following up his 2013 "Odd Man Out" release with a project that will see the conception, development, recording, release, and marketing of a new tune every 6 weeks for the next year, with the first release on 7/15/14. We'll find out what Nick hopes to achieve with this digital-only, album-free business model experiment and what the impact to the music might be, among other things!
New Jazz Music being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 14, 2014 includes several past and future Jazz Live San Diego artists (Henry Butler 4/2011, Matt Falker 6/24/14
, Barbara Morrison...next Jazz Live 7/22/14...hear the preview
!) plus the latest from San Diego band Pocket and an Los Angeles-based Jazz guitarist that will be featured on The New Jazz Thing on 8/8/14 and performing in San Diego on 8/1, Andy Waddell. Oh...and new music from the great Cyrus Chestnut too!!
- ROY ASSAF TRIO – “SECOND ROW BEHIND THE PAINTER”
- AL BASILE – “SWING n’ STRINGS
- HENRY BUTLER-STEVEN BERNSTEIN AND THE HOT 9 – “VIPER’S DRAG”
- CYRUS CHESTNUT – “MIDNIGHT MELODIES”
- MATT FALKER – “PLAYPEN”
- BARBARA MORRISON – “I LOVE YOU, YES I DO”
- POCKET – “THE STICK BAG”
- ANDY WADDELL – “ALIVE”
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 14, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
|Missed the live blog on Thursday night, went camping, came back to World Cup final. Exhausted of every bit of concentration but there are still highlights that shine through.|
- More research into George Russell is warranted. A great period in the early 60's with incredible timeless creativity of arrangement and playing. Ezz-thetic, Stratusphunk, In K.C.
- Trane, India, extended group, Village Vanguard. Free Time!
- Rob Mazurek, Skull Sessions. Could solid matter become more dense? When do layers of sound collapse and/or expand by telepathic insinuation? Yes, and on cue, generally speaking.
Thanks for listening.
|A Jazz Great of the Modern Era has passed away. Bassist Charlie Haden was musical before he could walk and his influence is like a major branch of the Jazz Tree. He always created on the highest level, and he is remembered as a warm and giving individual. There will be much written about him in the coming days. Take a minute and read or hear something by/about/for Charlie Haden and just kind of dig that quietly. |
|A pure light will shine brightly when vocalist Barbara Morrison reflects on the legend of Dinah Washington at Jazz Live, TONIGHT. With an 18-piece orchestra supporting her, Barbara Morrison will present "I Wanna Be Loved: The Stories of the Queen of the Blues." As a Jazz Live will, the program starts at 8pm in the Saville Theatre on the City College campus. Jazz 88.3 Members are reserving their free tickets as you read this, 619-388-3037. Be sure to Print The Parking Permit. |
Henry "Skipper" Franklin makes a return appearance to Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 8, 2014, and we will be live blogging picture, Twitter, Facebook, and more.
The Skipper brings his quartet, including Theo Saunders piano, Chuck Manning sax, and Ramon Banda along with him for our Live Radio Presentation! There's a lot that goes on before, during, and after the show, and we'll do our best to capture it all right here on the Jazz Live San Diego Blog
...scroll to the bottom of the post to see how you can be part of the show.
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On Demand, Click to Play): Henry Franklin Quartet (ENTIRE SHOW) at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 8, 2014 (1:31:01)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Henry Franklin Jazz Live San Diego Interview, Tuesday, July 8, 2014 (16:14)
- Below the fold, video of the Henry Franklin Jazz Live San Diego Interview...Check It Out!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Jazz Live Preview of July 22, 2014 Show With Barbara Morrison with 18-piece Orchestra in Tribute to Dinah Washington (11:36)
- Barbara Morrison Tribute to Dinah Washington at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Below the fold, full video of the Jazz Live San Diego Interview with Henry Franklin and a photoset of pictures from the evening! And your chance to add a comment!!
|LIVE Monday, June 23, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- BE PART OF THE SHOW! Follow TNJT on Twitter, LikeThe New Jazz Thing on Facebook, and share something about The New @Jazz88 with the #TNJT or #Jazz88 hashtags! We may even be able to mention your name and comment during the Live show and you'll be part of the Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive!
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, July 7, 2014 (1:57:10)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Gabriel Sundy of The Applebrown Jazz Ensemble "The Way On Up" Interview, Monday, July 7, 2014 (19:23)
- Saxophonist Gabriel Sundy and The Applebrown Jazz Ensemble have a new disc out (and being added to Jazz 88 on 6/30/14) "The Way On Up" featuring groovy and aggressive Jazz tunes that have been long in incubation and just waiting to get out! We'll be chatting with Gabriel live in-studio about the project, his career, and Jazz in San Diego in Hour 1 of the show.
- 2014.7.7 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library: Several of the biggest names in Jazz have new releases out and being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 7, 2014, including Fred Hersch ("Floating"), Sean Jones ("Im-Pro-Vise: Never Before Seen"), and Wynton Marsalis with 6/23/14 TNJT @Jazz88 Guest Marcus Roberts ("Together Again: Live In Concert"), along with many other New discoveries!
- Links Tonight...
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage