Jazz 88.3 Blog
|This month is almost over and the move is getting deeper. In case you missed the memo, KSDS-FM is moving the whole thing to another building on the City College campus. The grass is green in that new building but nothing is running yet. We are broadcasting, streaming, and whatever else we can do to get the music to you, but the living breathing station is still in boxes, figuratively speaking. Meanwhile, I'm going through drills with the Index of Possibilities and calculating multiple run times for stress tested overlap with Jazz tones. And I'm really really trying not to jump to conclusions (subtle hint to the hotshots).|
|While it’s good in any case to let your Jazz voice be heard in the JazzTimes Readers Poll 2014...and an entry for a package to the 2015 Portland Jazz Festival ain’t a bad one itself, San Diego Jazz fans have at least 6 more reasons to get their vote in before the polls close at 5 p.m. EST on Monday, November 24. |
Here's the first one...Read The Entire Article to see the rest...or better yet...add a comment and give your suggestion for more San Diegan's to Write In!
1. Holly Hofmann - Best Flutist
Post to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+ with the San Diego Jazz hashtag, #SDJazz, and San Diego's Jazz 88.3 will retweet, share, like, and all number of things social with your Jazzy contribution to what should be an awesome evening exhibiting what's GREAT about our San Diego Jazz Scene!
For instance...#SDJazz Twitter Search (may change to @Jazz88 Twitter Feed as we start retweeting and such)....
Read the entire article for #SDJazz embeds, and more about this great band and CD...which you can hear on San Diego's Jazz 88.3!
Embed #SDJazz Facebook Thread
|Coleman Hawkins (Born: November 21, 1904 in St. Joseph, MO; Died: May 19, 1969 in New York, NY) is the Jazz 88 Artist of the Week for November 17, 2014. AllMusic.com's Scott Yanow sums it up this way: "A jazz legend and the colossus of the tenor saxophone, the first to use the instrument as a serious means of expression."|
Read the entire article
for more on this Jazz pioneer...
|Cellist Jeffery Zeigler, deemed by the New York Times as a cellist who performs “with unforced simplicity and beauty of tone,”, is coming to San Diego in an ArtPower! at UC San Diego show on Thursday, November 20, 8pm. AND JAZZ 88 HAS TICKETS FOR YOU!|
- Complete the entry form below to be entered in the random drawing for 5 pairs of tickets.
- Get a 2nd (and 3rd) entry by Retweeting our Twitter announcements and Sharing our Facebook Announcement
- Check out some of the Jeffery's music and info from links below
|Congratulations to Hillary! She picked up two tickets to see Jeffery Zeigler! Jazz 88 will have tickets to the upcoming Michael Dessen and Charlie Arbelaez show at The Loft at UCSD...stay tuned!|Read the entire article
for your chance at additional entries in the ticket drawing and more on Jeffery Zeigler....
|As you can imagine there are innumerable details and surprises at every turn with our current move. Rest assured that we are taking all precautions to keep the music flowing through the device of your choosing; radio, computer, mobile, etc., but we are having intermittent outages in both the on-air signal and the stream. If you're in a bind for some KSDS content remember, The Speakeasy has a lot of cool stuff that you may not have heard recently. Thanks for your patience during this time...and now back to the business at hand.|
|Airto and Eyedentity are coming to The Loft at UCSD, Saturday, November 15, 8PM and Jazz 88 has TICKETS FOR YOU! Just enter your name, email, and phone below for a chance drawing for one of 5 pair of tickets to the event. We will contact you if you've won tickets. UPDATE 11/12/14 8:45 AM: Drawing closed :( but..|TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE
Increase your chance of winning
by ReTweeting our Twitter post and Share our Facebook post! You will get one additional entry in the drawing for each RT/Share!
|WE HAVE WINNERS! Congratulations to Tomas, Tom, Steven, Oswald, and Andrew, who will be seeing Airto and Eyedentity!|
RETWEET THIS to receive another entry in the drawing!
SHARE THIS to receive another entry in the drawing!
|LIVE Monday, November 10, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive (On-Demand, Click to Play): Farhad and Louis of Dornob Release "SEGAH" on The New Jazz Thing, Monday, November 10, 2014 (11:38)
- Dornob: A group of musicians formed around 1985, Dornob play Persian classical, folk, and original music in untraditional ways, using jazz group concepts. Dornob's goal, in addition to friendship, crossing cultural bridges, learning the music, and having fun playing music, is to make Persian music accessible to young and non-Persian audiences. They have a new release out called "SEGAH" and are playing several events around town to support their release...and we'll get all of the scoop and hear their new music in Hour 2 of the New!
Read the entire article
for links to the full list of New Music being featured on the show, Top 10 Countdown of the Jazzweek.com Jazz Album Chart, show links, and more!
Now that the Grammy Submital season is past us (and all of our musician friends are fretting away about those nominations), the list of adds to the Jazz 88.3 Music Library is a tad short, but there are some great quality releases including new releases from Bill Frisell, Tony Monaco, and more!
YOU can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, November 10, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT (UPDATE: Hear the NEW DEBUT on Jazz 88 Speakeasy Archive of TNJT 11/10)!
- BRIAN CHARETTE – “GOOD TIPPER”
- JEFF COFFIN + THE MU’TET – “SIDE UP”
- GABRIEL ESPINOSA / HENDRIK MEURKENS – “SAMBA LITTLE SAMBA”
- BILL FRISELL – “SPACE AGE GUITAR”
- WAYNE HORVITZ / THE ROYAL ROOM COLLECTIVE MUSIC ENSEMBLE – “AT THE RECEPTION”
- LIQUID LIGHT – “EQUILIBRIUM”
- BRIAN MELVIN – “MODERN TIMES”
- TONY MONACO – “FURRY SLIPPERS”
- BILL WATROUS / GARY URWIN / CARL SAUNDERS / GARY URWIN JAZZ ORCHESTRA – “A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP”
Read the entire article
for your additional annotations about this week's New, links to artist websites, and your chance to Comment on New Jazz with your FREE Jazz 88 Speakeasy Account!
|Houston Person, who AllMusic.com calls "A rock-solid, full-toned tenor saxophonist who played ballads and blues with flair, expressive ardor, and power." is the Jazz 88 Artist of the Week for November 10, 2014. LISTEN for his music all week on San Diego's Jazz 88.3. |
Check out a preview of Houston from our Portrait In Jazz archive...
Read the entire article
for links to more information about this great Jazz artist!
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE