|LIVE Monday, August 4, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- BE PART OF THE SHOW! Follow TNJT on Twitter, LikeThe New Jazz Thing on Facebook, and share something about The New @Jazz88 with the #TNJT or #Jazz88 hashtags! We may even be able to mention your name and comment during the Live show and you'll be part of the Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive!
Coming up on the show....
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, August 4, 2014 (1:58:51)
- Jazz 88 Playlist Archive Monday, August 4, 2014 (scroll to 6-8PM for tonight's playist...or check out the screenshot below)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Yve Evans Idyllwild Jazz In The Pines Interview, Monday, August 4, 2014 (10:55)
- 6:50 PM PT - Yve Evans has performed worldwide bringing her audiences on a musical journey while either at the helm playing the piano or with her strong melodic voice. There is an intangible quality in her music that gives it a life of its own; life that reaches out and touches the souls of the people that hear it. Yve won the Dixieland Monterey’s Jazz Musician of the Year Award in 2008 and the Great Ladies of Jazz Award at the Sun Valley Jazz Jamboree in 2004.
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Evan Christopher Idyllwild Jazz In The Pines Interview, Monday, August 4, 2014 (14:45)
- 7:20 PM PT - Evan Christophercombines virtuosity, immaculate taste, and enthusiasm with a commitment to exploring the full range of possibilities in the New Orleans clarinet tradition. His highly personal brand of "contemporary early-jazz" strives to extend the legacies of early Creole clarinetists such as Sidney Bechet, Omer Simeon, and Barney Bigard. Critics remarking on Christopher's dynamic expressiveness have coined his style "close-encounter music" (NEW YORK TIMES) and have called his respect for the music traditions of New Orleans, "a triumph, joining the present seamlessly to a glorious past." (THE OBSERVER, UK). He plays with a sextet which includes recent Jazz Live San Diego artist Henry "Skipper" Franklin on Saturday of the 2 day Idyllwild Jazz In The Pines Festival, August 16-17, 2014.
After the split, your chance to make a request, give some feedback, check out links to New Adds @Jazz88 / Jazzweek Jazz Chart, Previous TNJT Highlight Interviews, TNJT Calendar, and more...so READ ON!!
Jazzy Joni, edgy guitar-sax-piano, tributes to Ella and George Duke (by Al Jarreau!), trios, septets, big band, and even a Sleek Buick thrown in the mix...there's a bit of something for everyone in the new Jazz music being added to the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of August 4, 2014! You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, August 4, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT!
The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
- LAURIE ANTONIOLI – “SONGS OF SHADOW, SONGS OF LIGHT”
- ANDRES BOIARSKY – “CROSSTALK”
- BOBBY BROOM – “MY SHINING HOUR”
- BT3 – “BURN IT! LIVE”
- SYDNEY CLAIRE – “ALL ELLA”
- COLLIER & DEAN – “SLEEK BUICK”
- AL JARREAU – “MY OLD FRIEND: CELEBRATING GEORGE DUKE”
- TONY KADLECK BIG BAND – “AROUND THE HORN”
- GORDON LEE WITH THE MEL BROWN SEPTET – “TUESDAY NIGHT”
- GREG REITAN – “POST NO BILLS”
- TAD WEED – “THE TRACK HOUSE SESSIONS”
|One of my first go-to albums as a young DJ was Fried Buzzard by Lou Donaldson. Idris Muhammad was there. And now there is the sorrow of his passing. He was artistic and he was solid. Beyond that, he recorded in the upper echelon of the modern cats with traditional roots. Dig him.|
- Lou Donaldson - Midnight Creeper
- Ahmad Jamal - Big Byrd
- Joe Lovano - Friendly Fire
- Charles Earland - Black Talk
- Pharoah Sanders - Sun In Aquarius
Thanks for listening
|LIVE Monday, July 28, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |On Tonight's show
, we chat with multi-award winning Jazz pianist Fred Hersch
about his new release floating, touching on his thoughts on what he feels is one of his best releases, his work with his trio, how he composes tunes in honor of people (and dogs!) in his life, his thoughts on standards, and where he's heading in the future. We also chat with LA guitarist Andy Waddell
about his new release "Alive" and his August 1, 2014 CD release gig at Dizzy's San Diego. The Top 10 Countdown, with video archive, all of the new adds to the Jazz 88 music library, along with reviews and quotes, previously on TNJT, what's coming up next, and more!
After the split, along with your chance to comment on the show, is the Jazz 88 Speakeasy audio archives of the entire show and interviews, Top 10 Countdown video and links, tonight's playlist, and more, so Read The Full Article already!
A bit of a shortened list of new adds to the Jazz 88 Music Library for the week of July 28, 2014, but a full spectrum from Gpysy Jazz (Cyrille Aimee) to Sax/Bass Duo work from Jazz studs Steve Wilson and Lewis Nash ("Duologue").
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 28, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split...
- CYRILLE AIMEE – “IT’S A GOOD DAY”
- DAVID BASSE – “THE HERO AND THE LOVER…”
- JASON PAUL CURTIS – “FEAU BOURGEOIS CAFÉ”
- CHRIS GRECO – “STANDARDS, VOL.1”
- SHERIE JULIANNE – “10 DEGREES SOUTH”
- ANN REYNOLDS CLAVE GRINGA – “PARA CUBA CON AMOR”
- RODNEY WHITAKER – “WHEN WE FIND OURSELVES ALONE”
- STEVE WILSON/LEWIS NASH DUO – “DUOLOGUE”
|A lot of orange this time, heavy lines in the lower layers. Ideas forming thinking hearing music...|
- Titles as colors: Contours, Silent Observation, Undula.
- Titles as structure: Hottentot, Question, Metamorphosis.
- Titles as primary: Absence, Coaster, Pulse
Thanks for listening
|Jazz Live TONIGHT will be a swinging good time with The Hot Club of Detroit, a four-piece jazz ensemble with the tight tricky gypsy style that makes sitting almost impossible. Listen to the Jazz Live preview to get the groove going. As always, Jazz Live is at City College's Saville Theater at 14th and C street. Valid Jazz 88.3 Members can reserve free tickets by calling 619-388-3037. If you are not a member tickets are only $10 and can be purchased at 7:30pm the night of the show. As a courtesy, your parking permit is also free of charge, but you must print it. |
Barbara Morrison pay tribute to The Queen of the Blues, Dinah Washington, with her Big Band at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, July 22, 2014 and we will be live blogging picture, Twitter, Facebook, and more!
There's a lot that goes on before, during, and after the show, and we'll do our best to capture it all right here on the Jazz Live San Diego Blog
......BE PART OF THE SHOW by posting to Twitter with the #JazzLive or #Jazz88 hashtag or on the Jazz Live San Diego Facebook page and we may give you a shoutout at the 9PM break!
After the split, listen to
Jazz 88 Speakeasy On-demand of the Entire Concert, Jazz Live Interview, and a Preview of the August 5, 2014 Jazz Live with The Hot Club of Detroit, in addition to some of the favorite tweets from the Jazz88JazzLive Twitter feed and your chance to provide feedback with a comment!
On tonight's show,
- Antar Martin previews his Aggregation's upcoming Eric Dolphy Tribute Concert. Check out the audio and video!
- We debut the 2014.07.14 Adds To The Jazz 88 Music Library with quotes from album reviews,
- Antar guests on the Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart for July 21, 2014,
- and lots more!
After the split, links to Jazz 88 Speakeasy for the show and interviews, links to tonight's playlist aon the Playlist Archive, a nice shot of Antar and I, and more...here's the playlist for tonight...
An abundance of New Jazz hits the Jazz 88 Music Library the week of July 21, 2014, including new releases by Jazz stalwarts like Anthony Branker, Robin Eubanks, Larry Goldings, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Warfield with Randy Brecker, and former TNJT Guest Walt Weiskopf and a fantastic never-before-issued live solo performance by pianist Jaki Byard. And lots of new jazz artists to explore too!
- DEE ALEXANDER – “SONGS MY MOTHER LOVES”
- TODD BISHOP GROUP – “TRAVELOGUE”
- ANTHONY BRANKER & WORD PLAY – “THE FORWARD (TOWARDS EQUALITY) SUITE”
- JAKI BYARD – “THE LATE SHOW”
- ALAN CHAN JAZZ ORCHESTRA – “SHRIMP TALE”
- CHICAGO JAZZ PHILHARMONIC CHAMBER ENSEMBLE – “SKETCHES OF SPAIN”
- DIVA – “A SWINGIN’ LIFE”
- ROBIN EUBANKS + MENTAL IMAGES – “KLASSIK ROCK, VOL.1”
- KALI Z FASTEAU – “PIANO RAPTURE”
- OLIVER GANNON QUARTET – “EASY SAILING”
- LARRY GOLDINGS – “RAMSHACKLE SERENADE”
- CHRIS GREENE – “MUSIC APPRECIATION”
- JOE MAGNARELLI – “LOOKIN’ UP!”
- BOB MAMET – “LONDON HOUSE BLUES”
- LENNY MARCUS – “SECOND SET”
- GAETANO PARTIPILO – “BESIDES: SONGS FROM THE SIXTIES”
- PAQUITO d’RIVERA – “JAZZ MEETS THE CLASSICS”
- ADA ROVATTI – “DISGUISE”
- “INTRODUCING THE CRAIG SCOTT QUINTET”
- BILL WARFIELD BIG BAND FEATURING RANDY BRECKER – “TRUMPET STORY”
- WALT WEISKOPF – “OVERDRIVE”
You can check out their debut on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, July 21, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! The full list, with additional annotations, links to and quotes from reviews and releases, and your chance to comment on this week's New, is after the split... |
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage