Jazz 88.3 Blog
|LIVE Monday, September 15, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
Jazz 88 Playlist Archive for Monday, September 15, 2014
(scroll to 6-8 PM PT to see entire show playlist or check out the screenshot below)
Read the Entire Article
for Jazz 88 Speakeasy Audio of the Entire Show and Marcia Ball Interview, Top 10 Countdown replay, Links to New Adds to the Jazz 88 Library, and more!
|The last few week's have provided major blows for Jazz. We lost one of our very own here in San Diego (Daniel Jackson) but also Gerald Wilson and Joe Sample. These men were integral to the art form as composers and arrangers. Their trumpet and piano, respectively, lent to the honest voice of jazz music. For Gerald, it began in the Jimmie Lunceford Orchestra in 1939 when he replaced the star trumpeter in the group at the time (Sy Oliver). Joe's contribution started in hard bop and grew into many different styles of playing. Both men led bands and forged new roads. Their music and jazz history will preserve forever. |
|Brother Jack McDuff is San Diego's Jazz 88.3 Artist of the Week starting September 15, 2014. AllMusic.com's Ron Wynn calls McDuff "A marvelous bandleader and organist as well as capable arranger..." and about the work on his instrument "...one of the funkiest, most soulful styles of all time on the Hammond B-3." Here's our AOW version of the Portrait In Jazz show that will be be airing on Wednesday, September 17, the 88th anniversary of his birth in 1926.|
Tune into Jazz 88.3 and Jazz88.org all week as our hosts play the music of this versatile artist. Read the entire article for more facts about Brother Jack and your chance to comment on your favorite tunes...
|There was something in the air that made hesitation seem inexcusable.|
- The Diminished Triangle by Gerald Wilson was grand and sweeping, varied and flexible, a showcase for strong writing and playing. He contributed greatly, rest in peace.
- The Great Lake Suite will prove to be problematic because it's pretty deep in the dig/digest/grok sense and it provides endless variables of any/all elements. Wadada Leo Smith, Henry Threadgill, John Lindberg, Jack DeJohnette.
- Charles Gayle is commitment personified. He is like a laser beam of intention balancing between Larry Roland and Michael TA Thompson.
Thanks for listening
A fantastic night of Jazz Live San Diego with Jeffrey Joe Morin with Trio Los Besos, Janet Klein and Her Parlor Boys, and all in honor of the diamond birthday of Jazz 88.3's host of Jazz Roots, Lou Curtiss...
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click to Play): Jazz Live San Diego (Entire Show), Tuesday, September 9, 2014
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Janet Klein Jazz Live San Diego Interview, Tuesday, September 9, 2014\
- Coming Up - Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Jazz Live San Diego Preview - Joshua Breakstone - Tuesday, October 14, 2014 ()
- AllMusic.com Biography of Joshua Breakstone by Scott Yanow
- AllAboutJazz.com Review of 2014 With The Wind and The Rain: "Loaded with creative solos, improvisational twists, an excellent selection of music and a lively augmented string-based instrumentation, the With the Wind and the Rain reveals a masterful performance from Joshua Breakstone and crew, and challenges the normal definition of the standard rhythm section.
|A list of new to really RAVE about, with new projects from former Jazz Live San Diego guests The Bad Plus and Roseanna Vitro, Jane Bunnett, Stanley Clarke, former San Diegan Kristin Korb, Chick Corea, and LOAD MORE! You can check out their Jazz 88 DEBUT on The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88, Monday, September 8, 2014 between 6 and 8 PM PT! (Update: Link to TNJT Debut coming soon)! |
- THE BAD PLUS – “INVITABLE WESTERN” (Okeh)
- DAVID BIXLER AUCTION PROJECT – “SLINK” (Self released)
- JANE BUNNETT – “MAQUEQUE” (Justin Time)
- STANLEY CLARKE – “UP” (Mack Avenue)
- KRISTIN KORB – “FINDING HOME” (Double K Music)
- KENNY WERNER - “COALITION” (Half Note)
- CHICK COREA TRIO – “TRILOGY” (Concord)
- CONRAD HERWIG - “THE LATIN SIDE OF JOE HENDERSON” (HN)
- MEDESKI, SCOFIELD, MARTIN & WOOD – “JUICE” (Indirecto)
- ADAM MECKLER ORCHESTRA – “WHEN THE CLOUDS LOOK LIKE THIS” (Self released)
- ANDY MILNE & DAPP THEORY – “FORWARD IN ALL DIRECTIONS”
- WADADA LEO SMITH – “THE GREAT LAKES SUITES” (TUM)
- IVO PERELMAN & KARL BERGER – “REVERIE” (Leo Records)
- GARY SCHUNK – “KAYAK” (DMT)
- MARK TURNER QUARTET – “LATHE OF HEAVEN” (ECM)
- ROSEANNA VITRO – “CLARITY” (Random Act)
Read the entire article for the full list with further annotations and a place for you to Comment On The New!
San Diego Blues Festival founder and music writer Michael Kinsman
has begun hosting “Every Shade of Blue
” Saturday nights from 8 p.m. to midnight. You can hear his first show by clicking this link
and in the future all shows will be in the Speakeasy
. Kinsman succeeds on-air personality “T,” who retired June 30 after more than 30 years with the station. “We’re thrilled to have Kinsman join us,” said Program Director Claudia Russell. “His love for the blues, the San Diego community and music education is unwavering – a perfect fit for KSDS."
|Steve Turre is the Jazz 88 Artist of the Week for September 8, 2014. You'll be hearing his music all week as our hosts pay tribute to the man AllMusic.com calls "Perhaps the most visible jazz trombonist of the 20th and 21st centuries. " Here's our "AOW" version of the Portrait in Jazz feature of Steve Turre...|
Read the full article
for your opportunity to pay tribute, through comments, to this great, living Jazz Trombonist, along with links to additional information about Steve, video and photos of his appearance at Jazz Live San Diego, Tuesday, January 13, 2009, and more!
|LIVE Monday, September 8, 2014, 6-8 PM PT @Jazz88 San Diego's Jazz 88.3 FM, Jazz88.org, and Apple/Android Apps to The New Jazz Thing @Jazz88 with Vince Outlaw...Supported by Listener Contributors like YOU and...YOUR BUSINESS (learn more about underwriting The New Jazz Thing!). |
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy (On-Demand, Click To Play): The New Jazz Thing (Entire Show), Monday, September 8, 2014 (2:01:46)
- Jazz 88 Speakeasy: Matt Smith of Juice Box CD and Release Party Preview, Monday, September 8, 20214 (10:00)
- Matt Smith of Juice Box! San Diego's Juice Box plays groovy, soulful, Jazz on classic instruments in classic formats...they are releasing their 10" debut on vinyl Thursday, September 11, 2014 at a release show at Seven Grand in North Park. Drummer Matt Smith will be checking in during Hour 1 of TNJT to preview some cuts and tell us what give Juice Box their "Juice"!
- JUICE BOX: A New Take on Soul and Funk (San Diego Troubadour, September 2014)
New Adds at Jazz 88, Top 10 Countdown, Jazz News, and more coming up!
|Originally I wanted to type this as the show was underway. Capture the action. Feel the vibe. Apparently I was ignoring what I've learned over the last decades of this endeavor...the scene changes and you are at its mercy. And it has none. |
- Saturday morning, Cowles Mtn early, international break so no compelling distraction, typing now.
- San Diego lost a local legend when Daniel Jackson passed away. He helped many musicians in many ways over the years. read more
- Confirmed but not yet announced, yours truly will permanently fill the Friday night Progressive Nights chair, 10pm - midnight, begininning September 19th. Thursday nights unchanged except for slight adjustments in the Index of Possibilities because there should be some separation.
Thanks for listening
City College Student Radio|
Pat Launer's Center Stage
Listen to Jazz 88.3 with our FREE